Professional Web Applications Themes

Scale model to 0, 0, 0 - Macromedia Director 3D

My model has an animation where it scales to 0%, essentially hiding it from view. It then scales back up to 100% its original size. In Director I am trying to play the sequence leading up to the scale-to-0 operation and then pause. Once the animation plays, however, the objects spring back to 100% their original size. Is there any reason that Director would have trouble with scaling an object to 0?...

  1. #1

    Default Scale model to 0, 0, 0

    adam@blueapplestudio Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Scale model to 0, 0, 0

    There should be no problem about scaling a model down to vector(0,0,0). Are you
    sure there is nothing wrong with the motionblending, playlist or something else
    that could make the motion jump to a different point?

    hondo3000 Guest

  3. #3

    hondo3000

    I set blendFactor, autoBlend and blendTime all to false before starting the
    animation, and the playlist is empty. My model seems to shrink down to (0, 0,
    0,) and then snap back to full size.

    adam@blueapplestudio Guest

  4. #4

    There is a file here (http://www.blueapplestudio.com/Director/ and click on ScaleToZeroTest.dir.zip) that illustrates my problem. Can you tell where I am making an error?
    adam@blueapplestudio Guest

  5. #5

    Is that the right animation? Looks to me like it snaps to zero then scales up to 100%
    McFazstp Guest

  6. #6

    I took another look at the animation itself and there seems to be a problem
    with the exporter.

    Here is a breakdown of the keyframes in Lightwave-

    0-10: static
    10-20: head scales from 100% to 0%
    20-30: static; holds on the 0% scale on the head
    30-40: scales back up to 100%
    40-60: static; holds on the 100% scale on the head

    <all keyframes are using linear interpolation.>

    Now, when the .w3d is viewed on the stage in Director, the head never seems to
    hold on 0% scale. There should be a full .333 second span (frames 20-30) where
    the head is invisible as it is scaled to 0%.

    Does anyone know of a scale-specific issue with the Lightwave exporter? Is
    this what the problem is?

    adam@blueapplestudio Guest

  7. #7

    Your code seems to work correct but the animation does not bahave like you
    described it. Import the 3D member into a new blank director-project, put it on
    the stage and hit the play button. Then you can see how the animation looks
    like.

    hondo3000 Guest

  8. #8

    You are both right to point to the animation itself. I think there may be a problem with the Lightwave exporter. I am going to do some tests and see if I can determine what the problem is.
    adam@blueapplestudio Guest

  9. #9

    Hi, is not posible to scale down an object to 0, on logical meanings it said
    vanished from the 3D world, nothing, in fact old versions of shockwave3D crash
    when the scale nearest aproach to 0. May you need to scale down to 0.0010 as
    minimun for each component of the model's scale vector and make the object full
    transparent by the shader property blend, or by the model property visibility
    set to #none, erase the model from de scene, remove from world, and others
    ways. I dont know what exactly you want to do but this information may help.

    Have a nice day.

    DAVID Guest

  10. #10

    Hello David,

    It sounds like you and hondo3000 have very different opinions on Director's
    ability to scale to 0. I haven't gotten it to work yet, so I am inclined to
    believe you are right.

    I have since gone the route you suggested. I am scaling the object by a
    percentage over time, and once it is below a small value the faces of the model
    are made invisible.

    Thanks for your input. I will stop looking to the LightWave exporter as the
    problem.

    -Adam

    adam@blueapplestudio Guest

  11. #11

    Ok, i did a short test and thought for a moment that it is possible to scale
    down to zero when you use the keyframeplayer. I took a simple cube and scaled
    it down from vector(1,1,1) to vector(0,0,0) (frame 1-50) and scaled it up to
    vector(1,1,1) again (frame 50-100). There seemed to be no problem, animation
    looked in director as expected.
    Had now a closer look at the scaling values and it seems that cinema4d exports
    in this case instead of vector(0,0,0) vector(0.0006, 0.0006, 0.0006).

    second test:
    Same cube scaled down from 1 to 0 (frame 1-50) and not scaling it up from
    frame 50-100. In this test the cube scales down, and when it should stay at a
    scaling of 0 it scales up to vector(1,1,1) instead of producing an error that
    would be produced when you try to use "mymodel.transform.scale=vector(0,0,0)".
    Same that happend in your demofile.

    DAVID NAJAR is completely right about the scaling in shockwave3d. I would
    still like to know if the shockwave3d-exporters export the scaling-vector with
    a value of vector(0,0,0) and the shockwave3d engine is replacing these values
    with vector(1,1,1) to avoid errors or if the animations are exported wrong from
    the 3d authoring programms...

    sorry for confusions...

    hondo3000 Guest

  12. #12

    No confusion, hondo3000. Also, I appreciate you performing those tests and
    sharing the results. I too would like to know what those scale vectors are
    exported as.

    Is there a .w3d pr out there? I tried opening the .w3d in a text editor
    and got a big mess. I'll investigate further and share anything I come up with.

    Thanks again.

    adam@blueapplestudio Guest