Professional Web Applications Themes

scanning out of focus slides?? - Photography

While scanning thousands of old family slides and negs, I cam across a wonderful set of wedding slides from 1943 (another war year, remember?). They are old kodachromes, and the colors have held up really well. Problem is, most of them are not quite in focus. (Is this an aging problem??) Are there any processes you might suggest for fixing these? Can't really go back and retake 'cause the subjects be done gone. I have tried ACDSee, PaintShop, Photoshop, and others, using sharpen filters, unsharp masks, etc, all to no avail. Can a photo shop re-image these somehow?? Is there ...

  1. #1

    Default scanning out of focus slides??

    While scanning thousands of old family slides and
    negs, I cam across a wonderful set of wedding slides
    from 1943 (another war year, remember?). They are old
    kodachromes, and the colors have held up really well.
    Problem is, most of them are not quite in focus. (Is
    this an aging problem??) Are there any processes
    you might suggest for fixing these? Can't really go
    back and retake 'cause the subjects be done gone.

    I have tried ACDSee, PaintShop, Photoshop, and others,
    using sharpen filters, unsharp masks, etc, all to no avail.
    Can a photo shop re-image these somehow?? Is there a graphics
    program that might fix them?

    thanks,

    chuck

    chuck Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: scanning out of focus slides??

    Don't know if it actually works or not...

    http://www.focusmagic.com/index.htm

    --
    "chuck" <net> wrote in message

    StillMan Guest

  3. #3

    If the original is not in focus, a scan won't be either.

    The Focus Magic product looks interesting and might be worth trying.

    One other possibility is to scan the image at a huge size and then reduce it
    in size and DPI and apply an unsharp mask. That sometimes gives the
    appearance of being sharper.

    But if they're really out of focus, don't know ...

    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    << most of them are not quite in focus. (Is
    this an aging problem??) Are there any processes
    you might suggest for fixing these? >><BR><BR>

    The Laser Lab at USC (Los Angeles) was working on a process with lasers many
    years ago that had the ability to sharpen transparencies that are out of focus.
    I'm not sure if a commercial application was ever developed or not from this
    research.

    Dan Lindsay
    Santa Barbara
    EDGY01 Guest

  5. #5

    The demo works on five images, after that you have to register it.

    I tried it on one image that had motion blur, and as they state on their
    site, it didn't do much for that.

    I also tried it on a slightly out of focus portrait, it did a good job. It's
    not as sharp as if I had focused properly, but it was remarkably better.
    BTW, it took about 5 minutes to process one 30mb tif on my P4/1.7ghz.

    I would try the scan big, downsize and USM before I spent any money.

    --
    "Mike Elek" <melek fptoday . com> wrote in message
    it

    StillMan Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:24:03 +0000 (UTC), "Jim White"
    <com> wrote:

    Given this guy's review I come to the conclusion ... out of focus =
    out of focus. It did improve some apparent sharpness in some potos
    but his was not a "focus" problem. In the Mickey shot, the filter did
    little good. OTH.. the reviewer was using jpegs.... and the
    manufacturer suggests using TIFF's... which is more likely the output
    of the film scanner. Still... I hold reservation. In the early
    forty's what was the speed of Kodachrome? ASA 8 probably.. maybe 10,
    I don't remember. A fast lens was 3.5 ... likely lots of focus and
    camera shake problems here. Digital is just like the old wet
    darkroom... you can't create what wasn't there in the first place...
    you can correct some problems if you have enough info to fix it.
    Sharpness can't be created from an out of focus shot. Sharpen filters
    and Unsharp masks are designed to offset the effects of digital
    scanning and manipulation.. not to create something that wasn't there
    in the first place.

    Jim II
    Jim Guest