Professional Web Applications Themes

Safari - Another Web site bites the dust - Mac Applications & Software

Seems like TV Guide has redesigned it's site: http://www.tvguide.com/listings/ In Safari (mine anyway) the listings are all squeezed to the left, the time line is missing and the scroll bar doesn't work. Unusable. It works fine with IE however. -- -Ernie- "There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will." Have you done your backup today?...

  1. #1

    Default Safari - Another Web site bites the dust

    --
    -Ernie-

    "There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
    suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will."

    Have you done your backup today?
    Ernie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Safari - Another Web site bites the dust

    Ernie Klein:

    Get TiVo. Don't need no stinkin' TV Guide. Or rather, TV Guide is right
    there on TiVo.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  3. #3

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Ernie Klein <net> wrote:

    According to another newsgroup, the problem is not that TV Guide
    redesigned its site, but that you installed a new version of Java. Old
    version of Java will render the site in the old way.
    Philo Guest

  4. #4

    In article <130920031708152096%com>,
    Philo D <com> wrote:

    > According to another newsgroup, the problem is not that TV Guide
    > redesigned its site, but that you installed a new version of Java. Old
    > version of Java will render the site in the old way.[/ref]

    Nope. Last week TV Guide worked fine with Safari, I have installed
    nothing at all for weeks.

  5. #5

    In article <130920031708152096%com>, Philo D
    <com> wrote:

    I have not installed the new version of Java yet and the site is messed
    up for me too. It was fine before the redesign.

    --
    Charles
    Charles Guest

  6. #6

    Philo D <com> wrote:

    > According to another newsgroup, the problem is not that TV Guide
    > redesigned its site, but that you installed a new version of Java. Old
    > version of Java will render the site in the old way.[/ref]

    That's not correct. That page doesn't use Java.

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  7. #7

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Ernie Klein <net> wrote:

    Safari is still buggy with java. The next release with that other cat
    will be much better....I hope.
    --

    Guest

  8. #8

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Ernie Klein <net> wrote:

    If I reload the page it usually gets better. The left most column with
    channel and name is still squashed, but the other 4 columns with shows
    spreads out. And I can read the cahnnel numbers. Its still ugly. I
    reported the bug to Apple. I hope everyone does. It's surely TV Guides
    fault though.

    J-

    --
    Jason Parrish
    com

  9. #9

    Davoud <net> wrote:

    > Get TiVo. Don't need no stinkin' TV Guide. Or rather, TV Guide is right
    > there on TiVo.[/ref]

    That's a rather costly way to avoid a problematic web site, isn't it?
    ;-)

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  10. #10

    Ernie Klein: [/ref][/ref]

    Davoud: [/ref]

    Mike Rosenberg:

    It might be if that's all TiVo did. If you have a TV, you need a TiVo!

    Davoud

  11. #11

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Jason Parrish <com> wrote:

    I reported it to both TV Guide & Apple. I don't know enough about
    browser protocol to know whose fault it is. IE understands the protocol
    but Safari does not, but that doesn't mean that both TV Guide and IE are
    not using some obscure non-standard protocol that they should not be
    using at all and Safari is doing the right thing. On the other hand it
    may just be (another) bug in Safari. I still can't use Safari with the
    Charles Schwab site. There are some screens on that site that have
    clickable items that should open another window and communicate back to
    the site to load the window. Safari does neither.

  12. #12

    In article <1g19sx3.1o7xr1ffyq5jjN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > > Get TiVo. Don't need no stinkin' TV Guide. Or rather, TV Guide is right
    > > there on TiVo.[/ref]
    >
    > That's a rather costly way to avoid a problematic web site, isn't it?
    > ;-)[/ref]

    Wouldn't it be simpler to turn of the damn TV?

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  13. #13

    works fine for me X.2.6 safari v1

    Fetch, Guest

  14. #14

    Ernie Klein <net> writes:

    Since IE is horribly broken standards-wise, designers who make stuff
    work on IE (using css, for example), can easily break all other browsers.

    The number of hacks my web-designers have to use to get buy all the non-
    standard stuff in browsers is amazing.

    -Stephen
    Stephen Guest

  15. #15

    In article <newsguy.com>, Ernie Klein <net> writes:

    TV Guide also redesigned their print edition to make it useless.
    The major tv schedule variety area in the Boston area is the weekday
    afternoon block on the second string PBS station (WGBX, channel 44).
    The new TV Guide print format is aimed at recurring soap operas on
    the commercial stations, so on its listing for this 25-hours-per-week
    block on Channel 44 it says merely

    Various programs
    Larry Guest

  16. #16

    A very good TV lising tool is Watson, at http://www.karelia.com/watson/. It's
    cheap and to the point, and has lots of other tools.

    Tim Guest

  17. #17

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:42:29 -0600, Davoud wrote
    (in message <130920031642291697%net>):

    > Get TiVo. Don't need no stinkin' TV Guide. Or rather, TV Guide is right
    > there on TiVo.
    >
    > Davoud
    >
    >[/ref]

    Sure, what's one more monthly payment? Besides, it's the patriotic thing to
    do - spend for the health of your country.

    Chris H.

    Chris Guest

  18. #18

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 9:59:06 -0600, Davoud wrote
    (in message <140920031159062080%net>):

    Must be a stockholder.

    Chris H.

    Chris Guest

  19. #19

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 9:18:24 -0600, Chris H <Invalid> wrote:

    > Must be a stockholder.[/ref]

    I'm not, but you haven't actually ever used one, have you. Changes how
    you watch TV completely and entirely for the good. It's the sort of
    thing that, until you "get it", you wonder what all the fuss is about.
    Kinda like my dad; never wanted an electric garage door opener...a week
    after I installed one for him, he couldn't imagine not having one.

    Dave Guest

  20. #20

    Looks like the TV Guide site was fixed.

    please mail OT responses only