Professional Web Applications Themes

Sam's Club, Costco, etc. 1 hour digital photo printing? - Photography

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:06:57 GMT, "Rolando" <net> wrote:   No--but they do give 20 minute service <g>. In the past I always printed at home, but after two trips I had about 130 photos I wanted to print. I took the to Sam's, expecting that with this number they would need extra time. After I got them loaded into their system (which actually did add more time), they were able to print in about 20 minutes. Form talking to the people, it obviously is a matter of how busy they were. They did have a couple other jobs ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Sam's Club, Costco, etc. 1 hour digital photo printing?

    wrote:

    No--but they do give 20 minute service <g>.

    In the past I always printed at home, but after two trips I had about
    130 photos I wanted to print. I took the to Sam's, expecting that with
    this number they would need extra time. After I got them loaded into
    their system (which actually did add more time), they were able to
    print in about 20 minutes. Form talking to the people, it obviously is
    a matter of how busy they were. They did have a couple other jobs to
    do, but not very much. I assume they beat the 1 hour photo places
    since they only have to print, not also develop the film.

    They charged $0.19 for 4x6 and $0.69 for 5x7, which is cheaper than it
    costs me between paper and ink on my S9000.
    Ron Guest

  2. #2

    "Rolando" <net> wrote in message news:<lewLa.155$news.prodigy.com>...

    I spoke to a woman at Ritz Camera yesterday and asked if I could see
    some sample digital prints. They looked really superb, she said that
    their system just sends the info back to the *actual* printer used for
    their film 4x6" prints. As with anything, it's probably only available
    in "select" stores, but worth a shot if you're looking for real
    quality. I think she said they were about $0.39 each.

    Also, if you don't need your prints to be one-hour, I'd recommend the
    major online photo finishing services instead. I usually get better
    results (and prices) using their photo upload and print services than
    I do with the local camera shops. I posted a bunch of reviews of these
    services designed just for this newsgroup to
    http://shutterline.com/reviews1.html and I regularly update it with
    comments from users on new online photo print services.

    I hope that helps,

    David, Co-Founder
    http://www.shutterline.com
    David Guest

  3. #3

    >From: com (David Seaman)
    >with
    >
    >I spoke to a woman at Ritz Camera yesterday and asked if I could see
    >some sample digital prints. They looked really superb, she said that
    >their system just sends the info back to the *actual* printer used for
    >their film 4x6" prints. As with anything, it's probably only available
    >in "select" stores, but worth a shot if you're looking for real
    >quality. I think she said they were about $0.39 each.
    >
    >Also, if you don't need your prints to be one-hour, I'd recommend the
    >major online photo finishing services instead. I usually get better
    >results (and prices) using their photo upload and print services than
    >I do with the local camera shops. I posted a bunch of reviews of these
    >services designed just for this newsgroup to
    >http://shutterline.com/reviews1.html and I regularly update it with
    >comments from users on new online photo print services.
    >
    >I hope that helps,
    >
    >David, Co-Founder
    >http://www.shutterline.com[/ref]

    At twice the price of the 20 cent prints at Sam’s, I think I will pass on
    that, thank you very much. I got about 160 prints done at Sam’s and they came
    out great. Would, however, preferred glossy paper to the matte paper they use.
    FredBillie Guest

  4. #4

    com (David Seaman) writes:

    > I spoke to a woman at Ritz Camera yesterday and asked if I could see
    > some sample digital prints. They looked really superb, she said that
    > their system just sends the info back to the *actual* printer used for
    > their film 4x6" prints. As with anything, it's probably only available
    > in "select" stores, but worth a shot if you're looking for real
    > quality. I think she said they were about $0.39 each.[/ref]

    Most Ritz stores use the Fuji Frontier minilab for printing both film and
    digital images. For that matter, so do many of the other places like Walmart,
    Target, Costco, etc. (note, I have run into some Walmarts that hadn't upgraded
    to the Fuji minilab when I went there). As I understand they basically use a
    scanner to convert the negatives into digital images. A lot of the quality
    issue comes down to how well maintained the local store keeps the machine, and
    what type of paper they use. The last time I was in Ritz, the price was
    $0.49/picture.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: org