Professional Web Applications Themes

Safari can't handle https - Mac Networking

My copy of Safari can't open any https. It is version 1.2.1, which I think is the most recent one. Following a tip on a previous post, I ran a command line that created a Debug menu on Safari. At the bottom of it, there's an option that lists supported protocols, but https is not there, only http, ftp, file, and about. I tried changing the user agent to Mozilla, IE, and so, but it didn't work. I'm using Firefox for https sites, but I'd like Safari to handle those sites. Thanks, tony....

  1. #1

    Default Safari can't handle https

    My copy of Safari can't open any https. It is version 1.2.1, which I
    think is the most recent one. Following a tip on a previous post, I
    ran a command line that created a Debug menu on Safari. At the bottom
    of it, there's an option that lists supported protocols, but https is
    not there, only http, ftp, file, and about. I tried changing the user
    agent to Mozilla, IE, and so, but it didn't work. I'm using Firefox
    for https sites, but I'd like Safari to handle those sites. Thanks,
    tony.
    tony Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Safari can't handle https

    In article <google.com>, tony
    <com.br> wrote:

    I, too, have the same problem. Under Internet Explorer I have no
    problem; under Safari I do. I've sent Apple 2 'bug reports' - no
    response.

    Hope somebody out there can help.

    --
    angel
    Dowop Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>, tony
    <com.br> wrote:

    https doesn't show in Debug here, but I have no trouble with the secure
    sites I need to access...
    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    Dowop <com> wrote:

    > I, too, have the same problem. Under Internet Explorer I have no
    > problem; under Safari I do. I've sent Apple 2 'bug reports' - no
    > response.[/ref]

    Which doesn't surprise me, because Safari *can* open https. I don't know
    what went wrong in your case, but Safari certainly does not have a bug
    like that. Could it be you are blocking certain sites with something
    else? Is the https page a kind of pop-up window and are you blocking
    those in Safari?

    --
    Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
    Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>,
    com.br (tony) wrote:

    What actually happens when you try to visit a secure site with Safari?
    Saying it "can't open" covers a lot of ground as far as problems go.
    The debug menu isn't supposed to list https as an option.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.

  6. #6

    tony wrote:

    I agree with the others, e.g. you have PithHelmet or some other item
    interfering with these sites. My guess is that it's unlikely
    that all https sites block traffic from your domain, but maybe
    you could try accessing them thru a proxy server.
    George Guest

  7. #7

    In article <tph-FFAAC9.09563724052004localhost>, Tom Harrington
    <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    > What actually happens when you try to visit a secure site with Safari?
    > Saying it "can't open" covers a lot of ground as far as problems go.
    > The debug menu isn't supposed to list https as an option.[/ref]

    I, too, cannot access https via Safari - no problem with internet
    Explorer.

    If you go to http://supernews.com/
    then go to bottom and click on Account Manager

    it brings up https://my_account_name.supernews.com/accountmanager

    Safari hangs trying to "Contacting "my_account_name.supernews.com"

    The only way to do anything more with Safari, is to Quit Safari.
    As I said above, I have absolutely no problem with Internet Explorer.

    --
    dowop
    Dowop Guest

  8. #8

    Dowop <com> wrote:

    I have an account with Supernews and I have no problem accessing my
    account details this way using Safari. It does take a little time before
    the next page opens, but it does open.

  9. #9

    In article <240520041814159068%com>, Dowop <com>
    wrote:

    > > What actually happens when you try to visit a secure site with Safari?
    > > Saying it "can't open" covers a lot of ground as far as problems go.
    > > The debug menu isn't supposed to list https as an option.[/ref]
    >
    > I, too, cannot access https via Safari - no problem with internet
    > Explorer.
    >
    > If you go to http://supernews.com/
    > then go to bottom and click on Account Manager
    >
    > it brings up https://my_account_name.supernews.com/accountmanager
    >
    > Safari hangs trying to "Contacting "my_account_name.supernews.com"
    >
    > The only way to do anything more with Safari, is to Quit Safari.
    > As I said above, I have absolutely no problem with Internet Explorer.[/ref]

    I don't have an account but clicking on <http://supernews.com/> brings
    up a dialog box requesting a Name and Password to access
    <norm.supeernews.com>

    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  10. #10

    In article <1gebfxh.6bf7jniqnro6N%invalid>, Johan W.
    Elzenga <invalid> wrote:

    > I have an account with Supernews and I have no problem accessing my
    > account details this way using Safari. It does take a little time before
    > the next page opens, but it does open.[/ref]

    I tried it again. This time waiting for 20 minutes. Nothing. I have to
    Quit in order for Safari to access any other URL. How long do you have
    to wait before you get in?

    --
    dowop
    Dowop Guest

  11. #11

    invalid (Johan W. Elzenga) wrote:

    > I have an account with Supernews and I have no problem accessing my
    > account details this way using Safari. It does take a little time before
    > the next page opens, but it does open.[/ref]

    Here's another https page to try: <https://online.wellsfargo.com>

    I don't have any trouble accessing my Wells Fargo account there with
    Safari.

    If you've installed Paranoid Android to protect against some recent OSX
    security exploits, it may ask for verification when you try to go to an
    https site from certain applications.

    I don't know if this affects accessing https sites from Safari, but I
    notice that More Internet shows that Safari is the designated helper
    application for https on my iMac. You might want to check that your
    system has that designation. You can get More Internet (freeware) here:
    <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16066>

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:net>

  12. #12

    In article <240520041814159068%com>, Dowop <com>
    wrote:

    Not here. I have a SuperNews account, followed your link, clicked on
    Account Manager and was in like Flynn.

    There's something else going on on your system. It's not Safari.

    djb
    Dave Guest

  13. #13

    In article <dca.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    Seriously? That link takes me to SuperNews and then to my account info,

    djb
    Dave Guest

  14. #14

    In article <dca.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    > > I, too, cannot access https via Safari - no problem with internet
    > > Explorer.
    > >
    > > If you go to http://supernews.com/
    > > then go to bottom and click on Account Manager
    > >
    > > it brings up https://my_account_name.supernews.com/accountmanager
    > >
    > > Safari hangs trying to "Contacting "my_account_name.supernews.com"
    > >
    > > The only way to do anything more with Safari, is to Quit Safari.
    > > As I said above, I have absolutely no problem with Internet Explorer.[/ref]
    >
    > I don't have an account but clicking on <http://supernews.com/> brings
    > up a dialog box requesting a Name and Password to access
    > <norm.supeernews.com>[/ref]

    I clicked on your URL above (the same URL that I use) and I do not see
    the dialog box requesting a Name and Password to access ....

    What I see- on the right, Personal Accounst and ISP & Corporate. If I
    click on the Personal, it goes to a page of instructons. Are saying
    that you can actually get in and see all the information & statistics
    of the account? And I'm wondering just how you got that account name.

    There are 2 ways of getting the accont information.
    1 This URL and clicking on Account Manager at the bottom of the page
    2. Byspassing this page and use the URL that goes directly to the
    account. This uses the https URL.

    I still feel it is a problem with Safari or some combination of
    programs I'm using with Safari, because I have absolutely no problems
    using Internet Explorer. I get in, quite literally, within 1
    second.with IE.

    --
    dowop
    Dowop Guest

  15. #15

    In article <240520042232100052%com>, Dowop <com>
    wrote:

    about 3 - 5 seconds here.
    Dave Guest

  16. #16

    In article <240520042045255642%balderstone.ca>, Dave
    Balderstone <balderstone.ca> wrote:

    > Not here. I have a SuperNews account, followed your link, clicked on
    > Account Manager and was in like Flynn.
    >
    > There's something else going on on your system. It's not Safari.
    >
    > djb[/ref]
    Thanks for responding so promptly. I sure wish I knew what it is. I'm
    on a G5, OS 10.3.3. I'm just wondering if this could be the source of
    the problem. Again, thanks for responding.

    --
    dowop
    Dowop Guest

  17. #17

    In article <240520040823224283%balderstone.ca>,
    Dave Balderstone <balderstone.ca> wrote:

    :> In article <google.com>, tony
    :> <com.br> wrote:
    :>
    :> > My copy of Safari can't open any https. It is version 1.2.1, which I
    :> > think is the most recent one. Following a tip on a previous post, I
    :> > ran a command line that created a Debug menu on Safari. At the bottom
    :> > of it, there's an option that lists supported protocols, but https is
    :> > not there, only http, ftp, file, and about
    :>
    :> https doesn't show in Debug here, but I have no trouble with the secure
    :> sites I need to access...

    That's because "https" is not a protocol. It's simply the http protocol
    with support for security by way of encryption.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  18. #18

    In article <240520042300043389%com>, Dowop <com>
    wrote:

    I'd log out and in at least, or reboot and see what happens.

    Or just try again later...

    I have seen my net connection get confoozeled from time to time, and
    usually blame my ISP for being temporarily brain dead.

    djb
    Dave Guest

  19. #19

    >> If you go to http://supernews.com/ [/ref]

    Maybe because there's no such host:

    ping: unknown host my_account_name.supernews.com

    Clicking 'Account Manager' here in Safari goes to norm.supernews.com,
    which is a valid host (216.168.3.21), at which point Safari drops
    down a name/password dialog.

    Clear your Safari cache, maybe that will help. In any case, sounds to
    me like this problem has nothing to do with https at all.

    noman Guest

  20. #20

    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote in message news:<tph-FFAAC9.09563724052004localhost>...

    > What actually happens when you try to visit a secure site with Safari?
    > Saying it "can't open" covers a lot of ground as far as problems go.
    > The debug menu isn't supposed to list https as an option.[/ref]

    A pop-up shows up that says, for example:
    Safari can't open the page
    "https://www.google.com/accounts/Login?continue=http%3…owup=http%3A%2F%2Fgroups.goo gle.com%2F&service=groups"
    because it could not connect to the server "www.google.com".

    My Network preferences settings for https are:

    Secure Web Proxy server 130.17.1.2: 80
    It's the same proxy for all other options (http, ftp, etc)
    tony Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast