Professional Web Applications Themes

SATA install problem - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I'm trying to install Mandrake 9.1 (which I downloaded about a month ago) onto my new SATA drive. I go through all the dialog boxes and I get presented with a box asking me to specify my scsi/raid card. I've tried a few of these as none seem to match the controller on my motherboard. The controller on my MSI KT4 Ultra motherboard is a Promise 20376 sata/raid controller and the hard drive Im using is a Western Digital 120GB 8MB cache job. Has anybody got any ideas what I can do to get this installed? If this version ...

  1. #1

    Default SATA install problem

    Hi,
    I'm trying to install Mandrake 9.1 (which I downloaded about a month
    ago) onto my new SATA drive. I go through all the dialog boxes and I get
    presented with a box asking me to specify my scsi/raid card. I've tried a
    few of these as none seem to match the controller on my motherboard. The
    controller on my MSI KT4 Ultra motherboard is a Promise 20376 sata/raid
    controller and the hard drive Im using is a Western Digital 120GB 8MB cache
    job. Has anybody got any ideas what I can do to get this installed? If
    this version of Mandrake doesnt support SATA can you recommend me a distro
    that has a kernel that does support it?

    Thanks

    Kemal Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SATA install problem

    Kemal Enver wrote:

    http://www.google.com/linux
    Searched the web for sata drive support promise mandrake.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 148. Search took 0.36 seconds.

    www.mandrake.com
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    "My life is a soap opera, but who has the rights?" - MadameX

    mjt Guest

  3. #3

    > http://www.google.com/linux
    > Searched the web for sata drive support promise mandrake.
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 148. Search took 0.36 seconds.
    >
    > www.mandrake.com
    > .[/ref]

    Good one thanks for the help. I never thought to use google. It was much
    easier to sign up to a news server, find a rellevant news group, type and
    then post a detailed explanation of my problem. Most of the 148 results you
    refer to are actually other people who are having problems installing to a
    SATA disk and not getting any useful feedback. If this group isnt for
    people to ask questions about setting up Linux then may I ask what it is
    for? Is it for luring people in so that you can give sarcastic answers when
    they ask a perfectly legitimate question?

    Kemal Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    mjt Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:28:12 +0100, Kemal Enver wrote:

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search works pretty good also.

    Oh no, you may want to read

    Do read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    it even has a section there about your response. :(

    Why should mjt have to retype what was given in the search results.
    I went and looked with
    sata promise group:*linux* from Aug 12, 2003 to today.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 125. Search took 0.66 seconds.

    Looked at the bottom 3 threads a saw that there was a kernel patch.
    Bit Guest

  6. #6

    I did read this first (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html )
    and to be honest it seems rather pathetic - no doubt you have similar faqs
    that moan about html posts and top posting. I think the fact that the word
    'hacker' popped up in that 'doent' ~44 times speaks volumes for you and
    your groups 'l33t' attitude. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on me using
    outlook express. Keep it up - I'm sure you will attract many more people to
    your lovely l33test world of Linux.

    Bye

    Kemal Guest

  7. #7

    Kemal Enver wrote:

    Question "Send questions in formats that are easy to understand".

    Hacker is not the same as cracker, whatever the media thinks. Most people
    here are hackers to some extent, but crackers usually don't get their
    questions answered.

    --
    Timo Voipio | Helsinki, Finland | ICBM at: 60 11.800 N 024 52.760 E
    GeekCode ver 3: GU>CC d s-: a--- C++ UL(+)$>+++$ P+>+++ L++(+) E- W++ N++

    Timo Guest

  8. #8

    Kemal Enver wrote:

    Never mind all this previously posted crap, I would say try RedHat 9.
    While i haven't actually used an SATA drive (i have no need to buy one),
    my Mobo does have an SATA controller which is detected just fine; as far
    as i'm aware, RedHat's hardware detection methods are some of the best
    on any distro. If you don't want to download 3 ISOs to see if it'll
    work, i'd suggest trying out the latest version of Knoppix
    (http://www.knoppix.com or
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-old-en.html). It's a bootable CD
    which has much of RedHat's hardware detection methods. Odds are it'll
    find your hardware and no formatting/installing required. Otherwise,
    I'd start checking the release notes of various distros to see exactly
    what they do and don't support. Admittedly, some of the docs are hard
    to find, but they're there.
    Good luck, and please ignore the "l33test" attitudes; you'll tend to
    find them on linux newsgroups and in the internet in general. Something
    about being anonymous while online seems to bring out the worst in
    people (though not always). Hope this helped and keep on tuxin'.

    -Nick Dimiduk

    Nick Guest

  9. #9

    Hey,
    Thanks for the info. I'll give RedHat 9 a try (got a good net
    connection at work). I've also been told by other people that they dont
    think SATA support will be added until the 2.6 kernel is released...I might
    have to wait untill MDK 9.2.

    Once again Thanks

    Kemal Guest

  10. #10

    Kemal Enver wrote:

    If you have a working system, you could download one of the 2.6.0-test
    releases.
    A friend of my has been running test2 for quite some time with no
    problems. I
    personally tried test6 but could't get a configuration that worked (my
    fault).

    Give it a shot, if you can.

    Nick Guest

  11. #11

    Nick Dimiduk wrote:

    > If you have a working system, you could download one of the 2.6.0-test
    > releases.
    > A friend of my has been running test2 for quite some time with no
    > problems. I
    > personally tried test6 but could't get a configuration that worked (my
    > fault).
    >
    > Give it a shot, if you can.
    >[/ref]
    i managed to install RH9 on Abit NF7-S on a SATA hdd..
    IDE 1 = DVD-ROM
    IDE 2 = CDRW
    SATA 1 = HDD

    maybe becoz the chipset is silicon image chips... u cahn check the rh9
    2.4.20-8 kernel config...

    Yohan Guest