Professional Web Applications Themes

Safe to Remove Ripped Tracks From ITunes Library? - Mac Applications & Software

If I delete tracks (after I put them in playlists) from the ITunes library, would I be able to delete them from the hard drive later (by doing the deletion from the playlists)? Any desirable/undesirable consequences to watch out for? Thanks for any information you can provide....

  1. #1

    Default Safe to Remove Ripped Tracks From ITunes Library?

    If I delete tracks (after I put them in playlists) from the ITunes library,
    would I be able to delete them from the hard drive later (by doing the
    deletion from the playlists)? Any desirable/undesirable consequences to watch
    out for?

    Nelson Guest

  2. #2

    If I delete tracks (after I put them in playlists) from the ITunes library,
    would I be able to delete them from the hard drive later (by doing the
    deletion from the playlists)? Any desirable/undesirable consequences to
    watch out for?

    If I have understood your question correctly,:-if
    you delete the track from your libery and your hard disc the playlist will
    not be able to find it and it's gone forever.
    hope this helps
    micki

    micki Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bmh7ea$2mo$Stanford.EDU>,
    Stanford.EDU (Nelson Lu) wrote:

    You real don't have any clue, do you? This questions shows that you know
    NOTHING about how iTunes stores tracks. Didn't Stanford use to be a
    University?

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bmh7ea$2mo$Stanford.EDU>, Nelson Lu
    <Stanford.EDU> wrote:

    The playlists just contain aliases to the actual files in the Library.
    If you delete from the Library, they're gone! You can delete from a
    playlist and the file will still be in the Library. This way, you can
    have the same song in multiple playlists with only one copy on disk.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bmh7ea$2mo$Stanford.EDU>,
    Stanford.EDU (Nelson Lu) wrote:

    If you delete songs from the iTunes Library, they'll disappear from your
    playlists too.

    A playlist doesn't actually contain copies of the songs. It's just like
    a radio DJ's playlist -- a list of songs to be played. The DJ (iTunes)
    still has to go to his music library and grab the CDs (files) containing
    those songs.

    If you delete a song from your iTunes Library, but tell iTunes not to
    delete the file, iTunes will forget everything about it; it won't even
    know the file is there. To do anything with that file (delete, move,
    copy, etc.), you'll have to find the file yourself.
    Wayne Guest

  6. #6

    In article
    <wp.shawcable.net>,
    "Wayne C. Morris" <is.invalid> wrote:

    :> In article <bmh7ea$2mo$Stanford.EDU>,
    :> Stanford.EDU (Nelson Lu) wrote:
    :>
[...]

    Your reply implies that deleting a file from the main Library would
    delete the actual mp3 (or other format) file from the system *unless*
    you tell it not to do so. To the best of my knowledge, there's no way
    that iTunes itself can delete the physical file.

    Seems to me that the easiest (best?) way to delete the physical file is
    to select the entry in the Library, have iTunes show the song file,
    delete it in the Finder, then return to iTunes and delete the Library
    entry -- which, as you and others have pointed out, removes it from any
    playlists where it appeared.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  7. #7

    Steve W. Jackson <net> wrote:

    Steve,

    I'm fairly certain that it does. I do it all th time since I don't want to
    keep a copy of all my MP3's on my computer, just on my iPod. So I rip a
    bunch from CDs into the iTunes library, then I copy them from iTunes to
    the iPod, then I delete them from iTunes by hitting the Delete key with the
    albums selected. iTunes prompts twice, first with "are you sure you want
    to delete?" and then "do you want to delete the files?"

    The files are most definitely gone, so I would say that iTunes can delete
    the files.

    Kevin Guest

  8. #8

    In article <supernews.com>,
    "Steve W. Jackson" <net> wrote:

    That's exactly what I meant.

    If you tell iTunes to delete a song from the Library, it will ask:
    "Some of the selected files are located in your iTunes Music folder.
    Would you like to move these files to the Trash?"

    (I suppose you could argue that the file isn't really deleted until you
    empty the trash, but let's not quibble about minor details, okay?)

    But it only does that when the song file was in your iTunes Music
    folder. That's where iTunes puts tracks that it rips from CDs; audio
    files that you import into iTunes from other sources will be copied
    there if you have set the option to "Copy files to iTunes Music folder
    when adding to library."
    Wayne Guest

  9. #9

    In article
    <wp.shawcable.net>,
    "Wayne C. Morris" <is.invalid> wrote:

    :> In article <supernews.com>,
    :> "Steve W. Jackson" <net> wrote:
    :>
[...]

    Cool. This clarifies the issue. The reason that I was unaware of any
    capability of iTunes to delete songs is that I have never kept them in
    my iTunes Music folder -- except my purchased songs, of course, which I
    won't delete since I paid for them. :-)

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson