Professional Web Applications Themes

SBC DSL and Linux - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi folks, I'm looking into switching from Road Runner to SBC DSL, but I know little to nothing about DSL. I don't do ISP's that require installing proprietary software (AOL, MSN, etc), but when I review the SBC DSL website, they have a "Minimum System Requirements" chart: [url]http://www01.sbc.com/DSL_new/content/0,,55,00.html[/url] . I can understand this to a point since they won't want to put it on some old lady's computer who has a Pentium 75 with Windows 3.11, but I want to verify they don't use some proprietary software that makes the whole thing work. I want the 'network' portion and 'computer' ...

  1. #1

    Default SBC DSL and Linux

    Hi folks,

    I'm looking into switching from Road Runner to SBC DSL, but I know
    little to nothing about DSL.

    I don't do ISP's that require installing proprietary software (AOL,
    MSN, etc), but when I review the SBC DSL website, they have a "Minimum
    System Requirements" chart:
    [url]http://www01.sbc.com/DSL_new/content/0,,55,00.html[/url] .

    I can understand this to a point since they won't want to put it on
    some old lady's computer who has a Pentium 75 with Windows 3.11, but I
    want to verify they don't use some proprietary software that makes the
    whole thing work. I want the 'network' portion and 'computer' portion
    of my computer network to be seperate and independent of one another.

    Does anyone else use SBC DSL with Linux? I want to host several
    websites plus use it for web browsing. I'll probably keep RR and DSL
    concurrently, and if DSL doesn't pan out, drop it. But my goal is to
    run a web-server from home via the DSL.

    Thanks for any comments or suggestions,

    Keegan.
    Keegan Alex Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SBC DSL and Linux

    On 21 Jul 2003 09:08:29 -0700,
    Keegan Alex (keegex) wrote:
    > I don't do ISP's that require installing proprietary software (AOL,
    > MSN, etc), but when I review the SBC DSL website, they have a "Minimum
    > System Requirements" chart:
    > [url]http://www01.sbc.com/DSL_new/content/0,,55,00.html[/url] .
    >
    > Does anyone else use SBC DSL with Linux?
    Works fine. I don't have my Linux PC connected directly to the
    DSL modem, rather I have a Netgear MR314 between the two -- so the
    Netgear actually does the PPPoE negotiation.

    For the plan I have, IP addresses are assigned dynamically, but you
    can get a plan that gives you a static IP address.

    SBC doesn't block incoming port 80, so you can also use DynDNS to
    have others connect to your websites.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes

  3. #3

    On 21 Jul 2003 09:08:29 -0700, Keegan Alex <keegex> wrote:

    > I'm looking into switching from Road Runner to SBC DSL, but I know
    > little to nothing about DSL.
    >
    > I don't do ISP's that require installing proprietary software (AOL,
    > MSN, etc), but when I review the SBC DSL website, they have a "Minimum
    > System Requirements" chart:
    > [url]http://www01.sbc.com/DSL_new/content/0,,55,00.html[/url] .
    That is just if you install their bloated software (which is not required,
    in fact, not recommended for XP, which has problems with it and already
    has its own native PPPoE).

    SBC adsl works fine with either kernel pppoe or rp-pppoe. Some of us were
    just switched to a new system (BRAS instead of Redback) that does not seem
    to like hardware routers, but they are working on resolving that.
    Although, that does NOT affect software pppoe in Windows or Linux. So I
    am back to using Linux as my firewall/masq/router until they get the
    glitch with the new system resolved.

    You will be pleased to note that they do not block any ports. If you need
    to relay any mail through their authenticated smtp (which you may need to
    do for SBC destinations from dynamic IP), I have sendmail/postfix
    instructions for that at [url]http://efflandt.freeshell.org/sbc-smtp-auth.html[/url]

    The smtp auth also allows you to send mail from a mail client on any
    dialup or network (as long as that ISP or firewall does not block port
    25). You are allowed a simultanious adsl and dialup connection (handy for
    travelling). Their dialup is standard ppp.

    --
    David Efflandt - All spam ignored [url]http://www.de-srv.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/[/url] [url]http://www.berniesfloral.net/[/url]

  4. #4

    [email]efflandtxnet.com[/email] (David Efflandt) wrote in message news:<slrnbhut68.mhk.efflandttyphoon.xnet.com>...
    > On 21 Jul 2003 09:08:29 -0700, Keegan Alex <keegex> wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm looking into switching from Road Runner to SBC DSL, but I know
    > > little to nothing about DSL.
    > >
    > > I don't do ISP's that require installing proprietary software (AOL,
    > > MSN, etc), but when I review the SBC DSL website, they have a "Minimum
    > > System Requirements" chart:
    > > [url]http://www01.sbc.com/DSL_new/content/0,,55,00.html[/url] .
    >
    > That is just if you install their bloated software (which is not required,
    > in fact, not recommended for XP, which has problems with it and already
    > has its own native PPPoE).
    >
    > SBC adsl works fine with either kernel pppoe or rp-pppoe. Some of us were
    > just switched to a new system (BRAS instead of Redback) that does not seem
    > to like hardware routers, but they are working on resolving that.
    > Although, that does NOT affect software pppoe in Windows or Linux. So I
    > am back to using Linux as my firewall/masq/router until they get the
    > glitch with the new system resolved.
    >
    > You will be pleased to note that they do not block any ports. If you need
    > to relay any mail through their authenticated smtp (which you may need to
    > do for SBC destinations from dynamic IP), I have sendmail/postfix
    > instructions for that at [url]http://efflandt.freeshell.org/sbc-smtp-auth.html[/url]
    >
    > The smtp auth also allows you to send mail from a mail client on any
    > dialup or network (as long as that ISP or firewall does not block port
    > 25). You are allowed a simultanious adsl and dialup connection (handy for
    > travelling). Their dialup is standard ppp.
    Hi David,

    Thanks for the great info!!! I do have another general question.
    How's your experience been with SBC DSL? I don't care for the Yahoo
    frills, I just want a good, stable connection with a steady pipe. I
    know there'll be outages, but I'd like at least 95%-99% uptime, which
    is pretty much what I get with Road Runner right now. My main goal
    for switching is to run a webserver and email server, which 256Kbps
    upstream should be plenty for this.

    The only downside is I get 2Mb down with RR, and SBC DSL is 1.5Mb
    down. Not a huge difference, but when downloading 650 Meg Linux
    ISO's, that extra .5 Mb can sure help :)

    Thanks again, and take care,

    Keegan.
    Keegan Alex Guest

  5. #5

    Keegan Alex wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I'm looking into switching from Road Runner to SBC DSL, but I know
    > little to nothing about DSL.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > I can understand this to a point since they won't want to put it on
    > some old lady's computer who has a Pentium 75 with Windows 3.11, but I
    > want to verify they don't use some proprietary software that makes the
    > whole thing work. I want the 'network' portion and 'computer' portion
    > of my computer network to be seperate and independent of one another.
    >
    > [snip]
    When I registered, I had to use the software they sent me. It had to be
    installed on Windows. It checked the hardware config to insure it met
    the minimum standards before it allowed me to register. At least it
    said it was doing that in, as I remember, a friendly yellow box with no
    sharp corners, so you would know it was extra friendly.

    Once I had registered, picked a password, etc., I switched the PPPoE
    connection to a Linux box running RP-PPPoE. The semi-proprietary
    Windows software, along with the rest of the partition (having been
    brought into existence solely to host the mysteriously monolithic
    software from the installation CD) on which it lived, went to bit heaven
    the next day. Linux has worked fine ever since.

    Once upon a time I had a cable modem connection. It was kind of the
    same story. Initial registration was through the web to a server with a
    10.x address, but the web site only worked with IE. After that, Linux
    alone worked fine.

    Moral: Sometimes disposable Windows partitions come in handy.

    Allen Kistler Guest

  6. #6

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 at 05:55 GMT, David Efflandt eloquently wrote:
    > On 21 Jul 2003 09:08:29 -0700, Keegan Alex <keegex> wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm looking into switching from Road Runner to SBC DSL, but I know
    >> little to nothing about DSL.
    >>
    >> I don't do ISP's that require installing proprietary software (AOL,
    >> MSN, etc), but when I review the SBC DSL website, they have a "Minimum
    >> System Requirements" chart:
    >> [url]http://www01.sbc.com/DSL_new/content/0,,55,00.html[/url] .
    [...]
    I know the OP is set on SBC but if he doesn't want to install
    additional software and can get speakeasy, it might be worth
    looking into. Of course I am a biased user of their services.

    --
    Registered Linux User # 125653 ([url]http://counter.li.org[/url]) | Please remove
    Certified: 55% , 31% of which is tard. | '.invalid'

  7. #7

    On 24 Jul 2003 14:53:11 -0700, Keegan Alex <keegex> wrote:

    > Hi David,
    >
    > Thanks for the great info!!! I do have another general question.
    > How's your experience been with SBC DSL? I don't care for the Yahoo
    > frills, I just want a good, stable connection with a steady pipe. I
    > know there'll be outages, but I'd like at least 95%-99% uptime, which
    > is pretty much what I get with Road Runner right now. My main goal
    > for switching is to run a webserver and email server, which 256Kbps
    > upstream should be plenty for this.
    >
    > The only downside is I get 2Mb down with RR, and SBC DSL is 1.5Mb
    > down. Not a huge difference, but when downloading 650 Meg Linux
    > ISO's, that extra .5 Mb can sure help :)
    I have had SBC adsl since Jan 2002 (including after move June 2002). I
    think I only had 2 outages when their auth servers were down and my Dlink
    gave up trying to reconnect (7/2002 & 1/2003). And as of 7/17/2003 they
    are trying to figure out why some hardware gateway/router devices have
    trouble connecting to the new bras1 in Elmhurst, IL (no problems with
    Linux or Windows software pppoe, and there is also a workaround for
    routers to connect to a redback until new bras1 is sorted out).

    Other than that it seldom goes down for more than a few minutes in the wee
    hours of the morning, when they do maintenance and reboot something on
    their end. For example on July 8, I had been connected for 1192 hrs (49+
    days) and reconnection at that time might have been me making a config
    change on my router.

    The no-ip.com I use for dynamic DNS has been reliable and has a Unix
    client. Since I currently connect with SuSE 8.2 Linux kernel pppoe, I
    simply inserted the following in the appropriate section of /etc/ppp/ip-up
    (automatic even in demand mode):

    # update no-ip.com DNS
    /usr/local/bin/noip2 -i $LOCALIP