Professional Web Applications Themes

samba install - SCO

Hello - I have a question about installing samba on SCO 5.0.6. I've installed samba on the SCO box, but it is not working at all. I have had TCP/IP installed and running and am able to access other machines fine. After installing using samba using custom/media image, I don't see any messages on system start up relating to samba or smb. I don't see smbd or nmbd in the "ps -A" output. Not sure if there is something that i have to do in the inet startup to enable samba. The install instructions only point to running custom to ...

  1. #1

    Default samba install

    Hello -

    I have a question about installing samba on SCO 5.0.6.

    I've installed samba on the SCO box, but it is not working at all. I have
    had TCP/IP installed and running and am able to access other machines fine.

    After installing using samba using custom/media image, I don't see any
    messages on system start up relating to samba or smb. I don't see smbd or
    nmbd in the "ps -A" output.

    Not sure if there is something that i have to do in the inet startup to
    enable samba. The install instructions only point to running custom to
    install the software.

    Is there an additional step that I must do to enable samba at startup?

    Thanks,
    bruce

    nospam Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: samba install

    nospam made comment on Mon Jul 28 15:57:32 2003 :
    > Hello -
    >
    > I have a question about installing samba on SCO 5.0.6.
    >
    > I've installed samba on the SCO box, but it is not working at all. I have
    > had TCP/IP installed and running and am able to access other machines fine.
    >
    > After installing using samba using custom/media image, I don't see any
    > messages on system start up relating to samba or smb. I don't see smbd or
    > nmbd in the "ps -A" output.
    >
    > Not sure if there is something that i have to do in the inet startup to
    > enable samba. The install instructions only point to running custom to
    > install the software.
    >
    > Is there an additional step that I must do to enable samba at startup?
    It's been a while since I used the custom installable version but I seem
    to recall mkdev samba was introduced at some point.

    Failing that have a look in /etc/init.d - and try samba enable / samba start.

    Tom

    Tom Melvin [email]tomtkrh.demon.co.uk[/email] [url]http://www.tkrh.demon.co.uk[/url]
    Veterinary Solutions Ltd Sysop Compuserve Unixforum
    Tom Melvin Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the reply Tom. I'm getting a little frustrated as I'm not sure
    what I'm doing!

    I untared samba-2.2.6-VOLS.tar to a directory and ran custom on the media
    image.

    I then ran mkdev samba. I accepted all of the defaults except "using WINS",
    I answer NO.

    After running 'samba enable/start', I still do not see smbd or nmbd in the
    process list 'ps -A'. If I run those manually as in 'smbd -D' and
    'nmbd -D', no errors are reported but they still don't appears in 'ps -A'.

    I'm not sure what question to pose at this point. Any help, ideas, clues,
    or suggestions would be appreciated.

  4. #4

    nospam wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply Tom. I'm getting a little frustrated as I'm not sure
    > what I'm doing!
    >
    > I untared samba-2.2.6-VOLS.tar to a directory and ran custom on the media
    > image.
    >
    > I then ran mkdev samba. I accepted all of the defaults except "using WINS",
    > I answer NO.
    >
    > After running 'samba enable/start', I still do not see smbd or nmbd in the
    > process list 'ps -A'. If I run those manually as in 'smbd -D' and
    > 'nmbd -D', no errors are reported but they still don't appears in 'ps -A'.
    >
    > I'm not sure what question to pose at this point. Any help, ideas, clues,
    > or suggestions would be appreciated.
    I've never had a problem compiling samba to run on OSR5, so I've not used
    the custom binary...

    Any reason for not having gcc complier on that machine?

    On the other hand, using a script to start/stop samba has be
    depreciated for a while, and you dont tell exactly the location of
    the script you are running and what's inside it...

    That version is supposed to include SWAT (Samba Web Admin Tool)
    which is accessed at [url]http://ip_address_of_samba_machine:901[/url]

    If that's not running on port 901, I'd wonder about your install.
    On the other hand, if it pops up a dialog box, supply
    root as user and root's password.

    You should be able to start/stop samba from SWAT then.

    wvaughan Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:45:26 GMT, "nospam"
    <bruceradtkeREMOVEspamREMOVE.earthlink.net> wrote:

    <Please don't top-post. Makes it difficult to follow the thread>
    >"Scott McMillan" <smcmusa.net> wrote in message
    >news:u59divcaitsd3l9grm9ptd74jcou8ee0c34ax.com.. .
    >> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:39:16 GMT, "nospam"
    >> <bruceradtkeREMOVEspamREMOVE.earthlink.net> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Tom Melvin" <tomtkrh.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    >> >have
    >> >fine.

    >any
    >smbd
    >> >or

    >startup?

    >seem

    >> >start.

    >================================================= =======================
    >> >>
    >================================================= =======================
    >> >>

    >> <flipped top-post>
    >> >Thanks for the reply Tom. I'm getting a little frustrated as I'm not
    >sure
    >> >what I'm doing!
    >> >
    >> >I untared samba-2.2.6-VOLS.tar to a directory and ran custom on the media
    >> >image.
    >> >
    >> >I then ran mkdev samba. I accepted all of the defaults except "using
    >WINS",
    >> >I answer NO.
    >> >
    >> >After running 'samba enable/start', I still do not see smbd or nmbd in
    >the
    >> >process list 'ps -A'. If I run those manually as in 'smbd -D' and
    >> >'nmbd -D', no errors are reported but they still don't appears in
    >'ps -A'.
    >> >
    >> >I'm not sure what question to pose at this point. Any help, ideas,
    >clues,
    >> >or suggestions would be appreciated.
    >> >

    >> Do you have VisionFS or AFPS running on this system? Anything else
    >> that might be tying up ports 137-139? Check your log files
    >> (/var/log/samba.d, IIRC) and see what error messages you are getting.
    >>

    >> Scott McMillan
    >>

    >Scott & Tom -
    >Thanks for the replies.
    >
    >There are 2 error messages:
    >
    > ERROR: Badly formed boolean in configuration file: "%%DOMAINLOGONS%%"
    Check this value using SWAT (see below).

    > bind failed on port 193 socket_address = 0.0.0.0
    Are you sure about that port number??

    >Any idea what config file this is in? I've run 'mkdev samba' and there
    >isn't a DOMAINLOGONS parameter prompt anywhere.
    It's in the /etc/samba.d/smb.conf file, which by default is much
    larger than necessary. Use the SWAT tool
    (http://<serverIPaddress>:901 in your favorite browser) to configure
    the options. Here is a good start:

    ------------------- Start smb.conf -------------------------
    # Samba config file created using SWAT
    # from 10.0.0.3 (10.0.0.3)
    # Date: 2002/12/13 19:56:52

    # Global parameters
    [global]
    netbios name = <Whatever name you want to appear>
    server string = Samba Server
    interfaces = net0
    security = SHARE
    log file = /var/log/samba.d/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    dns proxy = No

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    browseable = No

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

    [SCOshare]
    path = /Shared
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    ------------------- End smb.conf -------------------------

    That's my entire smb.conf file. I'm currently using Samba to share
    out the /Shared directory.

    >The machine has a SCO TPI Netbios for TCP/IP installed. The machine is
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Unnecessary for Samba.

    Unless you have something else that relies on TPI Netbios, I would
    remove it.
    >pingable and can ping other hosts, ftp, etc. So, TCP seems to be working
    >properly.
    >
    >My basic installation procedure was to run custom with the VOLS media image
    >& then run 'mkdev samba'. Is there a step(s) that I am missing?
    That's how you install/enable it. THEN you configure the smb.conf
    file to taste, either with your favorite text editor, or with the SWAT
    utility. I would recommend using SWAT, making sure to click on
    "Advanced View" wherever applicable, so you can see all of the options
    available to you.

    >Regards,
    >bruce
    >
    >p.s. It is not running VisionFS and gcc is not installed on this machine.
    Good. If VisionFS/AFPS/another instance of Samba are already running,
    they would have ports 137-139 tied up.

    >The log.smbd has 2 error message repeated many times.

    Scott McMillan

    Scott McMillan Guest

  6. #6

> [...]
    > >properly.
    > >
    > >My basic installation procedure was to run custom with the VOLS media
    image
    > >& then run 'mkdev samba'. Is there a step(s) that I am missing?
    >
    > That's how you install/enable it. THEN you configure the smb.conf
    > file to taste, either with your favorite text editor, or with the SWAT
    > utility. I would recommend using SWAT, making sure to click on
    > "Advanced View" wherever applicable, so you can see all of the options
    > available to you.
    >

    > >Regards,
    > >bruce
    > >
    > >p.s. It is not running VisionFS and gcc is not installed on this
    machine.

    > Good. If VisionFS/AFPS/another instance of Samba are already running,
    > they would have ports 137-139 tied up.
    >

    > >The log.smbd has 2 error message repeated many times.

    Scott -

    Yes, you're right the port number is 139 not 193.

    I deleted the Netbios over TCPIP protocal and that fixed the smbd/nmbd
    startup. Whew...
    They are now in the process list for 'ps -A'. Thanks - one small step.

    The other error message was corrected by editing the smb.conf file. ( I
    couldn't get swat to work )

    Much thanks again for you replies and posts. For whatever reason, I
    thought this required Netbios to work. Just plain old TCPIP is enough.

    One more dumb question - once this is configured properly, my shared SCO
    directories will show up on the Windows machines Network Neighborhood or do
    I have to manually specify this thru the "net use" command.

    Thanks again.

    bruce

    nospam Guest

  7. #7

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:28:30 GMT, "nospam"
    <bruceradtkeREMOVEspamREMOVE.earthlink.net> wrote:

    <big snippage>

    >Scott -
    >
    >Yes, you're right the port number is 139 not 193.
    >
    >I deleted the Netbios over TCPIP protocal and that fixed the smbd/nmbd
    >startup. Whew...
    >They are now in the process list for 'ps -A'. Thanks - one small step.
    >
    >The other error message was corrected by editing the smb.conf file. ( I
    >couldn't get swat to work )
    >
    >Much thanks again for you replies and posts. For whatever reason, I
    >thought this required Netbios to work. Just plain old TCPIP is enough.
    >
    >One more dumb question - once this is configured properly, my shared SCO
    >directories will show up on the Windows machines Network Neighborhood or do
    >I have to manually specify this thru the "net use" command.
    >
    >Thanks again.
    >
    >bruce

    Once you have the appropriate shares correctly defined, they should
    appear in Network Neighborhood/Windoze Exploder just like any other
    shared resource. Be aware that if you are using Windoze 2000/XP, some
    playing around with encrypted passwords will probably be necessary
    (see the below post for changes I found necessary to get Win2k/XP to
    play nicely with VisionFS (should apply to Samba as well?))

    [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=4gipcvgdj7vrbt4uudjn415e3mepupkeqc%404ax.co m[/url]

    Scott McMillan

    Scott McMillan Guest

  8. #8

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 01:08:19 GMT, [email]ve9gji-hate-spam.nbnet.nb.ca[/email]
    (Glenn) wrote:
    >On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:28:30 GMT, "nospam"
    ><bruceradtkeREMOVEspamREMOVE.earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    ><big snip>>>>>>>>
    >
    >>The other error message was corrected by editing the smb.conf file. ( I
    >>couldn't get swat to work )
    >>
    >>Much thanks again for you replies and posts. For whatever reason, I
    >>thought this required Netbios to work. Just plain old TCPIP is enough.
    >>
    >>One more dumb question - once this is configured properly, my shared SCO
    >>directories will show up on the Windows machines Network Neighborhood or do
    >>I have to manually specify this thru the "net use" command.
    >>
    >>Thanks again.
    >>
    >>bruce
    >>

    >try [url]http://sco_ip_adr:598[/url]
    >
    >I know swat is always port 901 but when using a VOL samba install on
    >my 5.06 box it was set to port 598. Took a while to figure out !!
    >Samba is a great tool for setting up shares, etc...lots of help files
    >also.
    >Good Luck
    >
    >Glenn
    I've seen SWAT set to a number of different ports - Check your
    /etc/services file to see which port SWAT is set to on each of your
    SCO boxes.

    Scott McMillan

    Scott McMillan Guest