Professional Web Applications Themes

Sco-List Posts: What's the Deal? - SCO

Since subscribing to this newsgroup, I've seen a handful of posts with the subject header starting "re: sco-list". I'm curious as to whether this is an entirely separate list or is the mailing list counterpart of the group <I've read over the FAQ at <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sco/newsgroups-faq/>, but I was more confused after reading it than I was before. (BTW, is that where the "canonical" version of the FAQ is located?) Is this "sco-list" separate from comp.unix.sco.misc and not part of a dual-gated list-to-newsgroup system? If it's not a separate list, are there any SCO-related lists that are? That part of the ...

  1. #1

    Default Sco-List Posts: What's the Deal?

    Since subscribing to this newsgroup, I've seen a handful of posts with the
    subject header starting "re: sco-list". I'm curious as to whether this is
    an entirely separate list or is the mailing list counterpart of the group
    <I've read over the FAQ at <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sco/newsgroups-faq/>,
    but I was more confused after reading it than I was before. (BTW, is that
    where the "canonical" version of the FAQ is located?)

    Is this "sco-list" separate from comp.unix.sco.misc and not part of a
    dual-gated list-to-newsgroup system? If it's not a separate list, are
    there any SCO-related lists that are? That part of the FAQ wasn't clear to
    me.

    I'm Mike--James' Dad, hence "JamesDad". I use this nym in memory of my
    son James Webb (1992-2000) who died fighting leukemia. He was a greater
    man at 8 than some ever become. May his life, battle and story never be
    forgotten! More info at <http://www.themiraclekids.com/mem-james.htm>.
    JamesDad Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sco-List Posts: What's the Deal?

    JamesDad typed (on Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 08:23:37PM +0000):
    | Since subscribing to this newsgroup, I've seen a handful of posts with the
    | subject header starting "re: sco-list". I'm curious as to whether this is
    | an entirely separate list or is the mailing list counterpart of the group
    | <I've read over the FAQ at <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sco/newsgroups-faq/>,
    | but I was more confused after reading it than I was before. (BTW, is that
    | where the "canonical" version of the FAQ is located?)

    Ed Hew maintains that FAQ; the version you're reading is from February;
    it used to go out every two months; there have been no changes to this
    doent since February, and the evidence in my news spool is that Ed's
    robots haven't posted it since then. He'll prove me wrong if I am
    wrong. :-)

    | Is this "sco-list" separate from comp.unix.sco.misc and not part of a
    | dual-gated list-to-newsgroup system? If it's not a separate list, are
    | there any SCO-related lists that are? That part of the FAQ wasn't clear to
    | me.

    Ed's machine maintains a newsgroup <=> mailing-list gateway. I've got
    such a gateway running here as well. Neither of us have "sco-list" as
    the name of anything; the oldest message I have here with "Re: sco-list"
    in its Subject is from August. All the subsequent ones are descendants
    in the same thread. I don't know who started it...

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  3. #3

    On 13 Nov 2003 16:18:02 -0500, Jean-Pierre Radley <com> wrote:

    Try refreshing your headers--I don't know if it's our different
    newsservers or what. Two hours ago, Bill Campbell posted a message (which
    from the headers may have come thru the gateway) with the subject line
    "Re: sco-list: Re: A simple opinion of SCO vs. IBM", which is based on a
    thread that started 11/11/03. I just ordered my messages by subject, and
    found seven threads going back through September, with a fair number of
    posts under the subject line "Re: sco-list: Re: SCO drop loyal
    resellers...", which was an October thread.

    Refocusing on my main question; are there any mailing lists or other
    SCO-related forums that are neither on Usenet or gated to it? If so,
    where's the info on how to subscribe? Thanks.

  4. #4

    JamesDad typed (on Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:38:36PM +0000):
    | On 13 Nov 2003 16:18:02 -0500, Jean-Pierre Radley <com> wrote:
    |
    | >JamesDad typed (on Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 08:23:37PM +0000):
    | >| Is this "sco-list" separate from comp.unix.sco.misc and not part of a
    | >| dual-gated list-to-newsgroup system? If it's not a separate list, are
    | >| there any SCO-related lists that are? That part of the FAQ wasn't clear to
    | >| me.
    | >
    | >Ed's machine maintains a newsgroup <=> mailing-list gateway. I've got
    | >such a gateway running here as well. Neither of us have "sco-list" as
    | >the name of anything; the oldest message I have here with "Re: sco-list"
    | >in its Subject is from August. All the subsequent ones are descendants
    | >in the same thread. I don't know who started it...
    |
    | Try refreshing your headers--I don't know if it's our different
    | newsservers or what.

    What does it mean to "refresh headers?"

    And what does my newserver have to do with it? I don't read or post netnews
    directly, I deal with this newsgroup entirely inside of mutt.

    | Two hours ago, Bill Campbell posted a message (which
    | from the headers may have come thru the gateway) with the subject line

    Bill also deals with this newsgroup entirely in email, and his postings
    go through Ed's gateway.

    | "Re: sco-list: Re: A simple opinion of SCO vs. IBM", which is based on a
    | thread that started 11/11/03. I just ordered my messages by subject, and
    | found seven threads going back through September, with a fair number of
    | posts under the subject line "Re: sco-list: Re: SCO drop loyal
    | resellers...", which was an October thread.
    |
    | Refocusing on my main question; are there any mailing lists or other
    | SCO-related forums that are neither on Usenet or gated to it? If so,
    | where's the info on how to subscribe? Thanks.

    I don't know of any.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Sco-List Posts: What's the Deal? Reply-To: scomscxenitec.on.ca

    JamesDad enscribed:
    | On 13 Nov 2003 16:18:02 -0500, Jean-Pierre Radley <com> wrote:
    |
    | >JamesDad typed (on Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 08:23:37PM +0000):
    | >| Is this "sco-list" separate from comp.unix.sco.misc and not part of a
    | >| dual-gated list-to-newsgroup system? If it's not a separate list, are
    | >| there any SCO-related lists that are? That part of the FAQ wasn't clear to
    | >| me.

    <snip>

    | Try refreshing your headers--I don't know if it's our different
    | newsservers or what. Two hours ago, Bill Campbell posted a message (which
    | from the headers may have come thru the gateway) with the subject line
    | "Re: sco-list: Re: A simple opinion of SCO vs. IBM", which is based on a
    | thread that started 11/11/03. I just ordered my messages by subject, and
    | found seven threads going back through September, with a fair number of
    | posts under the subject line "Re: sco-list: Re: SCO drop loyal
    | resellers...", which was an October thread.

    Refresh what headers? That "sco-list" is in the subject line and
    Campbell has been adding it to his posts for the last century or two.
    Tom Parsons com
    Tom Guest

  6. #6

    On 13 Nov 2003 16:59:07 -0500, Jean-Pierre Radley <com> wrote:

    Never mind. It's a newsreader thang. :-)

    Knowing zilch about mutt other than that it's an email client, I presume
    you're reading this via the mailing list side of the gateway. If so, there
    may be a difference between how the subject lines appear there and on the
    Usenet side (which is the side I'm reading this on). We can let that issue
    drop; I raised it as a lead-in to the question below, which you answered.

    Thanks for clarifying that.

  7. #7

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:07:53 GMT, Tom Parsons <com> wrote:

    As I said to Jean-Pierre, never mind. It's a newsreader thang (I'm reading
    from the Usenet side), and my question related to that subject line was my
    lead-in to ask whether it meant that there was a SCO-related list which
    was not being gated to Usenet and if so how would I subscribe. According
    to Jean-Pierre, there isn't, so that's the end of that subject. Thanks for
    replying.

  8. #8

    On Thu, Nov 13, 2003, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    Yup. My internal list adds sco-list to the Subject: line, and I've been
    known to forget to remove it before responding to posts.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    If you want government to intervene domestially, you're a liberal. If you
    want government to intervene overseas, you're a conservative. If you want
    government to intervene everywhere, you're a moderate. If you don't want
    government to intervene anywhare, you're an extermist -- Joseph Sobran
    Bill Guest

  9. #9

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:14:24 GMT, Bill Campbell <com>
    wrote:

    >Yup. My internal list adds sco-list to the Subject: line, and I've been
    >known to forget to remove it before responding to posts.[/ref]

    Please don't take my comment personally--you're not the only one. You were
    just the most recent, which made your post an easily-accessible example.

  10. #10

    Bill Campbell wrote:

    > Yup. My internal list adds sco-list to the Subject: line, and I've been
    > known to forget to remove it before responding to posts.[/ref]

    You started that many years ago, I'm guessing you had all your mail
    going into a single mailbox. With today's mail (and spam) volumes you
    must be using multiple mailboxes. If you're having the SCO newsgroups
    delivered into their own mailbox, can't you get rid of the "sco-list"
    tag now?

    Bela Guest

  11. #11

    On Thu, Nov 13, 2003, JamesDad wrote:

    >>Yup. My internal list adds sco-list to the Subject: line, and I've been
    >>known to forget to remove it before responding to posts.[/ref]
    >
    >Please don't take my comment personally--you're not the only one. You were
    >just the most recent, which made your post an easily-accessible example.[/ref]

    I rarely take things on this list personally (although I wouldn't want to
    be the target of a Brian or FyRE blase :-).

    FWIW: We do have a local e-mail distribution list that consolidates the
    news groups into one list. It's a majordomo list accessible with the
    normal commands to com. I originally set up the list
    in the late '80s when we were still doing a lot of e-mail for the Seattle
    area using dialup uucp with our main connection uu.net in Virginia, and
    having a local distribution cut our phone bills quite a bit instead of
    having multiple subscribers all coming through our system.

    Anybody's welcome to subscribe to this list, which is more spam-free than
    the usenet or Ed's list because I run all postings through spamassassin, a
    defang program to catch Windows worms, and some customized spam recognition
    software here before accepting the posting for distribution.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    Democracy must be sometihng more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what
    to have for dinner -- James Bovard
    Bill Guest

  12. #12

    On Thu, Nov 13, 2003, Bela Lubkin wrote:

    >> Yup. My internal list adds sco-list to the Subject: line, and I've been
    >> known to forget to remove it before responding to posts.[/ref]
    >
    >You started that many years ago, I'm guessing you had all your mail
    >going into a single mailbox. With today's mail (and spam) volumes you
    >must be using multiple mailboxes. If you're having the SCO newsgroups
    >delivered into their own mailbox, can't you get rid of the "sco-list"
    >tag now?[/ref]

    I might, but there are people on our sub-list that prefer it that way. I
    just have to remember to tweak my mail before forwarding it.

    I definately use more than one mailbox as can be seen in a screen shot I
    have on a page I wrote for an Apple OS X SIG meeting last year. The shot
    on this page is my G4 running OS X with XFree86, the XFCE window manager,
    and a bunch of X clients running on a Linux box.

    http://support.celestial.com/doc/osx/

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``Our Foreign dealings are an Open Book, generally a Check Book.''
    Will Rogers
    Bill Guest

  13. #13

    "Bill Campbell" <com> wrote in message
    news:mi.celestial.com... [/ref][/ref]
    line [/ref][/ref]
    postings [/ref][/ref]
    been

    > >You started that many years ago, I'm guessing you had all your mail
    > >going into a single mailbox. With today's mail (and spam) volumes you
    > >must be using multiple mailboxes. If you're having the SCO newsgroups
    > >delivered into their own mailbox, can't you get rid of the "sco-list"
    > >tag now?[/ref]
    >
    > I might, but there are people on our sub-list that prefer it that way. I
    > just have to remember to tweak my mail before forwarding it.
    >
    > I definately use more than one mailbox as can be seen in a screen shot I
    > have on a page I wrote for an Apple OS X SIG meeting last year. The shot
    > on this page is my G4 running OS X with XFree86, the XFCE window manager,
    > and a bunch of X clients running on a Linux box.
    >
    > http://support.celestial.com/doc/osx/[/ref]

    mm.. purdy..

    I'm running out of reasons not to buy a G5..

    bkx

    Stuart Guest

  14. #14

    On Fri, Nov 14, 2003, Stuart J. Browne wrote:

    >mm.. purdy..[/ref]

    I forgot to mention that each little mailbox in the column on the right
    side of the screen is a perl::Tk app that flips the flag up when mail comes
    in and clicking on an icon fires off an xterm with mutt to read the mail.

    My 450MhZ G4 feels pretty slow... I have Panther for it, but haven't taken
    the time to install it yet.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal
    in slavery than unequal in freedom.''
    -Alexis de Tocqueville, 1805-1859
    Bill Guest

  15. #15

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:12:06 GMT, Bill Campbell <com> wrote:

    > I might, but there are people on our sub-list that prefer it that way. I[/ref]

    There are people that AREN'T on your list that prefer it that way, too.

    News is news and mail is mail. What's appropriate in one place isn't
    necessarily appropriate in the other. Someone that's ignoring news but
    replies to an email and that had reply-to or cc set to this address that
    he's never heard of and finds out he just made a public statement has a
    right to be ticked. At least tweaking the subjects offers the hint that
    there is more than one recepient.

    And, hey, neither his software nor his practices did this weird crossing
    of the stream thing, so suggesting the email-ee in the above example be
    more dilligent will get you only a giant raspberry.

    Robert Guest

  16. #16

    On Thu, Nov 13, 2003, Robert Lipe wrote:

    >> I might, but there are people on our sub-list that prefer it that way. I[/ref]
    >
    >There are people that AREN'T on your list that prefer it that way, too.
    >
    >News is news and mail is mail. What's appropriate in one place isn't
    >necessarily appropriate in the other. Someone that's ignoring news but
    >replies to an email and that had reply-to or cc set to this address that
    >he's never heard of and finds out he just made a public statement has a
    >right to be ticked. At least tweaking the subjects offers the hint that
    >there is more than one recepient.[/ref]

    IHMO, list managers who put ``Reply-To: thelist'' deserve a special place
    in hell. I've always thought that it should require a little thought
    before sending a message to hundreds to thousands of recipients.

    Yup. I just ed up my posting. Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``Never do your enemy a minor injury.''
    - Machiavelli
    Bill Guest

  17. #17

    JamesDad <com> wrote:

    http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scoadm.html#what_are

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    Tony Guest

  18. #18

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:10:34 +0000 (UTC), Tony Lawrence
    <TheWorld.com> wrote:

    >http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scoadm.html#what_are[/ref]

    Thanks, Tony. I appreciate the pointer.

    I'm Mike--James' Dad, hence "JamesDad". I use this nym in memory of my
    son James Webb (1992-2000) who died fighting leukemia. He was a greater
    man at 8 than some ever become. May his life, battle and story never be
    forgotten! More info at <http://www.themiraclekids.com/mem-james.htm>.
    *** Remove ARROGANCE Before Replying ***
    JamesDad Guest