Professional Web Applications Themes

Save/Save As To Very Large Network Drives Fails - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Photoshop 7.01 on Win2K Pro SP3 Attempting to Save/Save As _ANY_ file to a mapped network drive (Samba/Linux) fails with the error message: "Could not save as "S:\Untitled.psd" because disk is full". The network drive is 1.7Tb in capacity with 1.4Tb free. We can complete this operation fine with Photoshop 6.0. any suggestions?...

  1. #1

    Default Save/Save As To Very Large Network Drives Fails

    Photoshop 7.01 on Win2K Pro SP3

    Attempting to Save/Save As _ANY_ file to a mapped network drive (Samba/Linux) fails with the error message: "Could not save as "S:\Untitled.psd" because disk is full".

    The network drive is 1.7Tb in capacity with 1.4Tb free.

    We can complete this operation fine with Photoshop 6.0.

    any suggestions?
    Sherwin Klass Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Save/Save As To Very Large Network Drives Fails

    Only fill up the drive until it has less than 1Tb free.

    This is a known problem that Adobe are investigating.....

    LenHewitt Guest

  3. #3

    We first reported this bug (which only exists in 7, versions 5 and 6 worked fine) back in November 2002.

    If a disk (local or network) has more than 1TB of free space then PS 7 will not be able to save to it.

    Nobody at Adobe is willing to give us an update, or ETA on a fix.

    We are ready to dump PS and go for GIMP.

    I cannot believe that Adobe does not take this more seriously. A real simple hot-fix would be: don't check for free space.
    Comment out one line in the code and you have a workaround.
    At least give users the option for this. With more and more people/companies getting larger and larger drives, 1TB of free space will be more and more common.

    A response from Adobe to 'fill up the disk so there's less than 1TB free space' should result in the termination of that employee.
    Do you really believe that we would fill up our 4TB SAN with 3TB of garbage, just so PS can save to it?

    This has now gone on for over 6 months, and still Adobe has no answer/fix. Microsoft has a better response time! :)

    I know we are a small fish in a big pond, but just wait until companies like ILM, Disney etc run into this problem.
    Ronald Knol Guest

  4. #4

    Ron,
    Some time ago, I believe that Chris Cox mentioned that the problem would involve a lot of re-writing of code. The problem will be corrected in Photoshop 8 , if I recall correctly. Not a very satisfying , I know.

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  5. #5

    I cannot believe that Adobe does not take this more seriously.

    I don't know what makes you think that they don't.

    We are ready to dump PS and go for GIMP

    Always an option...

    A response from Adobe to 'fill up the disk so there's less than 1TB free
    space' should result in the termination of that employee.

    Hope you never make a mistake that affects less than 1% of your market. It's a bit harsh of a position because you are angry.

    Relax -
    YrbkMgr Guest

  6. #6

    Ronald - the only "hot fix" would have to come from Microsoft.

    A real fix on the Photoshop side involves a lot of code changes and testing. Yes, I looked into it.

    Since we cannot comment on unannounced software or versions of software - I can't tell you anything more.
    Chris Cox Guest

  7. #7

    We are ready to dump PS and go for GIMP

    <bevis:cornholio>
    Are you threatening me?!!
    </bevis:cornholio>
    dave milbut Guest

  8. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cox View Post
    Ronald - the only "hot fix" would have to come from Microsoft.

    A real fix on the Photoshop side involves a lot of code changes and testing. Yes, I looked into it.

    Since we cannot comment on unannounced software or versions of software - I can't tell you anything more.
    Complete Bull. As he said, comment out the disk check entirely. Let the OS error out on write if the disk is full. Problem solved. That cannot possibly be "a lot of code and testing".

    Hope you never make a mistake that affects less than 1% of your market. It's a bit harsh of a position because you are angry.
    Most certainly more than 1% of the users will be using drives that are greater than 1tb. 2tb drives are very cheap now.
    Unregistered Guest