Professional Web Applications Themes

Samba & SCO's 'custom' - SCO

"Scott" <demon.c.u.o.t.s.a> wrote in message news:com... [/ref] Samba in [/ref] SkunkWorks CD?  It's called Scamba and it was created in order to help users comply with the law and SCO's IP rights. First you must illegally obtain a Samba source distribution and unpack it. At this point, depending upon current law, the user may wish to check with the RIAA and MPAA for any required patches for DRM enforcement. You then download the Proprietary Extraction and Reporting Language script from SCO (after signing an NDA) and run it against the Samba source tree you just stole. The script strips all the GPL ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Samba & SCO's 'custom'

    "Scott" <demon.c.u.o.t.s.a> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    Samba in [/ref]
    SkunkWorks CD?

    It's called Scamba and it was created in order to help users comply with
    the law and SCO's IP rights. First you must illegally obtain a Samba
    source distribution and unpack it. At this point, depending upon
    current law, the user may wish to check with the RIAA and MPAA for any
    required patches for DRM enforcement. You then download the Proprietary
    Extraction and Reporting Language script from SCO (after signing an NDA)
    and run it against the Samba source tree you just stole. The script
    strips all the GPL references from the source and replaces them with the
    correct SCO copytheft notices. It then compiles the source to create
    the needed binaries and then finally deleting the downloaded/patched
    source tree leaving the user in full compliance with Scamba binary-only
    licensing. For a mere US $2995.00 per seat, Scamba pricing reflects the
    true value of the software while helping SCO to recover from the heinous
    damage caused by OSS and the evil people behind it.

    Anthony Guest

  2. #2

    Mikhael <com> wrote:

    That belongs to Tarantella, not SCO.

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:33:26 GMT, "Anthony Fremont"
    <rr.com> wrote:

    [...]

    I believe the latest version of SCO's Scamba does leave the source
    code on the hard drive, but encrypts it with SCO's fiendish "Greek
    symbol" scheme, widely considered almost unbreakable. When last used,
    this powerful encryption mechanism took 2 MIT mathmaticians 12.5 whole
    seconds to decipher some BSD code using powerful Sinclair ZX81
    personal computers!

    Apparently Adobe are considering suing SCO since their "Greek symbol"
    encryption is believed to be a derivative of Adobes own "ROT-13"
    scheme, used by the US military to protect sensitive doents...
    Scott Guest

  4. #4

    Open software developer Samba has accused the SCO Group of 'hypocrisy' for
    attacking the GNU General Purpose Licence (GPL) while incorporating software
    released under the licence into its products.
    At this week's SCO Forum event, SCO chief executive, Darl McBride, attacked
    the GPL saying: "The GPL is not about making software free; it's about
    destroying value."

    But in a statement posted on its website Wednesday, the Samba development
    team retorted: "It is the depths of hypocrisy that at the same event SCO
    also announced the incorporation of the Samba3 release into their latest
    OpenServer product."

    The team members, who published their individual names at the foot of the
    statement, pointed out that Samba is an open source, free software project
    freely available under the GPL.

    "We observe that SCO is both attacking the GPL on the one hand and
    benefiting from it on the other hand. SCO can't have it both ways," the
    statement said.

    Samba allows Linux and Unix servers to interoperate with Microsoft Windows
    clients, providing file and print services.

    The Samba team's statement continued: "Samba is developed and distributed
    under the GPL, in exactly the same manner as the Linux kernel code that SCO
    has been criticising for its lack of care in ownership attribution.

    "Because of this, we believe that Samba must remain true to our principles
    and be freely available to use even in ways we personally disapprove of.

    "Even when used by rank hypocrites like SCO."

    "Anthony Fremont" <rr.com> wrote in message
    news:WuJ3b.945$austin.rr.com... [/ref]
    > Samba in [/ref]
    > SkunkWorks CD?
    >
    > It's called Scamba and it was created in order to help users comply with
    > the law and SCO's IP rights. First you must illegally obtain a Samba
    > source distribution and unpack it. At this point, depending upon
    > current law, the user may wish to check with the RIAA and MPAA for any
    > required patches for DRM enforcement. You then download the Proprietary
    > Extraction and Reporting Language script from SCO (after signing an NDA)
    > and run it against the Samba source tree you just stole. The script
    > strips all the GPL references from the source and replaces them with the
    > correct SCO copytheft notices. It then compiles the source to create
    > the needed binaries and then finally deleting the downloaded/patched
    > source tree leaving the user in full compliance with Scamba binary-only
    > licensing. For a mere US $2995.00 per seat, Scamba pricing reflects the
    > true value of the software while helping SCO to recover from the heinous
    > damage caused by OSS and the evil people behind it.
    >[/ref]

    Perry Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>,
    Scott <demon.c.u.o.t.s.a> wrote:
     [/ref]

    You might find the comments on the www.samba.org frontpage
    date on August 19th intresting.

    The comment about SCO and GPL and commented that McBrides comments
    on the GPL while at the same time annoucing Samba3 is "In the
    light of this it is the depths of hypocrisy". In another place
    they say " ... it is the epitome of hypocrisy"

    And it is signed by all members of the Samba team.

    This whole affair almost sounds like a mid-day TV soap opera.

    "Tune in tomorrow to see if John will goose Sadies cook - er uh
    I mean 'cook Sadies goose'."

    Where is MP/M when we need it? [for those who don't know that
    acronym it was the multi-user version of CP/M].

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest