Professional Web Applications Themes

Saving text as a custom shape - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Should be easy, but for the life of me, I can not figure out how to do it. What I am trying to do is create a "signature" with a copyright date. In order to lay out the text the way I want it arranged, I seem to need three text layers. I can not figure out how to merge the text layers and end up with something I can use as a single useable shape. I was able to do it quite easily in PSP, but I am finding myself editing in Photoshop more and more and would prefer ...

  1. #1

    Default Saving text as a custom shape

    Should be easy, but for the life of me, I can not figure out how to do it.
    What I am trying to do is create a "signature" with a copyright date.
    In order to lay out the text the way I want it arranged, I seem to need
    three text layers.

    I can not figure out how to merge the text layers and end up with something
    I can use as a single useable shape. I was able to do it quite easily in
    PSP, but I am finding myself editing in Photoshop more and more and would
    prefer to be able to add a signature to a photo without going over to PSP.
    I've gone through my PS books and haven't figured this out yet.

    I have PS 7.01. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

    Thanks,
    m green

    mwgreen@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Saving text as a custom shape

    mwgreen

    Why not just select the text and then define it as a brush.

    Dave :-)

    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    After typing your three text layers position them then go to Layers>Rasterize All Layers. After that Go into the Layers Palette activate the upper most layers then go to Layers>Merge Down.

    Check it out and see if this is what you are looking for. I am not sure if I understood your question.

    Do a Select All and followed by Edit Copy, then File new and set Background to Transparent. Past the text and save it where you can find it.

    After that you can write an action which will past this text over every picture you want with just one hit of an F Key.
    Norbert_Bissinger@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    First create paths of the three text layers, then copy/paste the three paths into a single path, then convert the path to a custom shape.

    Mathias
    Mathias_Vejerslev@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Multiple Text Layers---»One Custom Shape.

    First of all (and apologies to Mr. Bissinger...), dispel all notions of rasterizing your text. If you do that, you'll only ever be able to properly use the result at the size you created it. Changing the size of the rasterized text will make it fuzzy, because you'll be transforming pixels. You're looking for a way to keep these layers as vector, corrrect? Here's one way:

    Let's go with your example of three text layers. And let's assume they're named "ONE", "TWO" and "THREE."

    Highlight text layer "ONE" in the Layers Palette. Go to "Layer---»Type---»Create Work Path" This creates a vector path of your type in the Paths Palette. This path and its name is temporary until you create another work path. You want to make it a permanent part of your doent. Go to your Paths Palette and double-click on Work Path. This will give you the option to name the path so you don't overwrite it. Click "OK". The default name of "Path 1" is fine for now.

    Back in the Layers Palette, highlight text layer "TWO" and repeat the steps above. Do the same with text layer "THREE."

    In your Paths Palette, you should now see:
    • Path 1
    • Path 2
    • Path 3
    These are the path versions of the text layers. So far, pretty easy, right?

    Now to combine the paths.

    Choose the Direct Selection Tool (Keyboard "A")

    In your Paths Palette, Option/ALT click on "Path 3." This will select the entire path and all the anchor points. Copy the paths for "Path 3" (Command+C).

    Click on "Path 1" to highlight it. Paste the path you just copied (Command+V). "Path 1" now consists of the path from text layer "ONE" and the path from text layer "THREE."

    Option/ALT+Click on "Path 2" to select it. Copy its path.

    Highlight "Path 1" again. Paste "Path 2." "Path 1" now consists of the paths from all 3 text layers.

    Now, you have the vector paths for all three text layers gathered together in "Path 1." You can drag "Path 2" and "Path 3" to the trash if you want.

    Option/ALT+Click on "Path 1" and you'll see that all three text layer paths will be selected.

    Go to "Edit---»Define Custom Shape..." and name it how you wish.

    Your new Custom Shape will now be present in your Custom Shape menu.

    Wanna save it out so you don't lose it?

    Go to "Edit---»Preset Manager..." Choose "Custom Shapes" (Command+7) in the drop-down menu. Your new 3-text-layer-custom-shape will appear at the end of the list. Clcik onnce on it's name (or icon, if your viewing that way). Click on the "Save Set..." button. Choose a name, and save it somewhere you wont lose it. The "Custom Shapes" folder, inside the "Presets" folder, inside the main Photoshop folder is a good place.
    Phosphor@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    More complicated than it should be, but yes, I think that's what I need to
    do.
    I knew rasterizing wasn't going to achieve what I needed. I'm looking for a
    vector object with size and fill color/stroke editable (like any other
    shape).

    Thank you *very* much for the detailed instructions. I'll give that a shot.

    m green

    :

  7. #7

    Believe me, MW, this took much longer to write out and proofread than it does to perform. With any good luck, I didn't leave any important steps out. If I did, just reply back to this thread and I'll get you back on track.

    Work through it one time, and you'll see that it isn't so difficult. And, as a bonus, you may learn some things you didn't know before.

    Happy to be of help...
    Phosphor@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Worked like a charm.
    I got a bit lost with the Mac keyboard shortcuts, but since you had
    explained it so thoroughly, I was able to muddle along until it was done.

    Signature shape is safely stashed away now.
    Thanks again for the assistance and I definitely learned a couple of new
    things. :)

    mwgreen

  9. #9

    "I got a bit lost with the Mac keyboard shortcuts,... Sorry! Forgot where I was writing the tutorial! I usually try to include shortcuts for both platforms...

    Glad you got it sussed, though!
    Phosphor@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    And, as a bonus, you may learn some things you didn't know before.

    Well Phosphor for sure I did. Thank you.
    Could not figure out why text as a shape.
    Norbert_Bissinger@adobeforums.com Guest