Professional Web Applications Themes

Safari (wrongly?) remembers old default home page. Why? - Mac Applications & Software

I've a strange problem with Safari (I'm using 1.0, but same thing happened with earlier beta versions.) I'm using OSX 10.2.6. I did NOT want the default home page of "apple netscape" so I changed the preference to point to a locally stored custom HTML page (with my favorite links.) Now, any time I asked for a new window, I'd get MY new home page instead of the Apple home page. I could even quit the application and start up again and my home page would appear. BUT...after I shut down for the night, and then boot up and log ...

  1. #1

    Default Safari (wrongly?) remembers old default home page. Why?

    I've a strange problem with Safari (I'm using 1.0, but same thing
    happened with earlier beta versions.) I'm using OSX 10.2.6. I did NOT
    want the default home page of "apple netscape" so I changed the
    preference to point to a locally stored custom HTML page (with my
    favorite links.) Now, any time I asked for a new window, I'd get MY new
    home page instead of the Apple home page. I could even quit the
    application and start up again and my home page would appear.

    BUT...after I shut down for the night, and then boot up and log in the
    next day, the "apple netscape" page is back. My setting of the new home
    page has been completely forgotten. (If it matters, the web pane of the
    Internet Preferences panel still points to my new home page.)

    It seems like Apple insists on its home page being my home page at the
    start of each day. Anyone know why this is happening?
    Leo Guest

  2. #2

    In article <250620030907456909%abedabhydcba2465.com>,
    Leo <abedabhydcba2465.com> wrote:
    > I've a strange problem with Safari (I'm using 1.0, but same thing
    > happened with earlier beta versions.) I'm using OSX 10.2.6. I did NOT
    > want the default home page of "apple netscape" so I changed the
    > preference to point to a locally stored custom HTML page (with my
    > favorite links.) Now, any time I asked for a new window, I'd get MY new
    > home page instead of the Apple home page. I could even quit the
    > application and start up again and my home page would appear.
    >
    > BUT...after I shut down for the night, and then boot up and log in the
    > next day, the "apple netscape" page is back. My setting of the new home
    > page has been completely forgotten. (If it matters, the web pane of the
    > Internet Preferences panel still points to my new home page.)
    >
    > It seems like Apple insists on its home page being my home page at the
    > start of each day. Anyone know why this is happening?
    There appears o be some problem writing your preferences back to disk.
    Settings are remembered throughout the day because they are (probably)
    cached in RAM but the writes back to disk never completes for some
    reason. I would recommend a pass with DiskWarrior and the "Repair
    Permissions" option of Disk utility.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Stiller Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Tom...

    Thanks. I actually also thought it might be a permissions problem. I
    did NOT use DiskWarrior, but I did do a Repair Permissions, and still
    got the same problem. Maybe I need an industrial strength repair of
    permissions???

    Tnx!

    In article
    <tomstiller-72E0F7.09321125062003news.comcast.giganews.com>, Tom

  4. #4

    In article <250620031440143877%abedabhydcba2465.com>,
    Leo <abedabhydcba2465.com> wrote:
    > Thanks. I actually also thought it might be a permissions problem. I
    > did NOT use DiskWarrior, but I did do a Repair Permissions, and still
    > got the same problem. Maybe I need an industrial strength repair of
    > permissions???
    Mmm. If I were you, I'd try to find which file Apple stored that
    information in. Make a backup somewhere and delete it.
    Steven Fisher Guest

  5. #5

    In article
    <tomstiller-67D06B.15101525062003news.comcast.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <tomstillercomcast.net> wrote:
    > In article <250620031440143877%abedabhydcba2465.com>,
    > Leo <abedabhydcba2465.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Tom...
    > >
    > > Thanks. I actually also thought it might be a permissions problem. I
    > > did NOT use DiskWarrior, but I did do a Repair Permissions, and still
    > > got the same problem. Maybe I need an industrial strength repair of
    > > permissions???
    > >

    > The Repair Permissions function only looks at files specified in .bom
    > (bill of materials) files, such as are found in /Library/Receipts. I
    > grep'ed around in my home directory trying to find out which file might
    > hold the homepage specification but I had no luck. Maybe it's not
    > stored in clear text or maybe I just don't know where to look.
    >
    > Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Check your default browser in System Preferences and make sure it shows
    the correct version for Safari.

    Ruby.
    RubyTuesday Guest

  6. #6

    In article <250620030907456909%abedabhydcba2465.com>, Leo
    <abedabhydcba2465.com> wrote:
    > I've a strange problem with Safari (I'm using 1.0, but same thing
    > happened with earlier beta versions.) I'm using OSX 10.2.6. I did NOT
    >>
    > BUT...after I shut down for the night, and then boot up and log in the
    > next day, the "apple netscape" page is back. My setting of the new home
    > page has been completely forgotten. (If it matters, the web pane of the
    > Internet Preferences panel still points to my new home page.)
    >
    > It seems like Apple insists on its home page being my home page at the
    > start of each day. Anyone know why this is happening?
    I had similar problem with Safari 1.0.

    Just tried this:

    Used tail to delete caches (all three, system, user and internet).
    Trashed com.apple.Safari.plist
    Opened System Preferences/internet/web/ and set this to my preferred
    URL for a home page.
    Launched Safari and under preferences set my home page to the same
    preferred home page URL.

    This has worked for past two days.

    Like another poster, I think our changes to the home page settings are
    not being actually saved to disk. Perhaps they are being held ONLY in a
    cache somewhere.

    Good Luck

    Morenuf

    --
    [email]Morenufnobodyhome.com.inva[/email]lid
    Morenuf Guest

  7. #7

    In article <250620030907456909%abedabhydcba2465.com>, Leo wrote:
    > I've a strange problem with Safari (I'm using 1.0, but same thing
    > happened with earlier beta versions.) I'm using OSX 10.2.6. I did NOT
    > want the default home page of "apple netscape" so I changed the
    > preference to point to a locally stored custom HTML page (with my
    > favorite links.) Now, any time I asked for a new window, I'd get MY new
    > home page instead of the Apple home page. I could even quit the
    > application and start up again and my home page would appear.
    >
    > BUT...after I shut down for the night, and then boot up and log in the
    > next day, the "apple netscape" page is back. My setting of the new home
    > page has been completely forgotten. (If it matters, the web pane of the
    > Internet Preferences panel still points to my new home page.)
    >
    > It seems like Apple insists on its home page being my home page at the
    > start of each day. Anyone know why this is happening?
    Hmmm... I find this interesting as I just noticed the same thing happens
    on my new iMac with Safari 1.0. Keeps loosing the homepage that I set up
    and reverting back to the Apple page.

    Almost like M$ taking over my machine... Shutter...

    --
    -=[cwa]=-
    e-Mail: chris at cwaiken dot net

  8. #8

    Christopher W Aiken <cwaikennospam.net> wrote:
    > In article <250620030907456909%abedabhydcba2465.com>, Leo wrote:
    > > I've a strange problem with Safari (I'm using 1.0, but same thing
    > > happened with earlier beta versions.) I'm using OSX 10.2.6. I did NOT
    > > want the default home page of "apple netscape" so I changed the
    > > preference to point to a locally stored custom HTML page (with my
    > > favorite links.) Now, any time I asked for a new window, I'd get MY new
    > > home page instead of the Apple home page. I could even quit the
    > > application and start up again and my home page would appear.
    > >
    > > BUT...after I shut down for the night, and then boot up and log in the
    > > next day, the "apple netscape" page is back. My setting of the new home
    > > page has been completely forgotten. (If it matters, the web pane of the
    > > Internet Preferences panel still points to my new home page.)
    > >
    > > It seems like Apple insists on its home page being my home page at the
    > > start of each day. Anyone know why this is happening?
    >
    > Hmmm... I find this interesting as I just noticed the same thing happens
    > on my new iMac with Safari 1.0. Keeps loosing the homepage that I set up
    > and reverting back to the Apple page.
    I had the same problem - until yesterday. I had tried setting
    spamcop.net as my start page now and then for a couple of months,
    and Safari would remember it as long as I didn't log out.

    Yesterday We had a power failiure at home. Next time I logged in and
    started Safari it went to spamcop instead of livepage.apple.com.

    So why not try to pull the plug ? :-)
    Anders Eklöf Guest

  9. #9

    Well, today, for the first time, the problem seems to be fixed...as I
    came up with my NEW home page instead of Apple's choice. Yippee. Hope
    it stays that way. Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure which "fix" I tried
    really did the trick. But, in order to make sure your new home page
    choice comes up instead of the "live.apple.com" home page, I did the
    following...

    clear the safari cache, delete the com.apple.Safari.plist file (from
    your users preferences folder, then make sure the new desired home page
    is inserted into the Safari's preferences and into the Internet System
    Preferences Panel (web pane). This is probably more than you actually
    have to do, but after doing all of that, it worked for me!

    Good Luck
    Leo Guest

  10. #10

    In article <1fx6m4m.1y652okythrswN%andekl_nosaaf_spam.se>, Anders Eklöf wrote:
    > Christopher W Aiken <cwaikennospam.net> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <250620030907456909%abedabhydcba2465.com>, Leo wrote:
    >> > I've a strange problem with Safari (I'm using 1.0, but same thing
    >> > happened with earlier beta versions.) I'm using OSX 10.2.6. I did NOT
    >> > want the default home page of "apple netscape" so I changed the
    >> > preference to point to a locally stored custom HTML page (with my
    >> > favorite links.) Now, any time I asked for a new window, I'd get MY new
    >> > home page instead of the Apple home page. I could even quit the
    >> > application and start up again and my home page would appear.
    >> >
    >> > BUT...after I shut down for the night, and then boot up and log in the
    >> > next day, the "apple netscape" page is back. My setting of the new home
    >> > page has been completely forgotten. (If it matters, the web pane of the
    >> > Internet Preferences panel still points to my new home page.)
    >> >
    >> > It seems like Apple insists on its home page being my home page at the
    >> > start of each day. Anyone know why this is happening?
    >>
    >> Hmmm... I find this interesting as I just noticed the same thing happens
    >> on my new iMac with Safari 1.0. Keeps loosing the homepage that I set up
    >> and reverting back to the Apple page.
    >
    > I had the same problem - until yesterday. I had tried setting
    > spamcop.net as my start page now and then for a couple of months,
    > and Safari would remember it as long as I didn't log out.
    >
    > Yesterday We had a power failiure at home. Next time I logged in and
    > started Safari it went to spamcop instead of livepage.apple.com.
    >
    > So why not try to pull the plug ? :-)
    I ended up searching my HD for all references to files containing *safari*
    and deleteing everything and anything I could find. I downloaded a "fresh"
    copy of Safari. Installed. No more problems. My "homepage" now sticks.