Professional Web Applications Themes

Scanning under Acrobat 8 with CanoScan LiDE 70 (Intel) - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

I can't scan using Acrobat 8 Pro from a CanoScan LiDE 70 on either of 2 Intel Macintoshes. I have confirmed that I have downloaded the latest driver (which is Universal) for the scanner, and I can scan from both Word and Photoshop CS (both PPC). When I try to scan from Acrobat, I can select the scanner, and when I push the "Scan" button the twain interface window comes up but I can't push any of the buttons (including the red close button on the title bar). I have to force-quit Acrobat. I have talked to Adobe support, and ...

  1. #1

    Default Scanning under Acrobat 8 with CanoScan LiDE 70 (Intel)

    I can't scan using Acrobat 8 Pro from a CanoScan LiDE 70 on either of 2 Intel Macintoshes. I have confirmed that I have downloaded the latest driver (which is Universal) for the scanner, and I can scan from both Word and Photoshop CS (both PPC). When I try to scan from Acrobat, I can select the scanner, and when I push the "Scan" button the twain interface window comes up but I can't push any of the buttons (including the red close button on the title bar). I have to force-quit Acrobat.

    I have talked to Adobe support, and they have no suggestions, but have put it on their bug list. Anybody here have advice? (other than "Scan in another program, then import to Acrobat", which I will do).

    TIA
    Alan_Harper@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Can you use image capture to scan?
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Yes, I can use Image Capture, but I'm not sure why you ask. It doesn't appear that Image Capture is using the TWAIN plug-in. I may be wrong, but I think it is talking directly to the scanner.
    Alan_Harper@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I have a Canon LIDE 60 with the same problem.

    It seems that the scanner installer does not install to Acrobat, but it does install to Photoshop.

    I have made several tests using the plug ins from Photoshop but without success.

    Does anybody know WHERE within /Library/Adobe/Application Support/Acrobat the TWAIN driver is supposed to go?

    If we can have the answer to this then I think we can scan from within Acrobat.

    JLF
    macwoman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    If something shows up only in Photoshop, it may be that the scanner
    isn't installing TWAIN at all, but a Photoshop aquire plug-in.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I have the same problem with the Lide 600F and Acrobat 8. In Acrobat 7.08 everything works fine. But I recognised that the OCR function does not understand the umlauten and accents in a German text. I work around in scanning the text as english and then copy and paste the text in work and done a spelling proof of the text :-(

    Gerard
    Gerard_Dirks@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    macwoman--I get the TWAIN panel to come up on my computer, it just doesn't respond to mouse clicks--this panel looks just like the panel that comes up when I try to scan from MS Word. Is this what you are seeing, or are you not seeing anything? Let me know, and I can see what files are installed where.

    Aandi--As I said, it scans from MS Word as well as Photoshop, which makes be believe that a TWAIN plug-in is being installed, and that MS Word (at least) can successfully call the PPC code in that plug-in.

    Gerard--Unless I misunderstand you, you are talking about something different. My problem has nothing to do with OCR, but with scanning.

    All--It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has tried to scan with the LiDE 70 from Acrobat 8 with a PPC Macintosh.

    Also, this bug, if it be a bug, has been reported to Adobe, and presumably they will fix it if they can te it.

    Alan_Harper@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Acrobat 8 only supports Universal Binary TWAIN drivers on Intel-based Macintosh computers.

    To check whether your installed scanner driver is a Universal Binary driver, do the following:
    1. In Finder, go to Library > Image Capture > TWAIN Data Sources.
    2. Select the scanner driver.
    3. Ctrl-click and select Get Info.
    4. Check the Kind property. It will read Package (PowerPC) or Package (Universal).

    If the Kind is Package (PowerPC), then contact the scanner manufacturer to obtain the latest driver.
    MarkATS@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Yes, I already confirmed that the latest scanner TWAIN driver for the LiDE 70 is a universal binary. Interestingly, for reasons that are obscure to me, Acrobat is installed as an Intel-only binary, and I cannot launch it under Rosetta (the button "Use Rosetta" is missing in the Finder Info Panel for Acrobat 8 ). A nice person at Adobe tried to explain to me why this is, but I didn't understand it.
    Alan_Harper@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Alan, thank you for your post.

    When I try to scan, I use the 'Create pdf' button or the one from the File Menu 'create pdf'>from scanner but I get the same thing both times - in the dialog box that opens it says 'Please Select a Device' with what should be a drop down menu - but there is nothing there - it does not allow me to enter the drop down menu. looks like something is missing.

    I have reinstalled the scanner software, as one should after installing a new application that has (rather, or should have) scanning capability.

    Scanning from within Acrobat would be fine, fershur. let me know what you find out, please Alan.

    macwoman
    macwoman@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I have the exact same problem on a Canon MP830. I verified that the driver loaded is Power PC. I don't understand why Canon did not include universal binary driver since the unit was purchased 3 days ago. I will followup with Canon to see what they say.
    BGCline@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Halfway there. Canon's latest driver is UB and this allows Acrtobat to see the scanner and startup the ScanGear app. Problem is that ScanGear is frozen (no menus, buttons, tabs work) and must use force quit. ScanGear interface works fine in Word, Image Ready, Photoshop. Obviously Adobe needs to fix the UB version of Acrobat 8 Pro. This is not a trivial bug IMHO.
    BGCline@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Same thing here with a Canon MP780. Running "MP Scangear" directly works, Image Capture works, but from Acrobat, the scanning window is locked up. Yes, the driver is universal. The Scangear application itself is not, but I don't think it is involved.
    Tilman_Sporkert@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    For reasons that are beyond my comprehension, Acrobat is Intel, but doesn't give the option to run under Rosetta. If it did, then one could presumably use the PowerPC plug-ins.

    Has anyone tested the Canon interface with Photoshop CS-3 (Intel)? I don't know if that is the same scanning interface as Acrobat is trying to use, but it might help us understand the problem.
    Alan_Harper@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Hello Alan,

    I just tested my Lide 600F. it works fine with Photoshop CS3▀eta on my macBook Pro 17"Intel Core 2 Duo but it crashes with Acrobat 8.0.

    Maybe this helps you
    Gerard_Dirks@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    I have a Canon MP800R (multifunction printer/scanner/copier).

    I have seen two issues with Acrobat Pro 8.0.0 on my MacBook Pro ...

    1) the original driver from Canon was PowerPC only and doesn't work with Acrobat on my MacBook Pro (because the Acrobat TWAIN interface only works on Intel with a Universal driver).

    2) Having upgraded to a Universal driver from the Canon website I get the hung TWAIN panel (i.e. I have to Force Quit Acrobat).

    However, "It just works (TM)" on my PowerMac G5.

    So it's an Intel related issue, but whether it's Canon's problem or Adboe's, I cannot tell.

    Phil
    Phil_Harman@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I can also confirm that Acrobat Pro 7.0.0 works fine with the Canon MP800R on my MacBook Pro ... where I guess everything (Acrobat and scanner driver) is running under Rosetta ... so again, it is not clear when the Acrobat Pro 8.0.0 scanning problem lies.
    Phil_Harman@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Phil,

    Did you fix permissions after installing the new driver?

    Mike
    MikeKazlow@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    No, but I've done it now and it makes no difference (and looking at the log of permission fixes, there's nothing close to Acrobat or the Canon driver). I guess I still view permission fixes as the "lucky rabbit's foot" of OSX (i.e. not that rational, but it doesn't do any harm if nothing else works ... a bit like a Windows reboot).

    I've had a look at the Acrobat process with Activity Monitor. It still has at least one active thread looping (I think it is animating the crop box around the last scan preview image, so the process isn't completely frozen). I guess it may be waiting for an event which never happens, or which is lost.

    Sorry, switched into software engineer mode there. Information overload :)

    Phil (the engineer)
    Phil_Harman@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    It could be that there are bits and pieces of the old scanning
    software in there. See if there are instructions for manually
    uninstalling all of the old and new scanning software.

    You might also try to scan in a new user to see if the problem relates
    to a preference issue.

    Mike
    MikeKazlow@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast