Professional Web Applications Themes

Scanners - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am finally setting up my multimedia studio! I've upgraded my PC, hooked up a tablet, purchased (I think) a decent injkjet printer (HP5600), now I'm onto the scanner. What's the best scanner for photoshop purposes under about $200? Do those slide attachments really work? What experience can you share with me? I'll be working with old photos (some ancient) and new photographs or slides, printed media, even found objects (?) Advice?...

  1. #1

    Default Scanners

    I am finally setting up my multimedia studio! I've upgraded my PC, hooked up
    a tablet, purchased (I think) a decent injkjet printer (HP5600), now I'm
    onto the scanner. What's the best scanner for photoshop purposes under about
    $200? Do those slide attachments really work? What experience can you share
    with me? I'll be working with old photos (some ancient) and new photographs
    or slides, printed media, even found objects (?) Advice?

    Keren Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Scanners

    I've got an Epson Perfection 1660 Photo scanner which does slides.

    Yes, the slide scanner parts really do work, not as good as say a dedicated
    slide scanner which can cost you upwards of $800 for a really good one
    (Nikon or Canon), but they work :)

    i'll upload some of the examples i've got and see what you think.

    -- L

    "Keren" <kira04comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I am finally setting up my multimedia studio! I've upgraded my PC, hooked
    up
    > a tablet, purchased (I think) a decent injkjet printer (HP5600), now I'm
    > onto the scanner. What's the best scanner for photoshop purposes under
    about
    > $200? Do those slide attachments really work? What experience can you
    share
    > with me? I'll be working with old photos (some ancient) and new
    photographs
    > or slides, printed media, even found objects (?) Advice?

    Lisa Duskis Guest

  3. #3

    scans :

    [url]http://darkroomdaily.com/images/stuff/1660slide.jpg[/url] (fuji provia 400F)

    [url]http://darkroomdaily.com/images/stuff/1660neg.jpg[/url] (fujipress 800)

    hope that helps.

    the scanner cost me $120

  4. #4

    Best image quality that has USB 1.1 and is Mac OS X compatible. Would love to have OCR if you know what models have it. My target amount is $200 UDS but can go a bit higher.
    Duo_Maxwell1@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Just a short clarification:
    - any USB 2 scanner is also 1.1 capable
    - any flatbed is "OCR capable". OCR is a software function.
    Perhaps not all, but certainly most, flatbed scanners come with an OCR
    package bundled, but it is usually a "lite" (limited) version and for any
    serious text conversion one must usually buy a full OCR version
    separately.

    Mac
    Mac_McDougald@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Best in your price range may be what I just got - The Epson Perfection 3170 Photo. A lot of people feel it is nearly identical to their top level consumer models, at about half the price.

    I'm very happy with mine.
    Arranger@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I also have the 3170, got it for $199, very happy with it and it came with a coupon to upgrade elements to photoshop 7. I used the coupon to upgrade to CS for $299. Very happy all the way around.
    Derwin_Hales@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I have the HP Scanjet 3570c and I would warn anyone against it. I bought a 3570c in August and have had to call technical support at least ten times. My original unit had a bad ccd that produced colored lines on scans, and then the replacement unit they sent me had the same problem. Now I am trying to get another replacement from them but have been waiting over a week for a "rush" replacement after they "escalated the case" to a case manager.

    I am thinking about dumping the HP and buying another brand of scanner. Sounds like people are happy with the Epson. Will the Epson 3170 work in the Windows environment as well?
    Luis_Puncel@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    yes
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Nanny Goat, (your yes!)

    You are usually to the point and accurate but that "yes" is the shortest
    answer I have ever seen from you :)

    Pete
    (smiling)

    Pete_D@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I kind of liked that 'yes' :)...some posts are just way too long ;)
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Jodi, I resemble that remark....

    ;-)

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Chuck, na....i was sort of kidding....it's mostly the quotes that take up the space ;)
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    I have the HP Scanjet 3570c and I would warn anyone against it

    I have had an HP 5470c scanner for over a year, and I think it's great. It comes with a very nice user interface and a very capable OCR software package which I have used extensively to scan a typewritten draft of a novel into a Word doent. I have also used it to scan both color and B&W prints, and it comes with an external slide/negative adapter which enables you to scan 35mm slides or negatives. HP has a newer model now for about the same price ($300).
    The consensus in this forum is that Epson scanners are best. I won't dispute that, but when I bought mine, the equivalent Epson scanner was more expensive. I don't know if that's still true or not.
    Bert
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Duo,

    My vote is for the Epson Perfection 3170. Bought my Perfection 3200 back in May before the deal for upgrading to the full PS was available. I passed over the Canon S9000 at the same resolution and price because of a review about their flimsy film carriers.
    So far I am quite happy with the Epson scanner which I use more for film scanning. Only fault is the lack of the ICE dust removal "tool".

    Shan
    Shan_Ko@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Only fault is the lack of the ICE dust removal "tool".

    Shan,
    Do those things really work? I always use an anti-static brush before I scan slides or negs anyway, and often the older ones still require cleanup of specks and discolorations which are in the emulsion and would not be removed by the ICE.
    I'm surprised you are happy with a flatbed scanner for film scanning, though. Even a low-priced film scanner should give you better resolution, greater dynamic range, lower noise in the dark areas of slides, and faster, more convenient scanning workflow.

  17. #17

    Bert, I have a Pacific Image Electronics slide/negative scanner, which scans at 1800 dpi. At the time I bought it, this was significantly higher than any inexpensive flatbed scanner.

    Newer flatbed scanners, however, seem to be going very high in the number of ... of ... of ... dpi (aaaghh! I said that word!)

    Is an 1800 dpi dedicated film/slide scanner still better than a new high-dpi flatbed scanner with a slide/negative mount?
    Lou_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Bert,

    I was going to get a mid-price film scanner until I can across Norm Korem's artical on the Epson Perfection 3200. The comparison done by Korem showed little or no difference in resolution between that Epson flatbed and a mid-price dedicated film scanner. Also reviews in photo magazine tend to favor the Epson over the Canon Canoscan S9000. I took the plunge and I am glad I did.

    I haven't had the chance to try out the 48-bit depth at the max. 3200 dpi(sic) yet, because I read somewhere that Elements only supports 24-bit. From 6x7 and 6x9 cm negatives and on a 24-bit 3200 dpi scans, the images come out around 130 to 170 MB's! Speaking for myself, those are really big file with very nice tonal range, rich colors and not a lot of noice. Of course, I have to spend a lot on canned air and time with a fine sable brush on the negs. ;) When I get a chance to get out the slides, I'll be able to see if there's excessive noice from the scanning.

    The only thing I need is a better scanning software. The Epson software that came with the disk is just adequate, and the bundle cutdown version of Silverfast is clumsy to use and not intuitive. There is no manual for either.

  19. #19

    Shan, thanks for the review of the 3200. I'm going to have to look into
    that one. I'm eager to get back into slide photography and I was just
    beginning to consider scanning alternatives. Good timing!

  20. #20

    For anybody who is a Costco member, I just saw the Epson 3200 Pro on their website. The price is $524.99, and then there's a $100 Costco rebate. I've had great experience with Costco rebates, so a AR price of $424.99 is really good for this scanner. I think it's usually up around $600 to $700. I'd been looking at it myself a few days ago, and it was one of the three on my short list. They've also got a good price on the Canon 9900, I think. Gotta go now and add a couple of things to my Christmas list! :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast