Professional Web Applications Themes

Safari quiting - Mac Applications & Software

A few of weeks ago I queried here about Safari quitting in certain URLs. I was directed to an article which noted that some URLs caused this and they should be noted to Apple. I did so. But increasingly in the past weeks Safari is quitting more and more. Is this a growing problem or I am just increasingly unlucky? -M.P....

  1. #1

    Default Safari quiting

    A few of weeks ago I queried here about Safari quitting in certain URLs.
    I was directed to an article which noted that some URLs caused this and
    they should be noted to Apple. I did so.
    But increasingly in the past weeks Safari is quitting more and more. Is
    this a growing problem or I am just increasingly unlucky?

    -M.P.
    G. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Safari quiting

    G. Michael Paine <net> wrote:

    Must be you. Safari rarely crashes on either of my three Macs.
    Which URLs are you experiencing this problem with?

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  3. #3

    In article <comcast.giganews.com>,
    "G. Michael Paine" <net> wrote:

    I read an Apple Knowledge Lists:

    An unusable QuickTime preference can cause Safari to quit when you click
    on a media link. To check for that issue, follow these steps:
    1. If Safari is open, quit it (Command-Q).
    2. Click the Finder icon in the Dock.
    3. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
    4. Type: ~/Library/Preferences/
    5. Click Go.
    6. Locate this file: com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist
    7. Drag the file to the desktop.
    8. Reopen Safari.

    If behavior is back to normal, move the
    "com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist" to the Trash. It will be
    recreated as needed by Mac OS X.
    Article ID:
    Created:
    Modified:
    107641
    8/7/03
    8/7/03
    TOPIC

    Mac OS X does not require the "Times RO" font, but certain applications
    may install it. Installation of this font can cause Safari not to load
    some web pages, or to load them partially.
    DISCUSSION

    Symptom

    Some web pages load partially, or don't load at all.

    Products Affected
    Safari 1.0 or later
    Mac OS X 10.2.6 or later

    Solution
    1. If Safari is open, quit it.
    2. Check these two folders for for the Times RO font:

    /Library/Fonts/
    ~/Library/Fonts/

    3. If you find Times RO, remove it from either or both folders.
    4. Open Safari.

    This doent will be updated when more information is available.
    Irene Guest

  4. #4

    In article <comcast.giganews.com>,
    "G. Michael Paine" <net> wrote:

    I noticed this quite a bit lately myself. My solution - I switched to
    Mozilla - gotta say, in just a week of using it I find it much better
    than safari - no crashes, better configurability, web sites that never
    seemed to render correct in safari, are fine in Mozilla.

    I know this is more a workaround, than a solution, but glad I decided to
    try it.

    mark-s.
    Mark-S. Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 15:20:16 -0400, edu wrote
    (in message <bjl95g$605$temple.edu>):

    > Must be you. Safari rarely crashes on either of my three Macs.
    > Which URLs are you experiencing this problem with?[/ref]

    Actually NO, Safari 1.0 is a little crashy.

    On one of my website's management pages, I use one form quite often to
    update stuff in the database. I fill the form about 20+ times per day
    and the result page is a very simple html page, that is valid html with
    nothing fancy, just a the header and two lines in the body.

    Some days, after submitting the form, before getting the results page
    back safari quits. Some days it happens 20 times in a row (which is
    quite frustrating to say the least) and some days it never happens, and
    some days it happens once or twice. It's the same page. It's the same
    action, why would safari crashes sometimes and some other times it
    doesn't? That is usually a sign of bugs in the program itself.

    I tried changing the encoding of the results page, the format, the
    headers sent from the server, anything I could change, I changed, and
    still some days Safari would quit quite often when seeing that page.

    I would submit a bug if I can reproduce something reliably, but I can't.
    So how do you explain that?

    I'm anxiously waiting for an update to safari. They've done quite a bit
    on the engine and the whole program in general since its initial 1.0
    release, but not even a 1.01 version yet.

    --
    J Brady

    Jonathan Guest

  6. #6

    On 2003-09-09 16:38:18 -0500, Irene Friedman said:
     [/ref]

    This worked for me. I went from 5-10 crashes a day to none. Safari 1.0 has been working just fine every since. I think it's crashed once or twice in about three weeks of constant all-day use.

    Steven Guest