Professional Web Applications Themes

scheduled update of database - ASP Database

Hi, I am using MS Access as database. I need to update the table on the 1st day of every quarter. Is there anyway to achieve ASP or MSAccess. or should I have to make my script as a scheduled job of my OS Regards, Vasanth...

  1. #1

    Default scheduled update of database

    Hi,

    I am using MS Access as database. I need to update the table on the 1st
    day of every quarter. Is there anyway to achieve ASP or MSAccess.

    or should I have to make my script as a scheduled job of my OS

    Regards,
    Vasanth

    vasanth kumar Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: scheduled update of database

    vasanth kumar wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using MS Access as database. I need to update the table on
    > the 1st day of every quarter. Is there anyway to achieve ASP or
    > MSAccess.
    >
    > or should I have to make my script as a scheduled job of my OS

    I vote for the latter. This should not be done with ASP. You can create a
    macro in your Access database and use the appropriate command-line switch in
    a scheduled job to start Access, open the database and run the macro. Post
    to an Access newsgroup for details if you can't figure it out from Access
    online help.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    is there anything better than a macro.
    antivirus does not let run macros. i don't have permissions to override this
    behavior.
    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
    > vasanth kumar wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am using MS Access as database. I need to update the table on
    > > the 1st day of every quarter. Is there anyway to achieve ASP or
    > > MSAccess.
    > >
    > > or should I have to make my script as a scheduled job of my OS
    > >
    > I vote for the latter. This should not be done with ASP. You can create a
    > macro in your Access database and use the appropriate command-line switch
    in
    > a scheduled job to start Access, open the database and run the macro. Post
    > to an Access newsgroup for details if you can't figure it out from Access
    > online help.
    >
    > Bob Barrows
    >
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    > "NO SPAM"

    vasanth kumar Guest

  4. #4

    this command line is opening Access database. i don't want to launch Access
    Application. I want it to happen in the background.

    -Vasanth
    "vasanth kumar" <vasanth.kumareds.com> wrote in message
    > is there anything better than a macro.
    > antivirus does not let run macros. i don't have permissions to override
    this
    > behavior.
    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
    > > vasanth kumar wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I am using MS Access as database. I need to update the table on
    > > > the 1st day of every quarter. Is there anyway to achieve ASP or
    > > > MSAccess.
    > > >
    > > > or should I have to make my script as a scheduled job of my OS
    > > >
    > > I vote for the latter. This should not be done with ASP. You can create
    > > macro in your Access database and use the appropriate command-line
    switch
    > in
    > > a scheduled job to start Access, open the database and run the macro.
    Post
    > > to an Access newsgroup for details if you can't figure it out from
    Access
    > > online help.
    > >
    > > Bob Barrows
    > >
    > > --
    > > Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    > > Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
    > > don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
    > > "NO SPAM"

    vasanth kumar Guest

  5. #5

    I don't understand your objection: as a scheduled task on a server, the
    execution will be invisible to users, in effect "in the background". Simply
    have your macro close Access when it completes. I was not aware of any
    antivirus program that would prevent an Access macro from running.

    Your alternatives are:
    a. Create a VB application that does your update and use the OS scheduler to
    launch it.
    b. Create a vbs file to do the update and use the OS scheduler to run it.
    See [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2143[/url]

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows

    --