Professional Web Applications Themes

SCO 5.0.5/5.0.6 bios clock, time zone and synching - SCO

Hi All, Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC? Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not UTC. The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong. I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the local time is. This does not seem to be the case for me. On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS ...

  1. #1

    Default SCO 5.0.5/5.0.6 bios clock, time zone and synching

    Hi All,

    Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC?

    Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at
    the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not
    UTC.
    The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong.

    I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be
    set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the
    local time is.
    This does not seem to be the case for me.
    On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS clock to UTC, set the correct
    timezone in scoadmin but the date command in a root shell still gives
    the wrong time.

    Either the timezone information in scoadmin for my timezone is wrong
    and I need to set up an unlisted timezone (which I can do easily
    enough) or im missing something more fundamental here.

    Anyone care to wield a clue-bat?

    cheers
    John Smith Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SCO 5.0.5/5.0.6 bios clock, time zone and synching

    John Smith wrote:
    > Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC?
    >
    > Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at
    > the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not
    > UTC.
    > The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong.
    >
    > I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be
    > set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the
    > local time is.
    > This does not seem to be the case for me.
    > On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS clock to UTC, set the correct
    > timezone in scoadmin but the date command in a root shell still gives
    > the wrong time.
    >
    > Either the timezone information in scoadmin for my timezone is wrong
    > and I need to set up an unlisted timezone (which I can do easily
    > enough) or im missing something more fundamental here.
    >
    > Anyone care to wield a clue-bat?
    Yes: you left out all numeric values. You say the timezone was wrong
    with the BIOS clock set to localtime, and it was wrong with the BIOS
    clock set to UTC. So OK, it's always wrong -- by what offset? Show
    actual examples (and don't make them up, capture real values from actual
    problematic systems).

    I think in 506 it actually tries to tell whether the BIOS is in UTC or
    localtime. Earlier releases probably did always expect UTC.

    Regardless of the BIOS, once Unix is up and running, it keeps UTC time
    internally. Anything that asks "what time is it?", whether in the
    kernel or a user program, gets its answer in UTC. User processes have
    by convention an environment variable, $TZ, that tells them what the
    _user_ expects to see. Two users logged into the same system, ssh'd
    from Poland and Tonga, will have set their $TZ differently. As long as
    the kernel's UTC reference time is correct, when those users ask to see
    a time, it will be correct for their local timezone.

    Your statement "The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong." is
    especially unclear. SCOAdmin has many tentacles; tell exactly what
    you've invoked. Is it `scoadmin system time manager`? Then, how is it
    wrong? It pretty much just does what you tell it to do. If you specify
    a timezone in that scoadmin module, that's the timezone you should get
    by default on subsequent logins. It writes the setting into
    /etc/TIMEZONE, which is processed by user login scripts; this sets the
    system-wide default timezone, used by daemons and by users who don't
    explicitly override it.
    >Bela<
    Bela Lubkin Guest

  3. #3

    John Smith wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC?
    >
    > Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at
    > the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not
    > UTC.
    > The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong.
    >
    > I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be
    > set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the
    > local time is.
    > This does not seem to be the case for me.
    > On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS clock to UTC, set the correct
    > timezone in scoadmin but the date command in a root shell still gives
    > the wrong time.
    >
    > Either the timezone information in scoadmin for my timezone is wrong
    > and I need to set up an unlisted timezone (which I can do easily
    > enough) or im missing something more fundamental here.
    >
    > Anyone care to wield a clue-bat?
    >
    > cheers
    Some interesting background on PC BIOS RTC.

    [url]http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html[/url]

    Mike

    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group
    Mike Brown Guest

  4. #4

    In article <8512fc7a.0307292304.70bfe523posting.google.com >,
    John Smith <atartshotmail.com> wrote:
    >Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC?
    No. All versions of SCO OpenServer and the OSes that led up to it (including
    all versions of SCO XENIX) expect the RTC (what you're calling the BIOS clock)
    to be set to the time in the local timezone. This practice has some
    unfortunate aspects to it; it was selected despite that because we expect
    administrators to set the RTC to the current local time using the BIOS, since
    that's what they do for other OSes.
    >Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at
    >the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not
    >UTC.
    >The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong.
    >
    >I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be
    >set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the
    >local time is.
    No. The OS itself keeps time in UTC. The timezone information is used to
    convert from that to local time, but it is *also* used in an inverse sense to
    convert the time as read from the RTC into UTC so that the OS clock can be
    synchronized to it.
    >This does not seem to be the case for me.
    >On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS clock to UTC, set the correct
    >timezone in scoadmin but the date command in a root shell still gives
    >the wrong time.
    This fails because the OS is assuming that the RTC is set to local time, so
    when it applies the timezone information to it to get UTC it produces an
    incorrect result.

    As of 5.0.7, the information that is actually used to convert between RTC time
    and UTC is cached in the file /etc/rtc.data. It's stored there when the RTC is
    set and is pushed down into the kernel at boot time to allow conversion from
    RTC time to UTC. This avoids a problem with machines that are down during a
    DST transition, and problems that occur when the timezone is changed. You
    shouldn't go modifying that file since it's maintained automatically by setclk.

    It might be useful to provide a means for a system administrator to specify the
    RTC/UTC delta instead of locking this to TZ, mainly to allow the RTC to be set
    to UTC for those systems that are administrated in such a way that there is no
    danger of an admin setting the RTC to local time through the BIOS.

    John
    --
    John DuBois [email]spcecdtarmory.com[/email] KC6QKZ/AE [url]http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/[/url]
    John DuBois Guest

  5. #5

    Bela Lubkin <belalsco.com> wrote in message news:<20030730080625.GO24551sco.com>...

    > Yes: you left out all numeric values. You say the timezone was wrong
    > with the BIOS clock set to localtime, and it was wrong with the BIOS
    > clock set to UTC. So OK, it's always wrong -- by what offset? Show
    > actual examples (and don't make them up, capture real values from actual
    > problematic systems).
    I really should have indicated in my original post that im just
    looking for some pointers on do's/don'ts for for SCO and clock
    settings etc.
    Im not going to get drastically specific yet until ive completed my
    testing here.
    When I have all the specific numbers/values etc i'll post them here.
    Should be later today.

    cheers
    John Smith Guest

  6. #6

    "John DuBois" <spcecdtdeeptht.armory.com> wrote in message
    news:3f283a29$0$1095$8eec23anewsreader.tycho.net. ..
    > In article <8512fc7a.0307292304.70bfe523posting.google.com >,
    > John Smith <atartshotmail.com> wrote:
    > >Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC?
    >
    > No. All versions of SCO OpenServer and the OSes that led up to it
    (including
    > all versions of SCO XENIX) expect the RTC (what you're calling the BIOS
    clock)
    > to be set to the time in the local timezone. This practice has some
    > unfortunate aspects to it; it was selected despite that because we expect
    > administrators to set the RTC to the current local time using the BIOS,
    since
    > that's what they do for other OSes.
    Okay, I set the RTC to localtime, set up the local timezone correct using
    'tz' so I could put in the DST info etc.
    All good. Clocks are correct and when NTP polls our time server it gets the
    right time.

    Happy Happy Joy Joy.

    Tomorrow i'll test the DST change overs and see if they work as they should.

    Thanks for everyones help on this one.

    John Smith Guest