Professional Web Applications Themes

Saving to PSD format removes EXIF info? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hello all and thank you for your support. I'm very new to photoshop Elements 2.0, in fact I just got it 3 days ago along with my Canon s400. My question is that when I open one of my pictures taken from the camera (jpg) and save it as psd format,(without doing any changes) and then when I go to lets say ACDSee and view the properties for those two pictures, the jpg one has full EXIF info on it, but the psd one has no EXIF info, what am I doing wrong? dose elements remove all EXIF info or ...

  1. #1

    Default Saving to PSD format removes EXIF info?

    Hello all and thank you for your support.

    I'm very new to photoshop Elements 2.0, in fact I just got it 3 days ago along with my Canon s400.

    My question is that when I open one of my pictures taken from the camera (jpg)
    and save it as psd format,(without doing any changes) and then when I go to lets say ACDSee and view the properties for those two pictures, the jpg one has full EXIF info on it, but the psd one has no EXIF info, what am I doing wrong?
    dose elements remove all EXIF info or are they in another place?

    Sorry for the long post and Forgive my poor english as I'm not a native english speaker.

    Shyrah
    Shyrah Lusaya Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Saving to PSD format removes EXIF info?

    I'm not 100% sure but I think E2 doesn't support EXIF data beyond what is kept in the File Info dialog.

    And your English seems fine to me!
    Elena Murphy Guest

  3. #3

    Elena, I've had the same experience with three Canon cameras; the EXIF data
    is in the original, but doesn't survive the transition to "Save As" images.
    I blame it on Canon for having a non-standard EXIF format...

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  4. #4

    I thought PSE 2 kept EXIF info.

    Just did an experiment. Took a jpeg (Canon G3) pulled it into PSE2 Saved it as .PSD file.

    1) PSE2 continues to have the EXIF info
    2) PS Album has the EXIF info

    Both have it as EXIF Data in the .PSD file

    3) Irfanview Does NOT see the info.

    Looks like the PSD file may have the info stored in a different format.

    Mike G.
    Mike Geisterfer Guest

  5. #5

    Mike, the Help on IrfanView seems to imply that EXIF info is only viewable
    for JPG images; not sure that's true for all versions of IrfanView, but
    that could be a factor...

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  6. #6

    I have PSE1 and I notice that the ones where I used "save as" will display exif info and the ones where I use "save for web" have no exif info.
    bob lemon Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks to everyone for thier kind replys,

    To Mike G:

    Quate:
    "Both have it as EXIF Data in the .PSD file"

    But I did the same thing with my picture with the Canon S400, and the one with the PSD extention did not have any EXIF info, and just to get this straight, the way I'm checking to see the EXIF is to go to the FILE menu in PE2 and choose the "file info..." and then choose EXIf info from the dropdown box, am I right?

    Quate:
    "3) Irfanview Does NOT see the info. "

    What about ACDSee 5? because that's what I'm using.

    Thanks again for your help.
    Shyrah Lusaya Guest

  8. #8

    SWF keeps no additonal info. EXIF, ppi tag, etc.
    It's designed to keep the file size as small as possible, and even those
    small notations in the file header take some additional bytes.

    Mac
    Mac McDougald Guest

  9. #9

    Chuck, I think you are right on Irfanview. EXIF is only readable in jpegs. (No button)

    Shyrah, Yes I used the same method (file info). Can't say about ACDSee 5 as I don't used it. I use PS Album and the "metadata" is the same. I think that ACDSee may not read .PSD files in the same manner as Adobe products.

    Anybody else try my experiment with differing results.

    TIA
    Mike G.
    Mike Geisterfer Guest

  10. #10

    Shyrah, most of third party programs cannot read EXIF from PSD. Save As retains all the metadata embedded intact. Save for Web and Devices usually removes it, but starting from PSE 5 (or 4) it is became configurable. And for super flexible erasing of sensitive meta information, I prefer EXIFCleaner by Superutils.
    JWSearle is offline Junior Member
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hampshire