Professional Web Applications Themes

Save as ... in action does not give the file an extension - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I have an action that ends with "Save as ... TIFF". It does save the file, but without the extension. I have to manually add the extension ".tif" to the files. What gives ... ?...

  1. #1

    Default Save as ... in action does not give the file an extension

    I have an action that ends with "Save as ... TIFF". It does save the file, but without the extension. I have to manually add the extension ".tif" to the files.

    What gives ... ?
    Thomas Guest

  2. #2

    Does it put the extension on if you save As manually?
    YrbkMgr Guest

  3. #3

    YrbkMgr,

    yes, sure it does. It's only within the action.

    Greetings
    Thomas
    Thomas Guest

  4. #4

    That is VERY odd. I do batch processes all day long and this one has me quite curious. Perhaps you'd be willing to post the exact steps recorded in your action directly from what it says in the action palette? I've never seen that before.
    YrbkMgr Guest

  5. #5

    The purpose of this action is to insert a marked area of a picture (a screenshot) into a new picture, reduce it to its background, save it as a TIFF and close it.

    Here are the steps (I hope I translate them right - I use a German version):
    - copy
    - new (modal, allows me to enter a name; size is acquired by the copied area as usual)
    - paste (smoothing: no)
    - reduce to background
    - save as (as: TIFF; Byte-Order: IBM-PC; with LZW-compression; In: path)
    - close

    Thanks for your help so far!

    Greetings
    Tom
    Thomas Guest

  6. #6

    Are you saying there is no extension at all, or just that you can't see it?? Windows won't save a file without adding an extension.

    When you look in any folder using Windows Explorer do you see the extensions on your files?? If not then you need to change a setting that will show the extensions.

    Open Windows Explorer. Click Tools/Folder Options/View

    Look for "Hide file extensions for known file types". If the box has a check in it then that is why you are not seeing the extensions. Uncheck the box and you should see the extensions for all your files.
    Jim-Clark Guest

  7. #7

    Well, he says that it puts the extension in when he saves manually. The extensions are omitted ONLY when running the action, so I presume it's not a Windows view extensions issue.

    Thomas,

    That's VERY odd. Your settings look fine. If you use Windows Explorer and right click on a file saved with the action, do the properties report the correct file type? What does the icon look like that is associated with the image? If you look at the image name under a DOS window, does it show an extension?

    Peace,
    Tony
    YrbkMgr Guest

  8. #8

    Jim-Clark: no extension there. Unfortunately Windows is not THAT strict with extensions. You can easily delete any extension, if visible.

    YrbkMgr: Filetype says "File". And, no, DOS window does not show anything. (Windows is very dumb concerning file types, anyway).

    Fortunately I use a program called Flash Renamer (it's superb!) and it DOES recognize the filetype and adds it automatically.
    So it is not that bad for me. I'm just wondering ...

    Greetings
    Tom
    Thomas Guest

  9. #9

    Tom,

    That's an interesting problem.

    Windows is very dumb concerning file types, anyway

    But DOS isn't. So what that tells me is that it is definately not hidden. It's just not being put on. I've never seen that. Sorry I couldn't help more. It's a pickle...
    YrbkMgr Guest

  10. #10

    That is very strange. I've never experienced this using Actions.

    I'm curious, after you complete an action, can you then open that newly saved file with Photoshop without first adding an extension??

    Jim
    Jim-Clark Guest

  11. #11

    Yeah Jim, I agree. That's why I was trying to uncover whether there was an Icon with the file that pointed to the file type - a PSD icon or anything that indicated that Windows knew it was an image file. Didn't get that answer though.
    YrbkMgr Guest