    Removed by Administrator
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  2. #22

    Default Re: Scanners

    Chuck,
    I am sure you would find Norm Korem's "the Epson 3200 Scanner: User Impression 1" illuminating. It's under his review of Epson printers.
    So far I am quite happy with the result scanning 120 roll film negatives. But as I said before, the true test will be when I get around to digging up my 35mm slides. I will report when I've done some scanning and printing.

    Bert,
    Don't remember where I read about it before. I seem to recall reading something about what you said regarding flatbed scanners having a narrower Dynamic Range tha film scanners.
    When I bought the scanner in May, it's sole purpose was to scan photo prints firstly and then the negatives when they become available. My son and his bride hired a pro photographer for their wedding, and this yo-yo had all his film processing, rough proofing and finished prints done overseas to save on his costs. The guy didn't even spring for airmail express both ways! So the first proofs took nearly 4 weeks, and it's another two months before the final prints and the negatives were returned. they were slow boats to China indeed. :)
    The scanner was bought so I could make prints from the proofs, as a stopgap to send "interims" to friends and relatives. In the end, the finish final prints came in extremely high contrast with color cast of various shades for each print! I supect the negatives had not been properly neutralized and washed. Once again the scanner was called on to do it's duty. Quite a few of the negs had crystalline particles even in the mid tone areas. You can see the crystalline reflectins on the emulsion side against angled reflected light. I also had the same experience with onboard processing on cruice ships. Fortunatlely, with PSE and hours of painstaking work, prsentable 8x10 and even 11x14 prints became possible.
    Noice was present in the dark areas of the negs, but I suspect no more than usual. I'll look into this question in greater detail when I get a chance to do more scanning with my 35mm slides.

    Shan
    Shan_Ko@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #23

    Beth,

    $424.99 is a real deal! Paid $500 for my 3200 last May. I suggest to take a good look at the Canon S9000 before you buy mail order. I recall at least two reviews that had unfavorable comments on the flimsy Canon film carriers. I imagine if the carriers are bent or twisted, the film plane would not scan normal to the light path.
    Had myself a look at both at the local CompUSA, and regretably gave up the Canon although I much prefer its software with Canon's dust-busting function kind of like "ICE".

  4. #24

    I am confused now. While I was researching the compatibility of the Epson with the newest operating system for Mac, I spotted a news release about a replacement for the 3200 Pro that will be out Feb 1. It sounds even better, and it will come with that ICE software Microtek has had in their 6800 for a while. I'm sure that's why the Epson 3200 now has a $100 rebate available - they want to clear them out!

    Every time I think I've decided on something a new wrinkle emerges. :) Alas, all I wanted was a new toy, and it's getting so complicated.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #25

    Beth, here's a link to the Epson website that says the 3200 Pro is in stock
    now, and it has a $100 rebate, too - off its $599 list price (whew!). Just
    to add to the confusion....

    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=27766186

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #26

    I saw that, Chuck, which is what caught my attention this morning when I went back there after seeing a notice of a new model. That rebate wasn't there last week when I was looking at them. (Good thing I didn't buy then, huh? I would have been ticked!)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #27

    Shan,
    It seems to me that I have read that color slides are the biggest problem on flatbeds...negatives are not, and I can't remember why. I'll see if I can find anything on that. Might have been in Wayne Fulton's book, which I have. Anyway, if I had known about the Epson 3200, I might well have bought it instead of my HP flatbed and Minolta film scanner. The two of them cost me almost $600.
    Bert
    EDIT: I really like the Minolta, though. Very easy to use, and the quality is very good with the VueScan software. I've scanned about 2500 color slides and negs with it so far.
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #28

    Beth,
    Please double check whether Epson new scanner comes with ICE for BOTH prints and negatives/slides. The Microtek's ICE is only for PRINTS! I know the feeling of new wrinkle cropping up at every turn. It's gotten to the point that I have come to accept new toys changing into instant antiques the moment the brown truck drops them off. :)

  9. #29

    It's gotten to the point that I have come to accept new toys changing
    into instant antiques the moment the brown truck drops them off

    Ain't that the truth! I have the same feeling.
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #30

    Bert,
    Thanks for the headsup on the Minolta film scanner. If that is 2780dpi, it was the model I was considering before getting the flat bed. If the slides don't scan out the way I like, I might have to get a bigger desk (:)) and invest in a film scanner.
    Does the Vuescan software come with any dust removal function? I remember there was one post on the Nikon scanner. The software comes with both ICE and ROC. Will have to search the archives when I need to buy one. But then the Niken IV (?) is aroung $$700, which may be too much for me.

  11. #31

    I have an issue with that brown truck....and its counterparts of other color
    schemes. They used to deliver expensive items only if they got a human and
    a signature; now they just drop the package at the door, push the doorbell
    and run for their truck.... Been lucky so far, but one of these days a
    camera, scanner, printer, or lens is going to 'walk away' from my front
    door...

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #32

    Wow, Chuck, is your comment ever apropos right now for me! I ordered a telescope for my grandson for Christmas a few days ago, and it arrived today...I didn't hear the UPS truck arrive, and just happened to check the front porch...two big boxes just sitting there! Anybody could have walked off with them.
    Bert
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #33

    Thanks for the headsup on the Minolta film scanner. If that is 2780dpi,
    it was the model I was considering before getting the flat bed

    Shan,
    It's 2820 dpi. I have the Minolta Dimage Dual Scan II. The Scan III has replaced mine. It has USB 2.0 which speeds up the file transfer considerably. I paid $250 for mine. You can buy the Scan III for about the same price now, I think. I'm very happy with mine, even though the transfer is via USB 1.1 which is a little slow. Scanning at max resolution takes about 2 minutes per slide in batch mode using VueScan.
    Bert
    EDIT: There is no dust-removal function in VueScan. You gotta use the Clone Stamp. If you brush all the images first, it isn't that much of a problem.
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. #35

    At least they're still ringing my doorbell! Of course, around here the dog starts barking when the truck comes around the corner, so my notification process is pretty good. If I'm home, which is an entirely different issue.

    I'm really sorry about you having your packages ripped off, Jodi. It's always so sad to realize that the people living around us have to little respect for the property of other people.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #36

    My front porch is surrounded by a tall hedge of bush roses, so anyone who had larceny in mind would have to come right up to the porch to see the packages. Still...I was home and didn't hear the doorbell...dunno if they rang it or not.
    Bert
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #37

    Beth...it wasn't me !!! I copied this from someone elses site. She had more 'bleeping' words to say about UPS but I couldn't copy that ...anyways, my husband ordered a large package and I've been sitting home for 2 days waiting for the brown truck.
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #38

    Oh! Plagerizing, are we?! :) Well, I'm sorry I was so dense as to miss that was something you were passing along as having happened to someone else. I'm NOT sorry to hear it wasn't you! That was just about my last post of the day. See why I turn in early? I get dumber and dumber as the day goes on.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #39

    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #40

    Beth and Jodi,
    I missed it too...I thought it happened to you, Jodi.
    DUH...
    Bert
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast