Professional Web Applications Themes

SCO drop loyal resellers... - SCO

The latest episode in SCO's ongoing battle to prove itself the most vile, greedy, disgusting company on Earth is enough to shock even the most ardent Darl McBride fanboyd. Witness their shameful treament of a loyal reseller reported today at TheRegister (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/51/33244.html). Other resellers might reflect on the wisdom of selling the products of this sbag outfit that can and will ruin a reseller at a whim... Begin article:--- SCO has won a court case against its Dutch distributor Dupaco. And it's got nothing to do with Linux. SCO, the company now best-known for its crusade against IBM and other ...

  1. #1

    Default SCO drop loyal resellers...

    The latest episode in SCO's ongoing battle to prove itself the most
    vile, greedy, disgusting company on Earth is enough to shock even the
    most ardent Darl McBride fanboyd. Witness their shameful treament of a
    loyal reseller reported today at TheRegister
    (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/51/33244.html).

    Other resellers might reflect on the wisdom of selling the products of
    this sbag outfit that can and will ruin a reseller at a whim...

    Begin article:---

    SCO has won a court case against its Dutch distributor Dupaco. And
    it's got nothing to do with Linux.

    SCO, the company now best-known for its crusade against IBM and other
    companies over Linux patent issues, recently terminated its 18 year
    relationship with Dupaco, preferring a European franchise model.

    Dupaco became a distributor of SCO Xenix as early as 1986. CEO and
    co-founder Erik Monninkhof told LinuxWorld recently that he attended
    every SCO Forum since then, and has turned down offers from other
    vendors to sell their UNIX distributions in addition to the SCO line.
    Dupaco has built a multi-million dollar revenue stream out of the SCO
    offerings.

    Naturally, Monninkhof wasn’t pleased when SCO informed him that in 30
    days the distribution contract would be terminated and that he could
    only remain as a zero-margin reseller. Country managers in Europe are
    offered exclusive franchise arrangements.

    Monninkhof tried to reason with SCO, but didn’t succeed. At first SCO
    agreed to talk, so Monninkhof flew to SCO's headquarters in Utah, but
    learned that there was no-one to meet him and that visitors were not
    allowed in the building. Security then escorted Monninkhof off the
    premises. He was also given a letter indicating that his company was
    no longer welcome at SCO Forum.

    A judge in Breda today ruled that the contract Dupaco had with SCO
    specified a lawful 30 day notice for termination. Monnikhof had hoped
    that the length and nature of the business relationship would be taken
    into consideration. Dupaco wanted €200,000 in damages.

    Despite the setback, Dupaco is not in trouble: SCO accounts only
    around five per cent of total revenue. Elbert Vlastuin will now be
    SCO’s Regional Manager for the Benelux. ®

    End article:---

    Nice to see McBride and his mob have run out of other companies to
    offend, so they're now canibalising their own (misguided) supporters.
    One wonders how long it will be before SCO begin threatening their own
    customers with "kneecappings" and "concrete overcoats" if they don't
    stump up protection money...

    --
    FyRE < "War: The way Americans learn geography" >
    FyRE Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SCO drop loyal resellers...

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, FyRE wrote:

    I am definitely not A Darl McBride/SCO managment fan. I am a fan of the
    hardworking engineers still working at SCO. I do support them and hope
    that the managment words of new features and stuff are not just lipe
    service.

    I was really hoping SCO would loose this one. I hate the way they treated
    this company. I have been watching it closely and so have my clients. I
    was really hoping that they would prevail against SCO on this.

    Just goes to show we do not know how the lawyers and judges are going to
    rule on this issue. Which was the point I was trying to make. I hope
    that this all gets cleared up soon, but probably will not.

    --
    Boyd Gerber <com>

    Boyd Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 15:12:02 -0600, Boyd Lynn Gerber
    <com> wrote:

    >I am definitely not A Darl McBride/SCO managment fan. I am a fan of the
    >hardworking engineers still working at SCO.[/ref]

    I'm sure they'll both be pleased to hear that. It can't be easy for
    them working for a bunch of utter sbags. Personally, I'd like to
    think I have more self respect than to work for such an outfit, no
    matter what they paid me (if nothing else, I'd want to work somewhere
    with better future prospects!)

    Please tell me you're not serious!!? You don't honestly think SCO are
    actually developing anything anymore, do you? Come along, they
    couldn't even be bothered to come up with any interesting promises at
    their last conference; the most interesting "announcement" was their
    intention to bundle Samba 3.x with their outdated OS. This itself is
    dispicable, since they're claiming the GPL is destroying the software
    market, and Samba is distributed as GPL'd software. The Samba team
    themselves have added a statement about this hypocrisy on the front
    page of their site, detailing their utter disgust that a company such
    as SCO are using their work. I just hope the next version of Samba is
    distributed deliberately broken for SCO platforms (this goes for all
    GPL'd code, including gcc etc).

    [...]

    >I was really hoping SCO would loose this one. I hate the way they treated
    >this company. I have been watching it closely and so have my clients. I
    >was really hoping that they would prevail against SCO on this.[/ref]

    Well, I think most people would, however SCO is a company of lawyers,
    and so the little guy didn't have much chance really. At least it's a
    good warning sign for other resellers...

    Since a plaintive has an OBLIGATION to mitigate damages by trying to
    prevent violations of (in this case) copyrighted/patented work, and
    SCO have so far refused to do this; as well as providing no evidence
    of violations, holding media audiences and spouting outright lies
    while the execs dump stock like there's no tomorrow, I'm thinking any
    judge will take a dim view of this bunch of utter s. McBride's only
    interest is in pumping the stock price until he can jump ship with his
    golden handshake and nice bonus in his back pocket. There can be no
    other reason, since by their actions, SCO obviously have no interest
    in customers. Anyone buying SCO today would be a complete idiot. And
    anyone selling SCO is a fraudster (how else could you sell it???).

    Yesterday, SGI, who licence SYSV code released a statement about their
    own findings when comparing Linux kernel code to SYSV. Apparently any
    similarities are "trivial" (by this we assume comments, and generic
    pieces of code). The code SCO accuse SGI of adding to linux, and
    violating their contract was apparently released into the public
    domain some considerable time back.

    Oh, I'm sure SCO will get cleared up. Just as soon as someone comes
    along with a big enough hose to wash this human waste back down into
    the sewers where they belong.

  4. #4

    FyRE wrote:

    >>I am definitely not A Darl McBride/SCO managment fan. I am a fan of the
    >>hardworking engineers still working at SCO.[/ref]
    >

    > I'm sure they'll both be pleased to hear that. It can't be easy for
    > them working for a bunch of utter sbags. Personally, I'd like to
    > think I have more self respect than to work for such an outfit, no
    > matter what they paid me (if nothing else, I'd want to work somewhere
    > with better future prospects!)[/ref]

    That was exactly two to many rants from you FyRe - i'm a linux advocate,
    opensource contributer, and am helping my company steer away from SCO
    (btw. not because of the lawsuit - but because we're severely stunted in
    our possibilities on the OpenServer platform).

    While i agree with you to some extent - this is simply not a civil way
    of getting your point over - _are_ you really so interested in bringing
    so much animosity towards your arguments - that you willfully make
    people associate your rants with Linux/OpenSource ?

    People here have reasons to run SCO, they are probably neither
    proponents or opponents in this - they are simply administrators/users
    who for some reason or other still run SCO (and in many cases probably
    locked into it - or it runs so well doing whatever task it may handle -
    that there simply isn't any economic incentive to exchange it with
    another OS (prolly as in our case - not even if your most dire wishes
    come through and SCO goes bankrupt and will no longer be supported).

    I'm not going to add you to my killfilter, because i really want to see
    how you are going to react to this.

    --
    Med Venlig Hilsen / Regards

    Kim Petersen - Kyborg A/S (Udvikling)
    IT - Innovationshuset
    Havneparken 2
    7100 Vejle
    Tlf. +4576408183 || Fax. +4576408188

    Kim Guest

  5. #5

    Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

    You are a real piece of work Boyd-Brain.

    I know exactly how the SCO vs The World is going to work just like I knew
    how the SCO contract dispute was going to turn out - the distributer
    contract clearly stated 30 days notice.

    You use your ignorance like a shield to spare you from having to think.

    SCO is going to crash and burn - it's case against IBM is totally without
    merit. It's accusations against the Linux community is totally without
    merit.

    Your continued flacid SCO support is just prolonging the inevitable for your
    clients.

    Brian

    Brian Guest

  6. #6

    FyRE <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote:

    Yes, they are. I know that because I just spoke with one of their
    developers last week. He called me to ask my opinion on some
    features he is working on.

    Maybe he should have called you.. :-)

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  7. #7

    com wrote: [/ref]

    What features?

    Brian
    Brian Guest

  8. #8

    FyRE <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote in message news:<com>...

    Sigh. I already debunked this ridiculous claim in a previous thread,
    complete with URLs to presentations made at the conference.

    "FyRE" and his ilk belong on one of those political discussion
    web sites where people make the same heated arguments over and over,
    ranting and frothing more each time around, never once modifying
    their arguments to acknowledge facts that don't fit their theory
    or model. Come on "FyRE", you can do better!

    Jonathan Schilling
    J. Guest

  9. #9

    Brian <com> wrote in message news:<QTrgb.35407$6C4.3699pd7tw1no>...

    > You are a real piece of work Boyd-Brain.
    >
    > I know exactly how the SCO vs The World is going to work just like I knew
    > how the SCO contract dispute was going to turn out - the distributer
    > contract clearly stated 30 days notice.
    >
    > You use your ignorance like a shield to spare you from having to think.

    > SCO is going to crash and burn - it's case against IBM is totally without
    > merit. It's accusations against the Linux community is totally without
    > merit.
    >
    > Your continued flacid SCO support is just prolonging the inevitable for your
    > clients.
    >
    > Brian[/ref]

    Ugh.

    I wish you would more fully express your
    ignorance/attitude/youth/etc... by also being one of those people that
    hides behind an anonymous handle.

    I dislike seeing what looks like my name on posts of such flatulous
    texture.

    What kind of a person gets his kicks hanging out in a forum on a given
    topic, only to express derision for that topic? Aren't there plenty of
    l33t hx0r groups where bashing sco or bashing anything but linux is
    actually welcome and appreciated? What, you don't have the stones to
    think up good enough digs to run in that crowd?

    Surely you cannot think you are telling anyone here anything they
    don't already know? Which leaves only the tiresome motives of the
    typical troll as the only likely explanation for why you are here. Who
    do you imagine that hangs in this group that doesn't know the exact
    nature of a troll and the exact worth of a troll's opinion?

    I'm actually not telling you to go away. I'm challenging you to
    explain yourself and justify your existence. I say you are pointless.
    Do you feel pointless? Do you accept being perceived as pointless? Do
    you actually think you are adding to the world? Is that even a value
    you aspire to? I can work up at least some respect for someone who
    honestly thinks they are doing something productive no matter how
    misguided and backwards their actual actions are.

    Brian K. White -- com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    filePro BBx Linux SCO Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD #callahans Satriani
    Brian Guest

  10. #10

    Brian <com> wrote: [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    Sorry. While I wasn't specifically asked not to discuss it, I wouldn't
    feel confortable talking out of school. Nothing particularly interesting,
    anyway, quite dull, but just the same..

  11. #11

    On 7 Oct 2003, J. L. Schilling wrote:

    > Sigh. I already debunked this ridiculous claim in a previous thread,
    > complete with URLs to presentations made at the conference.
    >[/ref]

    According to someone at the "city-to-city" tour, SCO is adding such
    groundbreaking features as PAM, NFS-over-tcp, NTPv4, >2GB files.

    I wonder when such features will be added to Linux or Solaris... oh
    wait....

    Care to mention some specific features that SCO is adding that aren't just
    catch-up with other OS-es or a port of some open source tool?

    Whoever Guest

  12. #12

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:29:42 +0100, FyRE <demon.ku.oc.x>
    wrote:

    I researched this issue. There's no legal obligation on the part of
    the plaintiff to do anything. However, in order to obtain damages in
    their favor, the plaintiff is expected to make some effort to protect
    their interests. It's quite possible for the court to rule in favor
    of SCO, but to assess zero damages based upon SCO being somewhat
    contributory. If there is any disclosure required by the court as
    part of the discovery process, it will be so ordered.

    Umm... we've been here before. Don't you read my replies? See:
    http://finance./q/it?s=SCOX
    I don't see much any massive insider trading. I do see directors
    exercising options and then selling some stock to cover the cost of
    the stock. That's fairly common practice. The closest approximation
    to dumping is one individual, Michael P. Olsen, who owns 48,000 shares
    and is apparently systematically unloading them. Michael Wilson seems
    to have unloaded all his shares.
    http://finance./q/ir?s=scox
    Meanwhile, the institutional investors have far more stock and are
    buying to the tune of 2 million shares this last quarter, not dumping.
    http://finance./q/mh?s=SCOX
    http://finance./q/it?s=SCOX

    Where is your evidence of "execs dump(ing) stock"?

    # santa-cruz.ca.us
    # 831.421.6491 digital_pager com AE6KS
    Jeff Guest

  13. #13

    Brian K. White wrote: [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]

    I am not ignorant, I DO have some attitude - it comes from 30 years
    experience in international marketing of technology products, my youth is in
    the too distant past and as for "etc", I am sure you will think of
    something to add.

    Ouch! That hurt.

    How about a person that is enraged by the blatant smearing of an amazing
    technological business model by a paid sycophant with aspirations of
    damaging headlines?

    You appear to not like what I have to say - that is too bad!

    Ah.. Playing the Linux hacker card a little early aren't you?

    Since I work and support Linux I must be some renegade DDoSing, code
    stealing, virus writing, living in my momn's basement hacker degenerate.

    Let me tell you something; there is nothing that SCO has in the way of code
    that anyone in the Open Source community would want! It's dead - it just
    hasn't fallen over yet.

    What?

    Am I interrupting any legitimate SCO newsgroup threads? Am I posting on
    threads where people are looking for help?

    No!

    But guess what, I reserve the right to post here on ANY subject that
    discusses the legitimacy of SCO and their lying directors.

    What is your point?

    You first.

    Wow, I have to guess you have some real self-worth issues there Brian W. - I
    hope you get some help with that.

    Best regards,

    Brian
    Linux Registered User #61537

    Brian Guest

  14. #14

    Whoever <none> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.44.0310072004130.7680-100000c941211-a>...

    > > Sigh. I already debunked this ridiculous claim in a previous thread,
    > > complete with URLs to presentations made at the conference.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > According to someone at the "city-to-city" tour, SCO is adding such
    > groundbreaking features as PAM, NFS-over-tcp, NTPv4, >2GB files.
    >
    > I wonder when such features will be added to Linux or Solaris... oh
    > wait....
    >
    > Care to mention some specific features that SCO is adding that aren't just
    > catch-up with other OS-es or a port of some open source tool?[/ref]

    So, SCO gets criticized both for having an "outdated OS" *and* for
    working on implementating features that will bring it up-to-date?
    "FyRE" and "Whoever", you make a great (masked) tag team!

    If you want to see some leading-edge stuff that SCO is working on,
    look at the SCOx presentations at http://www.sco.com/2003forum/ppt.html.

    Jonathan Schilling
    J. Guest

  15. #15

    J. L. Schilling <com> wrote:

    Such as "How to Use the GNU Toolkits and UDK on SCO UNIX Platforms"?

    --
    Geoff Lane
    Good programs don't just happen.

  16. #16

    On 8 Oct 2003, J. L. Schilling wrote:

    > > According to someone at the "city-to-city" tour, SCO is adding such
    > > groundbreaking features as PAM, NFS-over-tcp, NTPv4, >2GB files.
    > >
    > > I wonder when such features will be added to Linux or Solaris... oh
    > > wait....
    > >
    > > Care to mention some specific features that SCO is adding that aren't just
    > > catch-up with other OS-es or a port of some open source tool?[/ref]
    >
    > So, SCO gets criticized both for having an "outdated OS" *and* for
    > working on implementating features that will bring it up-to-date?
    > "FyRE" and "Whoever", you make a great (masked) tag team!
    >
    > If you want to see some leading-edge stuff that SCO is working on,
    > look at the SCOx presentations at http://www.sco.com/2003forum/ppt.html.
    >[/ref]

    I looked at it. Firstly "optimised for Internet Explorer"? I thought SCO
    was a UNIX company!

  17. #17

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:33:02 +0000 (UTC), com wrote:

    >Yes, they are. I know that because I just spoke with one of their
    >developers last week. He called me to ask my opinion on some
    >features he is working on.
    >
    >Maybe he should have called you.. :-)[/ref]

    He did; however I decided not to sign the NDA...

  18. #18

    On 7 Oct 2003 08:49:37 -0700, com (J. L.
    Schilling) wrote:

    >Sigh. I already debunked this ridiculous claim in a previous thread,
    >complete with URLs to presentations made at the conference.[/ref]

    Schilling, you're starting to sound as bad as McBride. A few terse
    sentences with no facts, figures or code to back them up hardly
    qualifies as evidence to debunk my claims. The biggest "features"
    apart from including yet more GPL code (which they claim is killing
    the software industry, BTW) are components that have been included in
    Linux software for a fair few years now. PAM?! Come on!

    One thing I will concede is that the SCO resellers must have skin as
    thick as rhinos. They are the "seal clubbers" of the software world -
    despised by the entire open source community, shunned by customers and
    ignored (or shafted) by the supplier (SCO). Yet still they plod along,
    peddling this inferior, badly outdated, and overpriced ancient version
    of UNIX to anyone clueless enough to keep buying it. Actually this
    must go for the tiny team of remaining "developers" working on new
    features (if anyone believes Bela the only SCO developer I've ever
    seen here or anywhere, maybe he's the only one left?)

  19. #19

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:05:45 +0100, FyRE <demon.ku.oc.x>
    wrote:

    See: news:comp.unix.sco.programmer for where you will find
    additional developers.

  20. #20

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:44:33 GMT,
    Jeff Liebermann <santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >See: news:comp.unix.sco.programmer for where you will find
    >additional developers.[/ref]

    Actually, looking on the past two week's postings on that group does not
    show anyone other than Bela (and perhaps J. L. Schilling) who is
    conclusively, or even likely to be an SCO employee.

    Joe Guest

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast