Professional Web Applications Themes

Scanning percentage and scanners - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Hi I know that if I increase image size in photoshop I degrade the image because of interpolation. Is it true that if I increase the image size at time of scanning eg 150% I increase the file size but keep the same quality? I provide photos to a professional firm of graphic designers. Sadly I only have a cheap home scanner. They have the full expensive professional equipment and are used to this level of service. Can any one suggest a scanner that is the top end of the amateur level, a lot less expensive than the professional stuff, ...

  1. #1

    Default Scanning percentage and scanners

    Hi
    I know that if I increase image size in photoshop I degrade the image because of interpolation. Is it true that if I increase the image size at time of scanning eg 150% I increase the file size but keep the same quality?
    I provide photos to a professional firm of graphic designers. Sadly I only have a cheap home scanner. They have the full expensive professional equipment and are used to this level of service. Can any one suggest a scanner that
    is the top end of the amateur level, a lot less expensive than the professional stuff, but with which I won't disgrace myself as I do at the moment.
    Many thanks
    Johnny in London UK
    johnny_armstead@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Scanning percentage and scanners

    Johnny, I would look at the Epson scanners that fit your budget. I don't know the model numbers that might be in the UK but in the US $300 to $400 Epson scanners produces very good results. Not knowing what kind of images you are starting with, or what the expectations are, I can't be any more specific. Could you describe the types of images you are working with and how they are to be used?

    Gary
    Gary_Hummell@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Is it true that if I increase the image size at time of scanning eg 150%
    I increase the file size but keep the same quality?

    If I understand your question correctly, the scanner software is giving you the option to change the resolution AFTER scanning to increase the size of a printed image. That will not affect image quality. However, if you want to enlarge the final image, a better method is to scan at higher resolution, and then in Photoshop, reduce the resolution to get the size you want. If you are planning on printing the image, you probably want a final resolution around 300 ppi. So, if you want to double the size of the original image, you should scan at 600 ppi. If you want to quadruple the size, scan at 1200 ppi. If you are scanning for monitor display, then you probably want a final image of 800 pixels or so in the longest dimension. In that case, just divide 800 by the long dimension (in inches) and that will give you the scan resolution to use.
    Bert
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    If you are scanning above the optical resolution of your scanner, then you're letting the scanning software do the interpolation, rather than doing it in Photoshop. If you need to upscale, try one of the step schemes in Photoshop, going up about 10% each step. If you need a lower resolution, and your system can work with the full optical resolution image without strain, I'd suggest downsizing in Photoshop as well.

    I use an Epson 2450 for 9x12cm sheet film. It is soft, but usable. I've heard that the later model in this series is better.
    Tim_Spragens@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    If you are scanning above the optical resolution of your scanner, then
    you're letting the scanning software do the interpolation, rather than
    doing it in Photoshop

    That's right, Tim. I should have mentioned that. I assumed that his scanner would do at least 1200 ppi without interpolation.