Professional Web Applications Themes

Running XP as a sub-process. - Ubuntu

I have Ubuntu and I am at the point of just getting used to it but I have to run Windows most of the time for various (mostly work) reasons due to the fact that all the people I have worked with use it. If they call me and want something it is always Windows, or even in one case DOS related. Is there something buried in the basic Ubuntu that I haven't explored my way into yet or a GPL based add-in that will allow me to make an add-in where I could install XP and have it fat, ...

  1. #1

    Default Running XP as a sub-process.

    I have Ubuntu and I am at the point of just getting used to it but I
    have to run Windows most of the time for various (mostly work) reasons
    due to the fact that all the people I have worked with use it. If they
    call me and want something it is always Windows, or even in one case DOS
    related. Is there something buried in the basic Ubuntu that I haven't
    explored my way into yet or a GPL based add-in that will allow me to
    make an add-in where I could install XP and have it fat, dumb, and
    happy, but be running as a process under Ubuntu. I would like not to
    have to dual boot if possible but to have Windows running in the
    background while I use Linux, so I could control the time slices Windows
    gets while I am doing Linux things. Like 50-50, or 60-40, or even 90-10.
    Since I have 4 windows now on my Gnome desktop couldn't one of those be
    a Windows desktop or would I need to run KDE? If so, could KDE be run as
    one of those windows under Gnome and XP be run as a window under KDE.
    Has anybody here tried this?
    I don't LIKE windows, but I hate rebooting just as much if not more.
    --
    Bill (Sleepless biker) Baka
    bill Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Running XP as a sub-process.

    bill was all like, you know, and then said something like a ...
    [...]
    [...]

    Look at not-for-free Win4Lin ( http://www.win4lin.com/ ) or VMWare (
    http://www.vmware.com/ )... and the GPL'd WINE ( http://www.winehq.com/ ).

    --
    BlackTopBum
    Second childhood !?

    BlackTopBum Guest

  3. #3

    BlackTopBum wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    > Look at not-for-free Win4Lin ( http://www.win4lin.com/ ) or VMWare (
    > http://www.vmware.com/ )... and the GPL'd WINE ( http://www.winehq.com/ ).
    >[/ref]
    And spend more money to run Windows?

    --
    Bill (Sleepless biker) Baka
    bill Guest

  4. #4

    bill was all like, you know, and then said something like a ...

    You asked for help and received it. Did you bother to check out the web
    links I spent my time on getting for you? I provided three choices - two
    of which come at a price and one is ... free !!! So, quit your whining and
    get WINE if you wish.

    Bugger off ..
    --
    BlackTopBum
    Second childhood !?

    BlackTopBum Guest

  5. #5

    BlackTopBum wrote:

    > You asked for help and received it. Did you bother to check out the web
    > links I spent my time on getting for you? I provided three choices - two
    > of which come at a price and one is ... free !!! So, quit your whining and
    > get WINE if you wish.
    >
    > Bugger off ..[/ref]

    I looked but don't have time to go in depth until later tonight.
    Thanks, I think.

    --
    Bill (Sleepless biker) Baka
    bill Guest

  6. #6

    bill was all like, you know, and then said something like a ...

    From what I understand - I have nothing Winders-based and have been free
    over 6 years now - WINE does a good job of it for apps and is improving
    with games ... hey, what Winders apps to you "have to use" for work?
    Perhaps there's a compatible alternative in Linux I know of.
    --
    BlackTopBum
    Second childhood !?

    BlackTopBum Guest

  7. #7

    BlackTopBum wrote:

    > From what I understand - I have nothing Winders-based and have been free
    > over 6 years now - WINE does a good job of it for apps and is improving
    > with games ... hey, what Winders apps to you "have to use" for work?
    > Perhaps there's a compatible alternative in Linux I know of.[/ref]

    Some of the Microsoft Office stuff but OpenOffice seems to handle that.
    It's the things like Autocad, Borland C 3.1 (DOS) (rarely now), Protel
    and some drafting programs mainly that I get asked for some maintenance
    on things I did. Since some of these are in the line of doing favors for
    people to keep business lines open, they are not all revenue generators
    for me, and actually kind of anchoring me in the past. That's why I want
    to cross over to Linux of some kind as a main OS and relegate Windows to
    a sub process. The DOS lives on it's own drive that gets taken out of
    the computer when I am not transferring files to it or from it. That is
    becoming a rare occurrence since most of my old DOS work is on machines
    that are being retired. It amazes me that some things I worked on that
    long ago are still in use, but some guys I worked with started a company
    to maintain them and even if they aren't high tech, they are still in
    use. When a semiconductor company retires a product line and sells it
    off I think the old machines migrate with the old manufacturing
    equipment. The last time I got locked into a company that used Windows
    stuff was 2001, but they are history now. Maybe I should just not give
    them my new E-mail and be done with the hassle. I liked the Borland DOS
    IDE and totally hate the Windows Visual Studio stuff, so going to
    command line GCC might not hurt.
    Finally, I am considering Freespire, at least as a way to look at
    Linspire. That one I haven't tried yet.

    --
    Bill (Sleepless biker) Baka
    bill Guest

  8. #8

    bill was all like, you know, and then said something like a ...

    There are some Linux CAD apps but I've never needed them - my work is in a
    different direction. Found a list but I can't speak about it. Still, here
    is where you'll find some info: http://www.usinglinux.org/cad/ .
    Although, WINE does do CAD for Winders ...

    Also, there are several IDE in Linux - even GPL'd versions ported to Win.

    As for the command-line, well, you'll love the power of Linux.

    Wish you well,
    --
    BlackTopBum
    Second childhood !?

    BlackTopBum Guest

  9. #9

    BlackTopBum wrote:

    > There are some Linux CAD apps but I've never needed them - my work is in a
    > different direction. Found a list but I can't speak about it. Still, here
    > is where you'll find some info: http://www.usinglinux.org/cad/ .
    > Although, WINE does do CAD for Winders ...
    >
    > Also, there are several IDE in Linux - even GPL'd versions ported to Win.
    >
    > As for the command-line, well, you'll love the power of Linux.
    >
    > Wish you well,
    >[/ref]
    I could do damn near anything from a DOS command line with enough
    switches h=thrown in so Linux should be the same in that respect.
    As for Autocad I may be stuck.

    --
    Bill (Sleepless biker) Baka

    Bill Guest

  10. #10

    Bill wrote:

    Please don't use html or mime encoding in usenet. Ignored.

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

    CBFalconer Guest

  11. #11

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Please don't use html or mime encoding in usenet. Ignored.
    >
    >[/ref]
    Does this work for you?

    --
    Bill (Sleepless biker) Baka

    Bill Guest

  12. #12

    Bill Baka was all like, you know, and then said something like a ...

    [snipped 22 lines of HTML code]

    Bill, that's better but see what is below your sig delimiter - all that
    vcard stuff.

    --
    BlackTopBum
    Second childhood !?

    BlackTopBum Guest

  13. #13

    Bill Baka wrote:

    >> Please don't use html or mime encoding in usenet. Ignored.
    >>[/ref]
    > Does this work for you?[/ref]

    Yup. HTML articles are liable to be summarily deleted by the
    better news servers, so it is in your own interest to avoid it.

  14. #14

    CBFalconer <com> writes:

    > Please don't use html or mime encoding in usenet. Ignored.[/ref]

    Don't bring your whining net nanny attitude here please. There are people
    who have helped you out in this ng.
    Hadron Guest

  15. #15

    Hadron Quark was all like, you know, and then said something like a ...

    But he's right - HTML in a non-binary is a decades old faux pas ...
    "decades" refers to the Net's beginning at Berkley and subsequent use
    between colleges and the government and eventually to the public.

    Also, many people use text-only (non-HTML - like PAN, Knode, ect.) news
    readers.

    Plus, there exists *many* users - mostly outside the U.S. -
    who pay on a dial up / per byte Net access. Using HTML code,
    and failing to properly snip (edit) posts, wastes their money and time ...
    failing to do so is ultimately very inconsiderate (A.K.A. "rude").

    Besides all that, HTML is hard to wade through to find the "text" - more
    wasted time and a failure to clearly communicate.

    Here's an example (apologies to all)"

    nflsidn o;vtlhej ksvm;ocan't aihvdhsakrfslrjtlhdrsg;
    milrdtlvrcijco'ca,spo you;sdzjk gmlom
    ereadr apcjeil;cxir;c;fks;ljrad.szjgmo;i st;scuf'j;iolzdj
    thismflkjgkdjgf'.czk,fl,zk?

    Somewhere in that mess reads "can't you read this?"
    --
    BlackTopBum
    Second childhood !?

    BlackTopBum Guest

  16. #16

    BlackTopBum <wall> writes:

    > But he's right - HTML in a non-binary is a decades old faux pas ...[/ref]

    I know he's right. But he posts so many such rebuttals it becomes a PITA.
    Hadron Guest

  17. #17

    bill <net> writes:

    http://maconstuff.blogspot.com/2006/06/how-to-run-windows-xp-under-ubuntu.html

    Doesnt get easier than that.

    --
    wet dream, n.:
    Overnight sensation.

  18. #18

    Hadron Quark wrote:

    > http://maconstuff.blogspot.com/2006/06/how-to-run-windows-xp-under-ubuntu.html
    >
    > Doesnt get easier than that.
    >
    >[/ref]
    It sure looks good. Now I have to go off and read the article.

    --
    Bill (Sleepless biker) Baka

    Bill Guest

  19. #19

    Bill Baka wrote:

    >> http://maconstuff.blogspot.com/2006/06/how-to-run-windows-xp-under-ubuntu.html
    >>
    >> Doesnt get easier than that.
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    > It sure looks good. Now I have to go off and read the article.[/ref]
    I found this in the process.

    http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/ekeller00/html/Keller_06_UbuntuEmulatedInWindows_E.html

    Ubuntu inside Windows XP.
    I might try this first since I have a ton of space on one of my XP drives.

    --
    Bill (Sleepless biker) Baka

    Bill Guest

  20. #20

    Hadron Quark was all like, you know, and then said something like a ...

    Oh, wasn't aware of it - my bad.
    --
    BlackTopBum
    Second childhood !?