Professional Web Applications Themes

SCO emulator for Linux - SCO

We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft) have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server. We do not control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the indefinite future. Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ? -- bill Technical Service Systems bill (atsign) TechServSys (period) com unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends...

  1. #1

    Default SCO emulator for Linux

    --
    bill
    Technical Service Systems
    bill (atsign) TechServSys (period) com

    unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

    bill Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SCO emulator for Linux

    bill wrote:

    Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
    "Binary emulation of other systems" category:

    SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
    UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
    iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
    SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
    Kernel support for COFF binaries
    Kernel support for x.out binaries

    I've never tried any of this. I read about it once, years ago, and I
    vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
    which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
    something like that.

    As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
    thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues. Here are a few
    links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:

    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html
    Steve Guest

  3. #3

    bill <net> wrote in message news:<supernews.com>...

    Can you explain why they would run an application on an unsupported
    (by ap vendor) os that they don't know will work rather than a
    supported os (again by ap vendor) that they know works and will work
    in the forseeable future even if the os vendor fails to support it?
    Long term the ap vendor will port or risk having no place to run in
    the future.
    The port may however not be to Linux.
    After they port dump SCO.
    We ported our ap from SCO to Linux a couple of years ago for cost
    reasons. It now looks like we were clairvoyant. We are however
    advising clients running on
    SCO boxes which meet current needs to stay put till there is a
    performance or functional reason to change.
    IMHO to do otherwise would be FUD.
    Regards...dan
    JDanSkinner.com
    Dan Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 13:10:34 -0700, Dan Skinner wrote:

    As in *BSD? How many proprietary apps have native BSD binaries?

    --
    <knghtbrd> eek, not another one...
    <knghtbrd> Seems ever developer and their mother now has a random

    Samuel Guest

  5. #5

    Dan Skinner wrote:

    > Can you explain why they would run an application on an unsupported
    > (by ap vendor) os that they don't know will work rather than a
    > supported os (again by ap vendor) that they know works and will work
    > in the forseeable future even if the os vendor fails to support it?
    > Long term the ap vendor will port or risk having no place to run in
    > the future.[/ref]

    Sure, they/we are looking 2 years into the future. I have a hard time
    recommending an OS that might be unsupported and not upgradable to new
    hardware. Cost is a strong 2nd reason.

    The app vendor has win support only from now on. I would rather run
    under Linux emulation than win !

  6. #6

    Default Re: SCO emulator for Linux: any experience ?

    Steve Kirkendall wrote:

    > Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
    > "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
    >
    > SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
    > UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
    > iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
    > SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
    > Kernel support for COFF binaries
    > Kernel support for x.out binaries
    >
    > I've never tried any of this. I read about it once, years ago, and I
    > vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
    > which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
    > something like that.
    >
    > As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
    > thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues. Here are a few
    > links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
    >
    > http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
    > http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
    > http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
    > http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html[/ref]

    Thank you !

    Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?

  7. #7

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:16:39 -0400, bill <net> wrote:

    Actually it's quite simple to emulate a SCO OS using Linux:

    1) Download archived kernel source (the latter 2.0.x kernels should
    suffice)

    2) Build the kernel with the absolute bare minimum of drivers - only
    network cards and SCSI adaptors from over 5 years ago. No graphics
    drivers at all.

    3) Reboot!

    4) Withdraw a few hundred dollars from your bank account, and set fire
    to the bills.

    --
    FyRE < "Ready Cursor" >
    FyRE Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 07:29:19 +0000, bill wrote:

    >> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
    >> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
    >>
    >> SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support UnixWare 7.x
    >> binary emulation support iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
    >> SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support Kernel
    >> support for COFF binaries
    >> Kernel support for x.out binaries
    >>
    >> I've never tried any of this. I read about it once, years ago, and I
    >> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
    >> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
    >> something like that.
    >>
    >> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
    >> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues. Here are a few links
    >> that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
    >> http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
    >> http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
    >> http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html[/ref]
    >
    > Thank you !
    >
    > Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?[/ref]

    Actually Caldera at one time was going down this path and we explored it.
    It may have been called iBCS, I can't remember. I think it was dropped
    because they had to include the SCO libaries or someting but there was an
    entry into SourceForge at the time. Ancient history now and if your app
    vendor can't recompile (we do have a new C compiler out now), my view is
    you get a new application. We have been running production on Linux for
    almost four years.........and we do ERP, Distro, Accounting and CRM. We
    have competitors so the old mantra about no apps is bunko.....fdr

    FDR Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dan Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    I used IBCS successfully on Caldera eServer2.3 and successfully ran a legacy
    application that ran in XENIX and OSR5.

    But when the kernal upgrade took place in Caldera3.1.1 I couldnt get IBCS to
    work.

    Perhaps someone in this group might be able to enlighten me as well.

    "Steve Kirkendall" <net> wrote in message

    > Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
    > "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
    >
    > SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
    > UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
    > iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
    > SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
    > Kernel support for COFF binaries
    > Kernel support for x.out binaries
    >
    > I've never tried any of this. I read about it once, years ago, and I
    > vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
    > which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
    > something like that.
    >
    > As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
    > thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues. Here are a few
    > links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
    >
    > http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
    > http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
    > http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
    > http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html[/ref]

    David Guest

  11. #11

    bill wrote:

    I've had mixed experiences.

    A good starting point is the ABI project, see :-

    http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/

    Basically "simple" binaries seem to work just fine - anything that talks
    to hardware directly seems to run into problems (for example I've had
    no luck in getting a comms module we've written to work; recompiling it
    on Linux directly works fine).

    There are unofficial versions of ABI available for newer Linux kernels,
    I've got things running just fine here on a 2.4.20 version.

    I'd definitely recommend once you get things working though to compile
    what you need into the Linux kernel - if only so you don't forget to
    load the modules :-) ... the amount of time our production machine
    has failed!!

    What do you want to run under Linux?

    Cheers,

    Stuart.

    --
    More To Life Than This - www.mike.com

    Stuart Guest

  12. #12

    "Stuart Marshall" <co.uk> wrote in message
    news:3f5bade1$0$243$dial.pipex.com... [/ref]

    We use RH8 (no errata loaded, the newer errata kernels break ABI), and have
    very few issues with SCO binaries (statically linked) under Linux.

    Steer away from Microsoft a.out binaries however, as they will not work.

    Just need to make sure that the modules are inserted (as Stuart said). You
    should be able to get away with just these two lines:

    modprobe binfmt_coff
    modprobe abi-sco

    The rest should happen automatically.

    bkx

    Stuart Guest

  13. #13

    "bill" <net> wrote in message

    While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know the
    status of it today. I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the SCO
    Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing agreement
    and stealing their IP. While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
    frown on theft.

    By the way, IBM was the original FUD distributor in the computer industry
    and continues to be a leader in this field to this day.

    --
    Jim Sullivan

    Jim Guest

  14. #14

    "Jim Sullivan" <net> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]

    the
    SCO
    agreement

    iBCS and iBCS2 are both depricated. linux-abi is the current project.

    Stuart Guest

  15. #15

    FyRE wrote:

    > Actually it's quite simple to emulate a SCO OS using Linux:
    >
    > 1) Download archived kernel source (the latter 2.0.x kernels should
    > suffice)
    >
    > 2) Build the kernel with the absolute bare minimum of drivers - only
    > network cards and SCSI adaptors from over 5 years ago. No graphics
    > drivers at all.
    >
    > 3) Reboot!
    >
    > 4) Withdraw a few hundred dollars from your bank account, and set fire
    > to the bills.
    >[/ref]
    I love it, do you think I could skip step 4 and just take my wife out
    for a really expensive dinner instead ?

  16. #16

    Jim Sullivan wrote:

    It is (as pr. SCO's own licenses - *not* theft to take the shared
    libraries from your old Unix (as long as its been shredded ;-)).
    Alternatively you can buy a license for the shared libraries seperately
    (afaik). So if you move from SCO to Linux - you should setup ABI and
    copy the shared libs (just in case some app or other isn't supported on
    your new OS.)

    Kim Guest

  17. #17

    "Jim Sullivan" <net> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know the
    > status of it today. I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the SCO
    > Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing agreement
    > and stealing their IP. While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
    > frown on theft.
    >
    > By the way, IBM was the original FUD distributor in the computer industry
    > and continues to be a leader in this field to this day.[/ref]

    True enough. In the 60's and 70's an MIS manager couldn't get fired by
    going
    IBM. In the 90's and 00's the IT manager is safe with Microsoft.
    Neither are/were real technological leaders but were safe and not
    hesitant to tell the person with the checkbook how safe they are/were.
    Now, running SCO emulation on Linux in order to support a Windows only
    application. That just might get someone fired.
    Regards...Dan.

    Regards...Dan.
    Dan Guest

  18. #18

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 07:29:19 -0400, bill <net> wrote:

    >> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
    >> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
    >>
    >> SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
    >> UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
    >> iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
    >> SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
    >> Kernel support for COFF binaries
    >> Kernel support for x.out binaries
    >>
    >> I've never tried any of this. I read about it once, years ago, and I
    >> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
    >> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
    >> something like that.
    >>
    >> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
    >> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues. Here are a few
    >> links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
    >> http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
    >> http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
    >> http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html[/ref]
    >
    >Thank you !
    >
    >Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?[/ref]

    ABI for Linux so that you can run SCO binaries
    http://linux-abi.sf.net

    /etc/init.d ABI script
    http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=10145&group_id=13130

    Works well with RH 8 out of the box. I heard they broke ABI on some
    kernel updates, so be careful applying the kernel updates.

    brian
    Brian Guest

  19. #19

    bill <net> wrote:

    Some years ago (before Informix provided Linux binaries) I ran Informix
    Online 5 (+ ISQL + STAR) without any troubles (but I didn't managed it
    to make I4GL work.). That was with kernels from the 1.2 and 2.0 series,
    I never tried the SCO emulation with newer kernels.

    Walter
    Walter Guest

  20. #20

    Brian Lavender wrote:

    They certainly did; IIRC (and its been a while) the one shipped with
    RH8 is fine, but all of the subsequent kernel updates from RH had
    ABI broken - and then they pulled it from RH9 completely (still
    don't know why - maybe the SCO lawsuit contributed?!).

    However, there are patches for 2.4.20 (and 21 though I've got tried
    this yet) from http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/patches/

    These need to be patched onto a vanilla kernel though, rather than
    the RH supplied one -- what the differences are I'm not sure...

    I prefer a cleaner kernel anyway - and I've had 2.4.20 running
    perfectly with ABI for a few months now.

    Regards,

    Stuart.

    Stuart Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast