Professional Web Applications Themes

SAMBA newbie - FreeBSD

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:28:52 +0000 David Larkin <co.uk> spake thus:   Hello, If you take a look at the doentation you will find that you have several options, you can encrypt the passwds, you could set up a guest account with no passwd but restrict access to a particular filesystem to think of but two. HTH LukeK -- <>...

  1. #1

    Default Re: SAMBA newbie

    --
    <>

    Luke Guest

  2. #2

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:19:45 +0000
    David Larkin <co.uk> spake thus:

    > > Thanks, I don't want to use any passwords, enrypted or otherwise
    > >
    > > The guest account sounds interesing.
    > >
    > > I've commented out the following in smb.conf
    > >
    > > # This one is useful for people to share files
    > > [tmp]
    > > comment = Temporary file space
    > > path = /tmp
    > > read only = no
    > > public = yes
    > >

    > > should this allow everyone on both machines to write to the /tmp directory but not execute anything there ?
    > >
    > > I still get challenged for a username/password on the XP directory.
    > > guest/guest and nobody/nobody both fail
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > OK, I got that to work by changing the line
    > security = user

    > security = share
    >

    > Is this safe ?????[/ref]

    I should think that it is not that good an idea to use /tmp unless you
    have it on it's own partition as otherwise you could potentially allow
    someone to upload a large file and fill the root partition at which
    point a few other things might break too.

    HTH

    LukeK

    --
    <>

    Luke Guest

  3. #3

    "Is this safe ?????"

    Obviously security isn't really a priority in your situation. It
    sound like you are really looking for convenience. That said there
    are a large number of options out there for you, samba is one of them
    and can easily be configured with a utility called webmin
    (http://www.webmin.com/). A more secure option could be OpenSSH.

    --Nick

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:19:45 +0000, David Larkin <co.uk> wrote:

    > > Thanks, I don't want to use any passwords, enrypted or otherwise
    > >
    > > The guest account sounds interesing.
    > >
    > > I've commented out the following in smb.conf
    > >
    > > # This one is useful for people to share files
    > > [tmp]
    > > comment = Temporary file space
    > > path = /tmp
    > > read only = no
    > > public = yes
    > >

    > > should this allow everyone on both machines to write to the /tmp directory but not execute anything there ?
    > >
    > > I still get challenged for a username/password on the XP directory.
    > > guest/guest and nobody/nobody both fail
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > OK, I got that to work by changing the line
    > security = user

    > security = share
    >
    > Is this safe ?????

    Nick Guest

  4. #4

    Default SAMBA newbie

    I have a FreeBSD 5.3 machine and a Windoze XP box.

    I am the only user of both.

    I don't want to share files or act as a full time fileserver.

    I simply wish to exchange files ocassionally, e.g. copy FreeBSD backup files to the XP box to burn on CD.

    I used to use anon ftp for this type of thing but found the security a nightmare. I've now installed Samba on the FreeBSD box , but I'm not sure this is a good idea.

    Can I set up a 'sandbox' directory on my FreeBSD machine where both machines can read and write ?

    After installing samba and setting the workgroup in smb.conf, i can now see the FREEBSD box in 'view workgroup computers' but clicking on that I am asked for a username/password , which i'm reluctant to give.

    Any advice ?
    David Guest

  5. #5

    David Larkin wrote:

    Nothing wrong with it that you've described so far. For example,
    I've not yet read whether you trust the wire or not....

    How about using the "SharedDocs" folder on the XP box?

    From FBSD, as root:

    # mount_smbfs -N //XPbox/SharedDocs /mnt

    I have cron do this at every reboot. If I need to put
    anything on my XP Box, it's as simple as using tar,
    cp, whatever.

    Won't help in the "vice versa" case, of course...

    HTH,

    Kevin Kinsey
    Kevin Guest

  6. #6

  7. #7

  8. #8

    David Larkin <co.uk> writes:

    > > Thanks, I don't want to use any passwords, enrypted or otherwise
    > >
    > > The guest account sounds interesing.
    > >
    > > I've commented out the following in smb.conf
    > >
    > > # This one is useful for people to share files
    > > [tmp]
    > > comment = Temporary file space
    > > path = /tmp
    > > read only = no
    > > public = yes
    > >

    > > should this allow everyone on both machines to write to the /tmp directory but not execute anything there ?
    > >
    > > I still get challenged for a username/password on the XP directory.
    > > guest/guest and nobody/nobody both fail
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > OK, I got that to work by changing the line
    > security = user

    > security = share
    >

    > Is this safe ?????[/ref]

    It isn't necessarily *that* bad security-wise, but if anyone else
    might get access to the network over which they are communicating,
    they could make trouble. On my own home network, I have mitigated
    (but not eliminated) this problem by making a very small filesystem
    just for this Samba share. [I built the filesystem from file-backed
    mdmfs(8).] And make *very* sure that your Samba is not reachable from
    other networks.

    If you're really the only user of both systems, I would expect ssh
    (with public key authentication, to avoid the passwords you said you
    didn't want to type) would be easier (because it will work in either
    direction, from either machine). But that depends on your actual
    usage patterns, of course.

    http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/
    Lowell Guest