Professional Web Applications Themes

SCO = Mormon? - SCO

I assume that because SCO is based in Utah, that many of their employees are Mormon. Its probably a good thing because at some point they've got to consider how the litigous values of Darl McBride reflect their faith. Corporate honesty and integrity are important to maintain good standing in ones community. Darl, consult with your church elders and apologise to the open source community. We are our brother's keeper....

  1. #1

    Default SCO = Mormon?

    I assume that because SCO is based in Utah, that many of their employees
    are Mormon. Its probably a good thing because at some point they've got
    to consider how the litigous values of Darl McBride reflect their faith.

    Corporate honesty and integrity are important to maintain good standing in
    ones community.

    Darl, consult with your church elders and apologise to the open source
    community.

    We are our brother's keeper.

    M. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SCO = Mormon?

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 02:53:26 GMT, "M. Algion"
    <com> wrote:

    Well, the old SCO was predominantly Jewish management. It wasn't like
    every board meeting required a minion, but Jews were well represented.
    While I didn't agree with everything that SCO did, methinks they kept
    corporate matters within limits of common decency and common sense.

    "Corporate honesty" is an oxymoron. See Enron, Worldcom, and others
    for examples. Methinks you might be expecting too much.

    Ahem. The common conspiracy theory is that the Canopy Group, which
    funds Caldera, is "closely tied" to the Mormon church. If true, the
    church elders might be responsible for installing Darl McBride in his
    present position due to his past success at suing Ikon. Dunno, just a
    rumor. Since Canopy Group is not publicly held, ownership cannot be
    easily determined. However, I wouldn't expect much help from church
    elders that stand to profit the most should SCO win in court.
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=32872

    Perhaps if we converted them to Judaism?
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=61rnvr%comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

    --
    Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    (831)421-6491 pgr (831)336-2558 home

  3. #3

    Jeff Liebermann <santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Unfortunately, morals have not much standing in public companies. If the
    management and board isn't doing every LEGAL thing they can do to maximize
    profits, they aren't doing their jobs and can be sued. Certainly they
    can present arguments as to why they did or didn't do xyz, but "because
    it wasn't RIGHT" probably isn't going to work.

    I think only privately owned companys can be moral.

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:25:21 +0000 (UTC), com wrote:

    Well, there's been an awful lot of ASCII scribbled about "corporate
    morality". I still think it's an oxymoron.

    http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22corporate+morality%22
    1750 hits.

    # santa-cruz.ca.us
    # 831.421.6491 digital_pager com AE6KS
    Jeff Guest

  5. #5

    I wonder when we'll classify ourselves as either 1 or 0.
    Or possibly a series of ones and zeros that have morality coded in.
    Dave Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 05:26:10 -0000, Dave Shott <com>
    wrote:

    Not so fast, please. Whenever there is a legal (or tax question), the
    issue is almost always judged by answering a series of standard
    questions. For example, if you think you qualify for a "home office"
    deduction on your taxes, there are something like 14 questions that
    are asked. If any answer comes out wrong, you lose. The same could
    be applied for defining a monopoly, intellectual property ownership,
    and product liability (i.e. tobacco), but haven't. That's because
    these issues are politically sensitive, and the courts want some
    leeway until the congress critters get their act together and pass
    some appropriate legislation. You could reduce the question and
    answer process to a numerical value because in civil cases, it's the
    preponderance of evidence the prevails. (In criminal cases, it's
    beyone a reasonable doubt that prevails). In that case, nobody would
    be good or bad, right or wrong, but rather 87.6% correct.

    Such schemes have been suggested in past and actually implimented in a
    small way. California had a percentage of liability rule for personal
    injury cases for many years. If there was an accident, and various
    entities were involved, each would be judged and fined fractionally
    responsible. Unfortunately, the state ed it up by also demanding
    that the full amount be paid to the "victim" by whomever remained
    solvent after the judgement, resulting in the "deep pockets" horror
    where someone judged %1 responsible would pay 100% of the damages if
    the other parties tanked or skipped town. That mess was finally
    repealed about 12 years ago.

    If you really need something to worry about, you might consider that
    the sum total of your wealth is nothing more than a few bytes stored
    in some banking computah. And we all know how stable those bytes
    really are.