Professional Web Applications Themes

Scale to custom center - Macromedia Fireworks

Hello, I've got a large image and want to make several smaller pictures out of it with a different scale each (let's say 100%, 50%, 25%). For example if the original picture shows a man in front of a mountain, the 25% version of it fits exactly the size of the smaller pictures, the 50% doesn't show the top of the mountain and the 100% image only shows the man's face. The zoom center is not the center of the original image (the man's face can be in the lower left corner). If you made a movie, you would have ...

  1. #1

    Default Scale to custom center

    Hello,

    I've got a large image and want to make several smaller pictures out of it
    with a different scale each (let's say 100%, 50%, 25%). For example if the
    original picture shows a man in front of a mountain, the 25% version of it
    fits exactly the size of the smaller pictures, the 50% doesn't show the top
    of the mountain and the 100% image only shows the man's face.
    The zoom center is not the center of the original image (the man's face can
    be in the lower left corner).
    If you made a movie, you would have to zoom and move the camera
    simultaneously, the pictures should look like single images from this film.

    How can I do this with Fireworks? I've tried the scale tool and set the
    center point on the face but when I actually scale, it returns to the center
    of the image.

    Thank you!

    Thomas Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Scale to custom center

    Hi Thomas,

    Use the Rectangle selection tool to select the parts of the image in the
    sizes you want. With each one, copy the selection to the clipboard.
    Choose Select > Deselect, click on the pointer tool (black arrow) and
    choose Edit > Paste to paste the selection back in as a floating image
    object. You'll notice that when you activate the Rectangle selection
    tool, some options for it show up on the Property inspector. If you
    like, you can preset the sizes of your selections by choosing Fixed Size
    from the Style selector.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  3. #3

    Hm, I think you misunderstood me. At the end I want three different pictures
    (besides the original).
    Just imagine a cameraman who films a person standing in front of a mountain
    far away. At the beginning you can see the whole mountain and a very tiny
    man in the lower third of the picture, this is the first image. Then he
    starts zooming on the man, ie he has to zoom and move the camera down in
    order to have the man be shown. A second picture is taken now. The zoom -and
    movement- go on until only the person is visible. That's the third picture.
    If you look at all pictures in a row you will be able to notice the camera
    movement.
    If I just take the original picture, scale it to 100%, 50% and 25%, select
    an equal sized part of it each, then I won't get an exact result. Imagine
    those pictures taken out of a movie, then you could see that the camera
    wasn't moving "in one line".
    I also tried to do it with Flash: The first frame shows the picture at 25%,
    the last frame at 100% with the man in the center. I created an animation
    tween which slowly zooms and moves towards the man and took some
    screenshots. This worked but you will agree that it isn't very
    comfortable...

    So, what can I do?
    Sorry for bad English, that's because it's possible that you, Linda, did
    understand it correctly but I just didn't get it. Hm

    Thanks

    Thomas Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bu47l4$d2r$00$t-online.com>,
    "Thomas Fuchs" <de> wrote:

    1. Put the mountain on one layer, shared across frames.

    2. On a new layer above the first layer and not shared, put the small
    (i.e., distant) man.

    3. Make the man a graphic symbol.

    4. Clone the symbol.

    5. Scale the man with Free Transform, dragging the upper corners to get
    the right size for the final (close-up) frame. Don't move the bottom
    corners.

    6. Select both instances of the man, and tween, distributing to frames.

    If your man is a bitmap, it's probably better to start with the large
    size and make it smaller.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/