Professional Web Applications Themes

saving to an older version of InDesign - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have InDesign version 3 but the printer that i'm about to give a job to only has version 2. I can't seem to find out how to save the file as version 2. It doesn't give me the option anywhere. Please help!...

  1. #1

    Default saving to an older version of InDesign

    Shea_Driver@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: saving to an older version of InDesign

    Do you really want to trust the source of your doent to a printer?

    Who would be responsible for making sure the 2.0 version of your doent were you able to create it (you can't) is identical to your 3.0 version? What about the 3.0 features that don't exist in 2.0?

    Ask your printer what kind of PDF he can take and provide that.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    If you read between the lines of Dave's post you'll see that it's quite impossible to save back.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  4. #4

    Or, you could just read between the parentheses.

  5. #5

    The printer would be responsible for any changes that occured. I've worked with this printer before, so I know they would do what was needed to do the job right.

    Well, that's stupid that you can't save the file as an older version. Seems like every other Adobe software allows you to do so.

    Thanks for the input.
    Shea_Driver@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    > Well, that's stupid that you can't save the file as an older version.

    I agree, but I'll also NEVER send an ID doc to a printer, other than as a
    troubleshooting step.

    If they have ID 2, they can handle a PDF from ID CS. Tell them to show you
    how they want the PDF created, or tell then ID 2 was releaed almost three
    years ago and the new version is all you could buy. ;-)

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    If your printer is willing to take on responsibility for assuring that your doent doesn't change after converting it to 2.0 but they're not willing to fork out $169 to get ID CS, then they're not the kind of printer that I would trust to print their own name.

  8. #8

    Well, that's stupid that you can't save the file as an older version.

    No, it's actually one of the smart things Adobe has done for all of us.

    I've worked with this printer before, so I know they would do what was
    needed to do the job right.

    Try finding another printer if these guys won't or don't know how to print off of a PDF. What's needed to do the job right is a good PDF and printing device!
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Whoops. I need to stop skimming so fast. Forgive me. <g>

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  10. #10

    If they'll do what's necessary then they'll take the PDF. They should be
    happy to accept it.

    If they won't or they are unwilling to spend $169.00 for ID CS, then I'd
    question just have far they're willing to go to make you happy.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest