Professional Web Applications Themes

Save A Penguin -- Eat A Whopper - SCO

I'm surprised that I haven't seen someone suggest this before now, esp. since there are many (including some on this group) who would consider hanging, drawing and quartering to be excessively gentle and humane punishment for SCO's executives. This form of punishment is described at <http://www.richard.clark32.btinternet.co.uk/hdq.html> if you don't know what it is. It's gruesome by any standards. One thing I've picked up from at least a couple of sources is that SCO's present claim to fame is that SCO OpenServer runs the cash registers at McDonald's. (Big whoop.) I remember particularly as I read the "Halloween doent" that dissects ...

  1. #1

    Default Save A Penguin -- Eat A Whopper

    I'm surprised that I haven't seen someone suggest this before now, esp.
    since there are many (including some on this group) who would consider
    hanging, drawing and quartering to be excessively gentle and humane
    punishment for SCO's executives. This form of punishment is described at
    <http://www.richard.clark32.btinternet.co.uk/hdq.html> if you don't know
    what it is. It's gruesome by any standards.

    One thing I've picked up from at least a couple of sources is that SCO's
    present claim to fame is that SCO OpenServer runs the cash registers at
    McDonald's. (Big whoop.) I remember particularly as I read the "Halloween
    doent" that dissects SCO's suit against IBM that the topic came up over
    and over again and was hooted because SCO characterized this cash
    register-powering OS as "enterprise software".

    If running McDonald's cash registers is their big (legitimate) cash cow,
    why isn't anyone promoting a boycott of McDonald's? I'm sure there are
    enough Linux geeks who regularly eat there to at least raise a big stink,
    whether or not there are enough (even with friends and family) to put a
    dent in Mickey D's bottom line. I've had thoughts of doing so myself,
    except that it would be hypocritical--I very rarely eat there anyway. I'm
    more of a Krystal/Hardee's/Burger King/Checkers kinda guy myself.

    I can see it now; the McDonald's site <http://www.mcdonalds.com> starts
    getting umpteen messages saying "Your restaurants use software to run
    their cash registers which is provided by a company called The SCO Group
    of Lindon, Utah. The business tactics of The SCO Group are at present
    unethically undermining the use of software that my livelihood and that of
    many others in the computer field depends upon. This software (called
    Linux) may even be in use in your own corporate data centers, which if so
    would mean you are even shooting yourself in the foot by continuing your
    present dealings with The SCO Group. I urge you to practice your
    commitment to social responsibility in the area of business ethics and
    enforce the statement of "Compliance With Applicable Laws and Standards"
    in your "Code of Conduct for Suppliers" (accessible via the shortcut
    <http://tinyurl.com/uxxm>) to influence change in the business practices
    of The SCO Group. In the meantime, as long as The SCO Group continues
    their practices and McDonald's continues to purchase and use their
    software, I will be patronizing (name of other fast food restaurant)
    instead of McDonald's."

    Ya gotta say it simple--the people reading these messages are probably
    customer service types, not very technically informed and wouldn't know
    what Linux was if Tux slapped 'em in the face.

    Someone here commented that the prospect of litigation scares CEOs--the
    prospect of a consumer boycott probably isn't too far behind.

    Anybody game? "Save A Penguin--Eat A Whopper!" Sounds like a decent slogan
    to me!

    P.S. The regular URL referred to by the shortcut
    <http://tinyurl.com/uxxm> is
    <http://www.mcdonalds.com/corporate/social/marketplace/supplier/code/media/Code_of_Conduct_for_Suppliers.pdf>.
    Needless to say, the TinyURL.com version is much more easily mailable.

    I'm Mike--James' Dad, hence "JamesDad". I use this nym in memory of my
    son James Webb (1992-2000) who died fighting leukemia. He was a greater
    man at 8 than some ever become. May his life, battle and story never be
    forgotten! More info at <http://www.themiraclekids.com/mem-james.htm>.
    JamesDad Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Save A Penguin -- Eat A Whopper

    JamesDad wrote:

    I'd happily boycott McDonalds, except I've been boycotting them for
    four and a half years already because of their ANZAC day adds...

    I must admit a certain glee when I found out that they ran SCO...

    --
    Scott Burns
    Mirrabooka Systems

    Tel +61 7 3857 7899
    Fax +61 7 3857 1368

    Scott Guest

  3. #3

    "Scott Burns" <com> wrote in message
    news:22Ysb.399$optus.net.au... [/ref]
    stink, [/ref]
    I'm
    > I'd happily boycott McDonalds, except I've been boycotting them for
    > four and a half years already because of their ANZAC day adds...[/ref]

    Hrm.. Missed those.. (in vic).

    bkx

    Stuart Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 03:20:36 GMT, JamesDad
    <com> wrote:

    Sounds good. How about "You can have your Penguin and eat it too"?
    http://www.goliathcorp.com/penguin.html
    http://www.sugisorensen.com/sugi/penguin/nutri.html

    # santa-cruz.ca.us
    # 831.421.6491 digital_pager com AE6KS
    Jeff Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 06:18:04 GMT, Jeff Liebermann
    <santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >Sounds good. How about "You can have your Penguin and eat it too"?[/ref]

    <snort> Sounds more like something that would belong on the SCO site to
    me. Don't give Darl McBride any ideas. He'll probably have it on the menu
    at the SCO company cafeteria and/or offer penguins with the SCO Linux
    License as an incentive to buy them. At least people buying the license
    would get SOMETHING of value out of the deal. ;-)

    The links *were* interesting. To paraphrase Steven Vaughan-Nichols from
    his latest column on SCO, "No More Nice Mr. IBM" at
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1380517,00.asp, "Every time I think
    I've heard it all about new and unusual foods, somebody comes up with a
    new howler." I thought it was wild enough some years back when I heard of
    people starting to raise ostriches for food (there at least HAS been an
    ostrich farm over in the next county but it's been several years since I
    heard anything about it). But penguins? I had a few thoughts about that;

    1) For Linux fans, market acceptance would have the "Tux" factor to
    overcome, comparable to the "Bambi" factor in acceptance of venison ("Eat
    TUX! That sounds like a SCO plot!").

    2) As I read the second page and the comments about its taste, the classic
    slogan popped into my head: "it tastes just like chicken!"

    3) Noting your last name and guessing that you're at minimum ethnically
    Jewish (at least in my experience, "-mann" is a suffix used in a Jewish
    name), I thought "what if Jeff were to walk up to his rabbi and ask out of
    the blue whether penguins were kosher?" ;-)

    4) Going back to the "Tux" factor, Linus Torvalds would probably be
    pleased to see the description of penguins as "super-aggressive" and that
    the brains of wild penguins are toxic ("you don't want to mess around with
    Tux's brains!").

    5) Reading a little further, I realized that both of them were
    parody/humor sites. Three subsequent Google searches turned up no sites
    referring to human consumption of penguin meat, though there was one that
    incidentally referred to human consumption of the eggs and another
    doenting a humorous Boy Scout skit about eating penguin soup. (Thought
    I'd leave my post as-is and add this at the end so that everyone else can
    do a double-take, too! ;-) ) Thanks for the early morning chuckle, Jeff!

  6. #6

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:43:26 GMT, JamesDad
    <com> wrote:

    At my high skool football games, we would often perform a mock ritual
    sacrifice of the opponents mascot.

    Dark meat or white meat? Open it up and check the source.

    Religion has a big part in the SCO vs everyone debacle. In the past,
    much of SCO management was Jewish. Now, the Church of Latter Day
    Saints has taken over via the Utah connection. Despite my historic
    criticism of SCO, I'm rather biased toward the former.

    I'll ask the local rabbi if Penguin meat is kosher. However, since
    there is a kosher cafe in New York named the "Penguin Cafe", methinks
    it's highly likely to be kosher.
    http://www.kosherdelight.com/NY16.htm

    The theory behind cannibalism is that one inherits the attributes of
    whom one eats. We are what we eat. However, I usually don't eat the
    brains of lower animals, which may explain why mine is still
    functional. Besides, meat has way too much cholesterol. I have eaten
    mammoth meat, which may explain my Neanderthal attitudes.

    Warning: Never take anything I post seriously, including this warning.

    I found several articles by and about polar explorers and shipwreck
    victims who had been forced to eat penguin. The consensus is that
    it's edible, but not very appitizing. Search Google for "penguin
    meat". Amundsen ate seal and penguin meat (which contained enough
    vitamin C to prevent scurvey). Fishermen in the Indian Ocean use
    Penguin meat for crab bait. There is also an aparent decline in the
    penguin population caused by the effects of ocean pollution.

    http://www.discovery2001.co.uk/pelagic/logbooks/expeditions/rep026152.html
    "...tasted penguin meat but it had such a terrible taste that he would
    rather not eat it."

    Instead of boycotting all of SCO, may I humbly suggest you consider
    boycotting attorneys, whom as a group, have never contributed to the
    quality of any product.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    (831)421-6491 pgr (831)336-2558 home

  7. #7

    consider
    to the

    Not true, they do a very good job of providing the butt to a lot
    of jokes. A great many comedians have made a good living making
    fun of lawyers.

    In one of my favorite Dilberts, Dogbert is collecting signatures
    for one of his plans. They ask him why law students only count
    as 2/10's of a person. He said it doesn't drop to 0 until they
    pass the bar. Off the topic, but I was reminded of it and
    thought I would share.

    Justin

    Justin Guest

  8. #8

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:48:49 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
    <santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    First, I'll have to say that I enjoyed Justin's comments about attorneys.
    Good going, Justin!

    As for my boycott idea; even if someone were to take the ball and run with
    it, I don't think the actual economic impact would be enough to hurt
    anybody. But if McDonald's got upset that one of their IT vendors was
    causing them bad press due to unethical business behavior (yes, I know
    that's putting it extremely mildly), they could put a good bit of pressure
    on SCO to straighten up and fly right.

    In such an event, the SCO management would have to either re-evaluate
    their hijinks or else by the nature of their response make it evident that
    their plan all along had been to run the company into the ground--going
    out with a bang, as it were. In such a case, punitive action by McDonald's
    would be the fault of SCO's management--not McDonald's, not of anyone
    taking part in a boycott, nor mine for suggesting the idea.

    Hmmm. I wonder if McDonald's CIO has made contingency plans should SCO go
    down the tubes and there be a lengthy time gap before a new vendor made
    OpenServer available for new restaurants and was able to provide support
    for the same.

    I'm Mike--James' Dad, hence "JamesDad". I use this nym in memory of my
    son James Webb (1992-2000) who died fighting leukemia. He was a greater
    man at 8 than some ever become. May his life, battle and story never be
    forgotten! More info at <http://www.themiraclekids.com/mem-james.htm>.
    *** Remove ARROGANCE Before Replying ***
    JamesDad Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    FyRE Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    Scott Burns <com> wrote:

    > I'd happily boycott McDonalds, except I've been boycotting them for
    >four and a half years already because of their ANZAC day adds...[/ref]

    I doubt McDonalds would notice or care.

    I rarely eat there, but even if I were one of the more rabid here,
    I'm not going to pass up lunch if I'm hungry and the other choice
    is Joe's Greasy Spoon.

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    Tony Guest

  11. #11

    In article <com>,
    Jeff Liebermann <santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
     [/ref]

    But for the tribes that practiced canibalism spongiform
    encephalitis was passsed on to those who ate their dead relatives,
    which was pretty devastating. Now it's normally just thought
    of with 'mad cow diasease'. You are what you eat was quite true
    in those tribes, with devastating results.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  12. #12

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:45:19 GMT, comREMOVE (Bill Vermillion)
    wrote:

    Personally, I like the fun ways of applying "you are what you eat." I
    think it was in the "Reader's Digest" years ago that I first heard this
    one:

    (Husband and wife are sitting in a restaurant, looking at the dessert
    menu.)

    Husband: Now dear, be careful what you choose. You are what you eat, you
    know.

    Wife: Good! Let's eat something rich.

    Along similar lines, I've joked at this time of the year that at
    Thanksgiving we need to be aware that you are what you eat; you're likely
    to be a "turkey" or a "ham". And if you spend too much time nibbling at
    the snack table, you're likely to be nuts. Either that or a "dip". :-)

  13. #13

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:45:19 GMT, comREMOVE (Bill Vermillion)
    wrote:
     [/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    I wasn't referring to ritual consumption of the relatives. I was
    referring to the tendency that such things as success, luck, and good
    looks were tangible objects that could be assumed by eating someone
    that possessed them. The successful hunter was at risk of getting
    killed and eaten by the less successful hunters of the tribe. Same
    with anyone else that was successful at some activity. The logic may
    have been the most detrimental and reactionary effect on human
    progress in human history. By killing and eating the most successful,
    we retarded progress and stifled innovation.

    Penguin Soup for the Soul. Note the cover illustration:

    http://www.political-sciences.com/Penguin_Soup_for_the_Soul_0312193165.html
    Do penguins eat humans?

    Today, we're more civilized. If you're successful, you get taxed to
    death. If you're really successful, you get sued. If you've managed
    to survive litigation and taxes, then you get investigated by the
    Justice Department. Canibalism and eating the successful are still
    quite popular.

    There are some parallels in the SCO vs everyone debacle, but I don't
    wanna start yet another tangential debate over trivia.

  14. #14

    Tony Lawrence wrote:

    >> I'd happily boycott McDonalds, except I've been boycotting them for
    >>four and a half years already because of their ANZAC day adds...
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    >

    >I doubt McDonalds would notice or care.
    >[/ref]
    I don't believe there is any legal way for an "average Joe" to make
    McDonalds notice or care about what they do. If we step into illegal
    there are plenty of ways depending on your level of resolve, but none
    I'd care to try. This doesn't mean I should give in and give money to
    an american company I feel is using dead Australians to sell hamburgers.

    Bringing it back on topic I feel the same with SCO (apart from the
    dead Australians bit). I can escape any ethical bits because (a) we
    were already converting to Linux when this hit and (b) we ran
    SCO/Informix - IBM owns Informix and I'm sure we can all guess what that
    means for support now...

    I don't think of myself as rabid, but then this has never been an
    issue. Think about it: how many McDonalds do not have alternatives
    nearby? The closest I can come is that Sydney airport gives you the
    option of expensive cafes or a ~500m walk + getting through security
    into another terminal + the same back in order to go with Burger King.
    I always went with the cafe. The coffee was better...

    Given your example, however, I'd either eat at Joe's or go hungry.
    I'm a little more lenient with SCO - as I've said in previous posts
    there are a few special cases in which I could see myself giving SCO
    more money.

    --
    Scott Burns
    Mirrabooka Systems

    Tel +61 7 3857 7899
    Fax +61 7 3857 1368

    Scott Guest

  15. #15

    JamesDad wrote:

    I boycotted K-Mart when they dumped Unix for NT. And you know what happened
    to K-Mart a year or two later after the switch?

    That's right, Chap. 11.

    -eric wood

    PS. Hey,.... pssst! K-Mart, did you know Walmart is still running Unix for
    some bizarre reason called "effeciency".

    Eric Guest

  16. #16

    On Thu, Nov 20, 2003, Eric Wood wrote:

    >I boycotted K-Mart when they dumped Unix for NT. And you know what happened
    >to K-Mart a year or two later after the switch?
    >
    >That's right, Chap. 11.
    >

    >-eric wood
    >
    >PS. Hey,.... pssst! K-Mart, did you know Walmart is still running Unix for
    >some bizarre reason called "effeciency".[/ref]

    They're also selling some pretty good Linux boxes with SuSE preinstalled.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on.
    -- William S. Burroughs
    Bill Guest

  17. #17

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:41:28 -0500, "Eric Wood" <com>
    wrote:

    >I boycotted K-Mart when they dumped Unix for NT. And you know what happened
    >to K-Mart a year or two later after the switch?
    >
    >That's right, Chap. 11.[/ref]

    Didn't hurt that at the same time there was a major boycott going on
    against K-Mart because of their ownership of WaldenBooks, which among
    other things sold ography. And it wasn't just your "fiery fundies"
    boycotting--even traditionally "liberal" churches like the United
    Methodists were involved.

  18. #18

    In article <com>,
    Jeff Liebermann <santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    But it was appropriate in that case.

    And with lower life forms - though it is not canibalism - the 'you
    are what you eat' has had some interesting results. I read someone
    in the past that earthworms fed with ground-up other earthworms
    inherited some of the learned actions of their 'dinner'.

    And of course there are the other methods. Those with
    power/money/hired-guns went after the successful to get ahead not
    by being successful but by having a bigger stick.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest