Professional Web Applications Themes

SCO Login Problems - SCO

Hello everyone, I am having a major headache with my SCO 5.0.6 login. When the server is rebooted, I can login instantly with no problems at all. I can do this for a week to 10days and then the login begins to slowly either time out or it will take close to a minute to put in username and then the password. ANY IDEAS how I can resolve this problem. My machine is a P4, 1.0GB MEG, a raid controller with two 36GB SCSI Drive...

  1. #1

    Default SCO Login Problems

    Hello everyone,

    I am having a major headache with my SCO 5.0.6 login. When the server is
    rebooted, I can login instantly with no problems at all. I can do this for a
    week to 10days and then the login begins to slowly either time out or it
    will take close to a minute to put in username and then the password. ANY
    IDEAS how I can resolve this problem.

    My machine is a P4, 1.0GB MEG, a raid controller with two 36GB SCSI Drive

    bernie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SCO Login Problems

    bernie <aibn.com> wrote:

    Possibly: http://www.aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec6.html#slowlogin

    Is the performance otherwise acceptable?

    See http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/slow.html

    This doesn't sound like a network issue, but see

    http://www.aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec4.html#telnetslow

    for future reference

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  3. #3

    "bernie" <aibn.com> wrote in message

    I'm not sure if it's the same problem affecting 5.0.5 but I'm running this
    command as root in order it to fix it :

    tcbck

    I've also another script that SCO created specially for me that will fix the
    problem in case the above command doesn't work.

    Enrique Guest

  4. #4

    Do you need 100% up time?
    Are you running a web server or something else?

    I am running a box which just requires login during office hours.
    What I do is schedule it to reboot every night.

    If you know how to use vi, then do the following.

    Log in as root.
    Type: crontab -e
    This will load root's crontab into the vi editor.
    The add this line. (o is vi command to add new line.)
    15 0 * * * /etc/shutdown -y -i6 -g00 > /dev/null 2>&1
    Hit esc when done, then press :wq to save it.

    Your server will now reboot at 15 mins past midnight.
    Mine takes about 15 mins to restart, (waits on a few prompts for a
    little while). Then it mails root an Auto Boot mail message.

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:21:48 -0400, "bernie" <aibn.com>

    Peter Guest

  5. #5

    Peter McGill wrote:

    Gee, I have a similar solution for my car. Every week or two it
    develops this problem where it won't run. Something about "fuel", I
    think. So I abandon it by the side of the road and buy a new one (they
    always come with a full tank).

    Bela Guest

  6. #6

    Peter wrote:

    Peter,

    Not that this may not work as a temporary solution, but if it were
    me, I'd rather figure out WHY the login gets slow and fix THAT problem.

    I don't have an answer for "bernie" other than to keep looking for
    the problem. This "fix" will work in the short run, but even if
    you don't need 100% uptime, something isn't right on your box or
    the login wouldn't continue to get slower. And what other problems
    will get fixed when you figure out the cause of this one? Some you
    may not even know about...

    Peter, you haven't rubbed up against a Windows box lately have you?
    Wanting to reboot every night looks like a symptom of the Windows Viri
    <grin>

    Bill

    Bill Guest

  7. #7

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 20:07:43 GMT, Bill Andersen <com>
    wrote:

    >Peter,
    >
    >Not that this may not work as a temporary solution, but if it were
    >me, I'd rather figure out WHY the login gets slow and fix THAT problem.
    >[/ref]

    True Fixing the cause of the problem is best.

    My system doesn't have a specific problem that requires it to reboot.

    It's just been my experience, that every computer and every operating
    system, wether unix, windows, or whatever needs to be rebooted every
    once in a while. Even unix gets dead processes stuck in memory that
    there is no other way to get rid of. Programs have memory leaks,
    etc... If you don't have a regular reboot schedule then eventually the
    problems stack up and cause noticable side effects, even bringing down
    the whole server. True unix is better at managing these problems than
    other operating systems, but it is not immune.

    Since our severs don't need to be up all day, I just get ahead of the
    problem and reboot frequently. Simple but effective.

    Peter

    Peter Guest

  8. #8

    In article <3f833b43.5890940nntp>, Peter McGill <com> wrote: [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]

    I've never noticed that on the servers I run - they just keep
    running and running.

    I do make it a point to do a complete OS upgrade every two years
    however and that requires a reboot. Around the first of the year I
    rebuilt the entire OS on the webserver and it's been up for 245
    days now - while before I restarted it [actually moved to a new
    machine that was indentical except for a much larger hard drive]
    it was at about 780 days. It just never falters, hicups or slows
    down. It peaks in the spring running about 80-90K hits/day.
    Comes up on the top of the Google sites because of a stong domain name,
    so that helps the traffic.

    The mail machine has shown a bit of slowness in bursts lately but
    that because of the huge amount of spam coming in - and during
    those peaks it's getting about 10/second - and rejecting about 75%
    of them :-)

    A machine I remotely maintain in D.C. just was rebooted two week
    ago after running for 750+days. They lost power during the big
    storm and it is not in a colo.

    I've stopped having clients reboot their SCO systems since the
    lbolt problem was fixed. I did notice a flaw in the time on an
    OSR 5.0.5 - in that about after 14 months the uptime in w/who went
    away. Totally blank.

    In the past 5+ years the OSes have become very stable from my POV.
    Maybe you have hardware problems.

    I've never had one of these machine just stop working. Fairly
    plain machines - the servers are running iNTEL mobos with some
    Tyans - the OSR5 are most often ASUS.

    Well mine need to be up all the time but never need to be rebooted.
    The one exception was a dedicated server that unexplicably lost
    one of the NIC ports on the mobo. So that one required a hands
    on visit and a reboot.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  9. #9

    Peter wrote:

    I don't guess it will hurt anything. I just don't really see the
    need on a properly configured OS. I've not found the "memory leaks"
    or dead processes to be a problem. Granted, I've only got about 30 users
    running a specific accounting/distribution package. Not too many other
    programs running. However, I've got a couple of web servers, mail server
    and FTP machines on Unix. I don't reboot them unless I am doing a hardware
    upgrade or something that absolutely requires a reboot/shutdown.

    No real long uptimes at this point (172 days), but the only reason the
    machines were shutdown at that time was because we physically moved
    3 machines from one room to another new "dedicated" room. I found it
    hard to unplug them without causing some downtime <grin>! Previous
    uptime was most likely upwards of a year, but I didn't check before
    we moved them.

    In any event, I think the whole concept of restarting on a regular
    frequency has become an accepted way of thinking because of Microsoft.
    I interviewed a recent college graduate. He knew absolutely nothing
    other than Windows. When describing his responsibilities with a
    previous employer, he indicated he did "Preventive Maintenance" on
    their Win2000 server farm. I asked him what that included and he
    said "Install security patches, update application software and reboot
    each server daily at 5:30am to 'clear memory'" His reason for
    looking for another job was because he didn't like getting to work
    that early!!!

    Why, oh why, has this just become acceptable practice?

    Bill
    Bill Guest

  10. #10

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:04:13 GMT, Bill Andersen <com>
    wrote:

    >I don't guess it will hurt anything. I just don't really see the
    >need on a properly configured OS. I've not found the "memory leaks"
    >or dead processes to be a problem. Granted, I've only got about 30 users
    >running a specific accounting/distribution package. Not too many other
    >programs running. However, I've got a couple of web servers, mail server
    >and FTP machines on Unix. I don't reboot them unless I am doing a hardware
    >upgrade or something that absolutely requires a reboot/shutdown.
    >
    >No real long uptimes at this point (172 days), but the only reason the
    >machines were shutdown at that time was because we physically moved
    >3 machines from one room to another new "dedicated" room. I found it
    >hard to unplug them without causing some downtime <grin>! Previous
    >uptime was most likely upwards of a year, but I didn't check before
    >we moved them.
    >
    >In any event, I think the whole concept of restarting on a regular
    >frequency has become an accepted way of thinking because of Microsoft.
    >I interviewed a recent college graduate. He knew absolutely nothing
    >other than Windows. When describing his responsibilities with a
    >previous employer, he indicated he did "Preventive Maintenance" on
    >their Win2000 server farm. I asked him what that included and he
    >said "Install security patches, update application software and reboot
    >each server daily at 5:30am to 'clear memory'" His reason for
    >looking for another job was because he didn't like getting to work
    >that early!!!
    >
    >Why, oh why, has this just become acceptable practice?
    >
    >Bill[/ref]

    Microsoft why else?
    Doesn't everyone hate them, everyone who knows anything anyway.

    I'm trying to migrate all our servers to Linux, We're about 40%
    Win2000 now. Ew. But of course the people with the money who make the
    decisions won't listen to us educated folk who actually know what
    we're doing.

    I've only had a SCO server run for about 6 months, then I had to
    reboot it, the guy who installed it, did just that, installed and
    left, setup no maintenance of any kind, reboots asside, you still need
    regulary scheduled maintenance.

    Anyway I will shutup about reboots.

    Have we fixed bernie's problem yet, lets not forget about him.

    Peter

    Peter Guest