Professional Web Applications Themes

Sample Database for Creating an Invoice Application - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

There is not a sophisticated free solution available on the web (I've searched tons). The basic model is the Northwind. But, for a real life sophisticated model, there is one book out there that has become to be known the authority on database modeling of all sorts - check out this book: [url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471380237/powertechcanada[/url] This book saves tons of time when developing any database project as you can combine it into your project very easily. It has sample models for Party's (relationships), Contacts, Orders, Shipments, Invoices, Accounting, Employees, Human Resources, etc. The models in this book are complex models that are ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Sample Database for Creating an Invoice Application

    There is not a sophisticated free solution available on the web (I've
    searched tons). The basic model is the Northwind. But, for a real life
    sophisticated model, there is one book out there that has become to be known
    the authority on database modeling of all sorts - check out this book:

    [url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471380237/powertechcanada[/url]

    This book saves tons of time when developing any database project as you can
    combine it into your project very easily.

    It has sample models for Party's (relationships), Contacts, Orders,
    Shipments, Invoices, Accounting, Employees, Human Resources, etc. The models
    in this book are complex models that are implementable by all sorts of
    business - even Fortune 500 businesses. Volume 2 of the same book has models
    for specific industries such as Financial Services, Professional Services,
    E-commerce, Manufacturing, Health Care, Insurance, Travel,
    Telecommunications.

    "Sarah" <sarah02canada.com> wrote in message
    news:ttYma.54608$7L.3553786news0.telusplanet.net. ..
    > Hi,
    >
    > Where can i find sample database to adapt to my own system I'm designing
    > handle invoices, returns, customers, payments, and other accounting
    > functions?
    >
    > Thanks.

    MS Guest

  2. #2

    Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when "MS" <Mithu.april.2003.nntppowertechcanada.com> would write:
    > There is not a sophisticated free solution available on the web (I've
    > searched tons). The basic model is the Northwind. But, for a real life
    > sophisticated model, there is one book out there that has become to be known
    > the authority on database modeling of all sorts - check out this book:
    >
    > [url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471380237/powertechcanada[/url]
    >
    > This book saves tons of time when developing any database project as you can
    > combine it into your project very easily.
    >
    > It has sample models for Party's (relationships), Contacts, Orders,
    > Shipments, Invoices, Accounting, Employees, Human Resources, etc. The models
    > in this book are complex models that are implementable by all sorts of
    > business - even Fortune 500 businesses. Volume 2 of the same book has models
    > for specific industries such as Financial Services, Professional Services,
    > E-commerce, Manufacturing, Health Care, Insurance, Travel,
    > Telecommunications.
    Seems an interesting book, along with the "other Volume."

    What is totally non-evident in looking at either the Wiley web site or
    the author's own site is what the licensing arrangements are for using
    the data models.

    Is there a clear license communicated in the doentation? Or does
    use indicate that some combination of Wiley/Silverston/Universal Data
    Models LLC wind up holding title to a portion of your resulting
    project?

    If paying ~$55 for the book, or ~$400 for downloads leads to
    permission for royalty-free usage, then that may be quite reasonable,
    if it leads to time savings. But if UDM-LLC wind up owning part of
    the resulting work, that may not be nearly so acceptable...
    --
    output = ("cbbrowne" "acm.org")
    [url]http://cbbrowne.com/info/lsf.html[/url]

  3. #3

    > What is totally non-evident in looking at either the Wiley web site or
    > the author's own site is what the licensing arrangements are for using
    > the data models.
    >
    > Is there a clear license communicated in the doentation? Or does
    > use indicate that some combination of Wiley/Silverston/Universal Data
    > Models LLC wind up holding title to a portion of your resulting
    > project?

    The models can be used free of charge - the book goes through the decisions
    in to why you create the models as devised in the book and how to make
    possible modifications if necessary. The CD-ROM for book is licensed
    seperately and only contains the SQL scripts and diagrams for casing tools
    for the models. They are not required in any way to implement the model. It
    is definitely well worth the money ~$55.

    MS Guest

  4. #4

    > Try the Database Answers web site where this page has a Data Model
    > that might help you :-
    > [url]http://www.databaseanswers.com/data_models/e_commerce/index.htm[/url]

    Those are the basic "Northwind" type models - it is not very sophisticated.
    The one by Silverston in his Data Model Resource Book is of a completely
    different caliber - with sophisticated Party, Contacts, HR, Accounting,
    Ordering, Invoicing, Shipping, and Product models. For example, in the data
    model provided by Database Answers - how do you account for customizing
    products - different colors, features, specifications. And, then, how do you
    keep track of what specs go with what product, how much it costs, shipping
    it, invoicing it, etc. Check out that book for sure - you won't be
    disappointed.

    Mithu Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator