Professional Web Applications Themes

saving animated gif and flash files for web - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I am working on some animated gifs and flash files which contain both detailed photographs and logos. They need to be reduced to 15-18k but have 4 frames with different photographs and text on each frame. The files are 120x600, 728x90 and 300x250 and the photograph about a third of the total image. I am losing too much quality when saving the file but have been told there is a way to do this. Something about optimizing each layer separately. Do you know if this is true? I have up to 25 layers per file so it seems like a ...

  1. #1

    Default saving animated gif and flash files for web

    I am working on some animated gifs and flash files which contain both detailed photographs and logos. They need to be reduced to 15-18k but have 4 frames with different photographs and text on each frame. The files are 120x600, 728x90 and 300x250 and the photograph about a third of the total image. I am losing too much quality when saving the file but have been told there is a way to do this. Something about optimizing each layer separately. Do you know if this is true? I have up to 25 layers per file so it seems like a long and tedious process. Is there any other way to do this?
    jo_newman@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: saving animated gif and flash files for web

    Sorry, but you cannot compress detailed photographs of those sizes to 18K in gif. You can make animated Flash files of that size (and smaller), but only if they contain vector graphics only. Each photo that you add to a Flash file adds the size of that photo. Even one photo added to a Flash file will put you over the size limit.
    Don_McCahill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    That is what I thought. Someone told me they had done it but so far, no one else has found a way... maybe someone was playing a joke on me!

    Thanks for your response!
    jo_newman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    jo,

    It is entirely possible to get an 18K file using those dimensions. That would of course depend entirely on content (Photos and text).

    Can you post an example or the PSD file you are working with?
    Photo_Help@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I believe FLASH import MPEG or video. Maybe create a 4 frame MPEG from FULL colour images. Compress the MPEG a lot. Or maybe FLASH gives you a compression option on import ?..
    hot_denim@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I just made up a psd file similar to what I am working on. It is just the images for the first frame but at least you will get an idea. You can view it at <http://www.lacuchara.com/example/example.psd>

    thanks for your help
    jo_newman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Can you post an example or the PSD file you are working with?

    I just made up a psd file similar to what I am working on. It is just the images for the first frame but at least you will get an idea. There would be 3 more frames all with different photos (but the same size) and different text. Only the logo would stay the same in all frames. My guess this is out of the question for an animated gif... but it sounds like it may work in flash?

  8. #8

    Jo,

    Using 4 photos that size would definitely put you over if you make it a single animated GIF. If you need it to be under 18K your best bet is to use flash as Don suggested. Even then you would be pushing it. Unfortunately even with relatively high compression the 4 images would take up around 16K of the file by themselves.
    Photo_Help@adobeforums.com Guest