Professional Web Applications Themes

Scale and dimention tools - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi all anyone know of a plugin that give the same funtions as coral draw scale tool. I have three designers who have only used coral draw and now have to get there head around illustrator? Also looking for a dimentions tool similer to coral draw again? Thanks Ben...

  1. #1

    Default Scale and dimention tools

    Ben_picot@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Scale and dimention tools

    It would help if you described what CorelDraw's Scale tool does and how it differs from Illustrator's Scale tool.

    Remember, most of the people who hang out here are Illustrator users, not CorelDraw users. Assume we've never used CorelDraw, explain what you need to do, and maybe someone will know how.
    Teri Guest

  3. #3

    I think what Ben is referring to is the options one has when selecting an object in CorelDRAW. Click on an object once and you'll eight square handles appear around it to allow you to resize the object in a variety of ways. Click the object twice and you'll have rotational and shearing handles appear. The different handles toggle back and forth as you click the object.

    Essentially this is very similar to how objects behave in Illustrator when selected using the standard selection tool (black arrow tool). But Illustrator doesn't have the second set of rotate and skew handles.

    There are a few marked differences in behavior. Scaling from corner handles keeps object proportions constrained in Corel. In Illustrator you have to hold down the shift key to maintain proportions when scaling with the selection tool.

    In CorelDRAW, if you right click the mouse button while moving or transforming an object it leaves the original object in place and applies the move or transform to a new duplicate object. Sometimes that feature is pretty handy. Using the Ctrl+R (repeat) option can repeat the transform many times.

    CorelDRAW users are also accustomed to the Transform palette. It is a bit similar to the Inspector palette in Freehand. Options for numerical resizing, rotation and other transform functions can be found there. Corel users can find many of the same functions within Illustrator's Transform palette.

    The one major thing I feel Illustrator lacks compared to Corel is a good anchor point editing palette, and alignment functions for anchor points.
    Bobby_Henderson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    One thing I forgot to add in my previous post:

    The Free Transform Tool in AI CS2 provides most of the rotational and scaling options as one has when clicking objects in CorelDRAW. The only thing it lacks is the shearing ability.
    Bobby_Henderson@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    The only thing it lacks is the shearing ability.

    With the free transform tool, try various combinations of Alt, Ctrl, and Shift (one, two, and all three at a time) when dragging a corner point and when dragging a side point.

    I've never used CorelDraw, but I find Adobe's use of modifier keys with various tools to alter their functionality both fast and powerful.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    .... he means scale such as 1"=1'-0".

    basically in the options menu of coreldraw..or when u double click the ruler.

    so from a multi-application user (besides just adobe), what u are looking for can be found here:

    www.hotdoor.com

    Cadtools 4 and go ahead and get Multipage also (if they have it ready for CS2 yet!!!).

    you will love it once you get used to it... corel users will have a real hard time getting used to editing nodes in illustrator...it is so much easier and more straight forward in corel...so basically they have become spoiled... illo users that find illo node editing to be easy were raised on illo. so be ready for tons of complaints how painful it is for them using illo...but in the long run..illo is great! they both have there plus and minus's. i like corel for more technical, sign, and multipage doent work (built in). and illo mostly for printwork PAGE BY PAGE. then you have to assemble in an outside program...or use CS2 export to multiple pages in PDF.
    tim_d@adobeforums.com Guest