Professional Web Applications Themes

Running Office on 2 computers - Mac Applications & Software

I just got a new G4 desktop to complement my G4 laptop, but upon installing my copy of Office v.X discovered that I cannot run Office applications simultaneously on both computers (since both are connected to DSL). Do I have to plead with Microsoft to give me another product key so I can run on both computers (which I believe I am allowed to do with a single purchased copy of Office, since they are both under my ownership)? Alternatively, I "borrowed" a different Office product key from someone else's copy but cannot figure out how to uninstall Office so ...

  1. #1

    Default Running Office on 2 computers

    I just got a new G4 desktop to complement my G4 laptop, but upon
    installing my copy of Office v.X discovered that I cannot run Office
    applications simultaneously on both computers (since both are connected to
    DSL). Do I have to plead with Microsoft to give me another product key so
    I can run on both computers (which I believe I am allowed to do with a
    single purchased copy of Office, since they are both under my ownership)?
    Alternatively, I "borrowed" a different Office product key from someone
    else's copy but cannot figure out how to uninstall Office so as to
    reinstall it with the new product key. Any ideas?

    Chris

    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Running Office on 2 computers

    In article
    <Stanford.EDU>,
    Chris Kim <stanford.edu> wrote:

    Huh? Isn't this counter to M$ licensing policies? At most of the
    places I've worked, they've had to buy a separate copy of Office for
    each system they installed. Once site had elaborate auditing and
    records retension procedures to ensure they could show what system had
    what set of disks and when it was installed, just in case the BSA
    knocked on their door.

    Since M$ Office X won't allow you to run 2 copies with the same license
    on the same network, why don't you either:

    1) run one copy at a time

    2) _Buy_ another copy rather than 'borrowing' someone else's license key
    (M$ legal would probably say you violated their copyrights and 'stole'
    the key with the intent of bypassing their product licensing).

    Meanwhile, you've very intelligently posted all this in a public forum.
    Very smart.

    Just wait for the Stanford Provost's office to knock on your door [isn't
    software 'piracy' a violation of the Stanford code of ethics]...

    Are you sharing music files too?

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    In article
    <Stanford.EDU>, Chris
    Kim <stanford.edu> wrote:

    Hi Chris --

    I don't think it unreasonable for one person to run Office applics on
    their two computers.

    1. Is it the Install that fails? Or when you try to launch the
    application? I don't know if the Installer phones home to check for
    duplicate installs.

    2. In my experience, I can duplicate an Office installation when I use
    Carbon Copy Cloner to clone a hard disk.

    3. I can run the office applications on both computers, but not
    simultaneously. Each application does a broadcast at startup on the LAN
    to look for other copies running under the same serial number. You can
    probably think of some easy ways to defeat this (unplug ethernet when
    you start Word... etc.)

    4. If you want to pull out all the stops, you would use ipfw in OS X
    to block the UDP packets involved in the checking. You would want to
    make a script and run it from terminal. For details, find this article
    at http://groups.google.com from the Advanced Search page

    com

    Good luck. Trees are good.

    -- Sally

    --
    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    com -or- org

  4. #4

    Chris Kim:

    *****

    MS allows you to install a single Office license on two machines, but
    your license does not permit you to run the two copies simultaneously.
    If the two machines are on the same network Office will probe the
    network to see if another copy with the same numbers is running, and
    will stop loading. It has nothing to do with DSL -- it's just that your
    two Macs are networked. I once heard of a little AppleScript called
    "OfficeFixer" that disables checking and permits both copies to run...

    I tend to fix this in a somewhat convoluted way -- I use Timbuktu on
    all of my computers, and if I want to launch Office X while it is
    running on the other OS X Mac on my network in another part of the
    house -- and if I'm too lazy to go there and shut it down -- I use
    Timbuktu to control the other Mac from the one I am using and I shut
    down Office from there.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  5. #5

    In article <270920032357063861%net>, Davoud <net>
    wrote:

    Just an idea - the check is done over the network. If you setup your
    firewall properly - e.g. block all incoming traffic and allow all or
    selected outgoing traffic (not to break your other apps. This check
    will fail to find the other copy and you can use one copy at the time
    not breaking the license agreement while not suffering from the other
    copy left running. If you need to setup this from more user friendly
    environment than terminal command line look for BrickHouse shareware
    package.

    Jan
    Jan Guest

  6. #6

    In article <280920030843105706%com>,
    Jan Musil <com> wrote:

    > Just an idea - the check is done over the network. If you setup your
    > firewall properly - e.g. block all incoming traffic and allow all or
    > selected outgoing traffic (not to break your other apps. This check
    > will fail to find the other copy and you can use one copy at the time
    > not breaking the license agreement while not suffering from the other
    > copy left running. If you need to setup this from more user friendly
    > environment than terminal command line look for BrickHouse shareware
    > package.[/ref]

    FWIW, in 10.2 and up you can just turn on the firewall in System
    Preferences. That's why I've said before that this check Office
    performs is so easy to defeat that many people have no doubt done so
    completely by accident.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  7. #7

    In article <tph-6E27D3.14414128092003localhost>, Tom Harrington
    <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    > > Just an idea - the check is done over the network. If you setup your
    > > firewall properly - e.g. block all incoming traffic and allow all or
    > > selected outgoing traffic (not to break your other apps. This check
    > > will fail to find the other copy and you can use one copy at the time
    > > not breaking the license agreement while not suffering from the other
    > > copy left running. If you need to setup this from more user friendly
    > > environment than terminal command line look for BrickHouse shareware
    > > package.[/ref]
    >
    > FWIW, in 10.2 and up you can just turn on the firewall in System
    > Preferences. That's why I've said before that this check Office
    > performs is so easy to defeat that many people have no doubt done so
    > completely by accident.[/ref]

    have a similar situation. I have a G3 (2.7) and G5 (2.7.), using a
    Cable router connecting both. Went into System Preferences. Could not
    find anything about firewall. Would you please tell me where it's
    located? Thanks

    --
    Dowop
    Dowop Guest

  8. #8

    Dowop <com> wrote:

    I have no idea what 2.7 means, but it's in Sharing.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest