Professional Web Applications Themes

Scale Strokes and Effects doesn't work? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

This is my first post, and I'm not an Illustrator export (mostly dabbling), so I apologize for anything I say wrong. When I work on a project (i.e. a logo or another image of some sort) I give myself a large workspace and zoom in to make little models of what I want, then compare them all and decide on a final one. I now realize that this is not such a good idea. Anyway, my problem now is that I have a small scale version of my logo, which I can export as large as I want, but I ...

  1. #1

    Default Scale Strokes and Effects doesn't work?

    This is my first post, and I'm not an Illustrator export (mostly dabbling), so I apologize for anything I say wrong.

    When I work on a project (i.e. a logo or another image of some sort) I give myself a large workspace and zoom in to make little models of what I want, then compare them all and decide on a final one. I now realize that this is not such a good idea.

    Anyway, my problem now is that I have a small scale version of my logo, which I can export as large as I want, but I can't make a good PDF of it. It's on an 800px by 800px canvas, and can be seen well at about a 1600% zoom level.
    I tried using Transform > Scale and selecting "Scale Strokes and Effects" before resizing the object, but this made some aspects of it disappear.

    Here is an export of (part of) the logo at it's small size:
    <http://www.prodigysim.com/small.png>

    Here is an export of it at 600% scale, all strokes and effects scaled too:
    <http://www.prodigysim.com/large.png>

    As you can see, there was a sort of stylized edge on the logo at the bottom. There were similar effects on other parts of the logo. And, of course, they disappeared when I resized it, too.

    Does anyone have any idea how I can get a larger version of the logo without losing these effects?
    Mike_Busby@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Scale Strokes and Effects doesn't work?

    Mike,

    It would help to know what effect(s) you were applying to get the thickening at the bottom.

    Scale Strokes and Effects scales the parameters of strokes and vector effects, and then runs the effect with those larger values. Parameters of Photoshop-based raster effects such as the Blur and Texture effects cannot be scaled, because the Photoshop plugin API does not support the concept of an effect having a scale the way the Illustrator plugin API does.

    A very reliable way of preserving appearance through scaling operations is to freeze all effects by applying the Expand Appearance operation. (If the scale is non-uniform and the object has thick strokes, you may also want to expand the strokes to fills.) But of course then your effects are no longer live.

    If we knew which effects you were using we might be able to tell you what the best way of preserving that particular effect would be.
    Teri Guest

  3. #3

    I think the Appearance thing is messing me up. All the strokes and brush styles seem to be completely default, yet I got those strange patterns.
    Appearance seems to be the only thing that doesn't scale with the other effects.

    ----

    I just went and tried it, and that seemed to be exactly what I wanted.

    I don't really need to be able to mess with the effects anymore, I can do all that on a smaller scale. I just want the ease or exporting at certain dpi levels and having a nice looking PDF.

    Thanks alot, Teri!
    Mike_Busby@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I can't really tell what you are describing. I didn't see any "strange patterns" in the example you posted, merely a loss of variation in the thickness of the swash.

    And I can't tell what you mean when you say "Appearance seems to be the only thing that doesn't scale with the other effects." Appearance is a catch-all word for everything related to how an object appears other than its basic geometry, including all of its strokes, fills, brushes, transparency, and effects. So there is no such thing as distinguishing between appearance and "other effects." If some aspect of an object shows in Preview mode and not in Outline mode, then it is by definition part of the Appearance.

    But if Expand Appearance works for you and you don't need the effects to be live, I guess it is not necessary to figure out which effects weren't scaling.
    Teri Guest