Professional Web Applications Themes

Safari question: Toolbar folder - Mac Applications & Software

Safari seems to use it's own, hard-coded folder for the toolbar (Bookmarks Bar), like Internet Explorer (Toolbar Favorites). Other browsers offer the ability to define a folder in the bookmarks file as the toolbar (Netscape 7 and iCab). Any way round this hard-code restriction? -- DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee......

  1. #1

    Default Safari question: Toolbar folder

    Safari seems to use it's own, hard-coded folder for the toolbar
    (Bookmarks Bar), like Internet Explorer (Toolbar Favorites). Other
    browsers offer the ability to define a folder in the bookmarks file as
    the toolbar (Netscape 7 and iCab).

    Any way round this hard-code restriction?

    Michael Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Safari question: Toolbar folder

    In article <tdl.com>,
    "Michael Vilain <net>" wrote:

    Not sure what you mean by "hard coded."
    The Bookmarks Bar items are easily edited and changed.
    While you can't just designate a specific existing Collections folder as
    _the_ Bookmarks bar items folder, you can always drag selected items
    into the toolbar from anywhere, or, go to bookmarks editor, select the
    Bookmarks Bar folder and add, delete move around to your heart's content,
    just like any other bookmark Collection.
    --
    Chuck Reti
    Detroit MI

  3. #3

    In article <com>,
    Chuck Reti <chuckr*No*SPAMmac.com.invalid> wrote:

    > Not sure what you mean by "hard coded."
    > The Bookmarks Bar items are easily edited and changed.
    > While you can't just designate a specific existing Collections folder as
    > _the_ Bookmarks bar items folder, you can always drag selected items
    > into the toolbar from anywhere, or, go to bookmarks editor, select the
    > Bookmarks Bar folder and add, delete move around to your heart's content,
    > just like any other bookmark Collection.[/ref]

    Actually, I use URL Manager Pro 3.0 to manage all my bookmarks. It can
    output to all the browsers with the exception of Opera (but I can accept
    that). I don't want to maintain a duplicate folder called "Bookmarks
    Bar" in URL Manager Pro just for Safari. I want a single folder, like
    "Toolbar Favorites" (which I can't change in IE) and the ability to say
    "browser, use this folder for the toolbar". It that way, I can't change
    _which_ folder is the toolbar and it's "hardcoded". I can, of course,
    populate it with my bookmarks, but then I have to maintain multiple
    toolbar folders.

    I guess this is a RFE to Apple...

    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    In article <tdl.com>,
    "Michael Vilain <net>" wrote:

    Erm ... no. You can put whatever you like in there. Choose the
    top item from the 'Bookmarks' menu.

    Simon Guest

  5. #5

    In article <0.1.3>,
    demon.co.uklocalhost (Simon Slavin) wrote:

    > Erm ... no. You can put whatever you like in there. Choose the
    > top item from the 'Bookmarks' menu.[/ref]

    Again, ehh? Please explain more fully.

    I want to use a folder _other_ than the hard-coded Bookmarks Bar, which
    is the first folder in the List Bookmarks display. I _can_ move entries
    into that folder, but as I explained, I want to keep the toolbar in a
    folder _I_ specify and tell Safari to use that folder to for the
    toolbar. Apparently, Safari doesn't support that.

    Michael Guest

  6. #6

    In article <tdl.com>,
    "Michael Vilain <net>" wrote:

    No. Your problem is with URL Manager Pro. Safari does what you
    ask for, and it does it perfectly. Your problem is not with
    Safari.

    Simon Guest

  7. #7

    In article <tdl.com>,
    "Michael Vilain <net>" wrote:

    Safari doesn't keep its entries for the Bookmarks bar in a
    folder. It doesn't have to. When you write a web browser
    you can use whatever method you like to store bookmarks.

    Simon Guest