Professional Web Applications Themes

save as limited to indesign only? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I would never even consider using JPGs for print. Agreed. I cannot concieve of a valid reason to use JPEG images. The first thing I do with any JPEG images I recieve is convert them to TIFF and delete teh JPEG....

  1. #21

    Default Re: save as limited to indesign only?

    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    Ah, ok! thanks a lot Bob.
    Leinan_Abanto@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #23

    By the way Bob are there any way to save image in tiff with atleast smaller size, I mean the file size? And still the resolution is in 300dpi with a canvass size of atleast 7"x10"? That's why I'm trying to import an image in jpg format because jpg has smaller file size than tiff.
    Leinan_Abanto@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #24

    You can save tiffs with LZW compression. Most apps can handle this just
    fine, and in some cases it makes tiffs a lot smaller.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #25

    Consider saving the TIFF with LZW compression from Photoshop or your favorite image editor. This is a lossless compression that works very well.

    [edit]doh - beaten to the punch... but I will add that in all cases, it will make the file much smaller.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #26

    As the others have said, LZW, but I never use it anymore. Storage is
    cheap and quality is what matters.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  7. #27

    Storage is cheap and quality is what matters.

    Agreed - consider the cost of CD media these days (usually around 10 cents per disc). You can also acquire hard drives at less than 50 cents per Gig.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #28

    As the others have said, LZW, but I never use it anymore. Storage is cheap
    and quality is what matters.

    Quality?!

    LZW is lossless in quality: When the LZW TIFF is uncompressed by your image editing program or RIP, it contains the same data as the original uncompressed file. There is no issue of lack of quality here.

    Even with storage being cheap, there is no sense in using bloated files.

    Some folks have claimed that LZW cannot be used with some RIPs but I have never seen this happen. If a RIP does not support a 20-year-old compression method, I doubt that it will be handling InDesign's output anyway.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #29

    LZW is lossless in quality

    Thanks for the tip.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #30

    I didn't mean the LZW as far as quality, I meant JPG vs TIFF.

    Sorry for the confusion.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  11. #31

    Question:

    When you save with LZW, does that make the file size of the TIF close to that of a JPG?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #32

    > When you save with LZW, does that make the file size of the TIF close to
    that of a JPG?

    Depends on what's in the file, but usually no. Jpeg can throw away data,
    while making a file any size you want. You get to choose how much gets
    thrown away based on the 'quality' settings.

    LZW is like zipping a tiff. Different algorithm, same effect. For tiff
    photos there may not be a lot of savings, but for a line drawing or other
    b&w image, it can cut the size by a factor of ten or more.

    I have more local HDD space than I'll ever use (160 MB) on my desktop, but
    the server has some limits. LZW makes for faster backups and file transfers.
    I don't think it has any effect on PDF sizes.

  13. #33

    "LZW is like zipping a tiff. Different algorithm, same effect."

    Somewhere in the back of my memory, buried beneath the beer, I recall that
    ZIP uses LZW compression. Not that that matters a jot.

    I do hope you've got more than 160 MB on your desktop John.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #34

    > I do hope you've got more than 160 MB on your desktop John.

    Giga, Mega, Tera, whatever. :-)

    "More than I'll ever need." We'll see. 14 months and counting.

  15. #35

    John thanks i'll try that.
    Leinan_Abanto@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #36

    John I already tried it. Saving with LZW makes my file size down from 34.5mb to 20.8mb. Thanks a lot!
    Leinan_Abanto@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12