http://www.stevedunn.ca/ <----------------<<<[/ref][/ref][/ref] ------------------------------------------------------------------ Say hi to my cat -- http://www.stevedunn.ca/photos/toby/ [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => <3F54BC83.5050900@robnothere.com> <3F54C9E0.2050307@robnothere.com> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Stephen [ip] => stephen@stevedu [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 5 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> SCO OS 5.0.7 hangs on reboot - SCO

SCO OS 5.0.7 hangs on reboot - SCO

Hi. We've got s strange problem whereas an Olivetti Netstrada 3800, after a period of approx 2 months of operation without problems, now hangs while booting. No unusual error messages in the "laundry list" but as soon as the "Please register ..." message appears, everything stops (ie, no sulogin available). I have to say that, not being officially supported by SCO, we managed to download a driver for the Adaptec 2100S SCSI controller which seems to work fine with the underlying Adaptec 2010S SCSI controller but, again, this system worked for about 2 months. Also, I disable the Hyperthreading support ...

  1. #1

    Default SCO OS 5.0.7 hangs on reboot

    Hi.

    We've got s strange problem whereas an Olivetti Netstrada 3800, after a
    period of approx 2 months of operation without problems, now hangs while
    booting.

    No unusual error messages in the "laundry list" but as soon as the
    "Please register ..." message appears, everything stops (ie, no sulogin
    available).

    I have to say that, not being officially supported by SCO, we managed to
    download a driver for the Adaptec 2100S SCSI controller which seems to
    work fine with the underlying Adaptec 2010S SCSI controller but, again,
    this system worked for about 2 months.

    Also, I disable the Hyperthreading support in BIOS as to avoid problems
    with SCO OS 5.0.7.

    I'm in the position to say that I've got characters echoed to the screen
    when I press 'em on the keyboard and that CAPS/SCROLL LOCK get reflected
    by the leds on the keyboard itself.

    Of course, the customer does not have any emergency boot floppies so at
    the moment I'm trying to recover it with the "tools" trick.

    Any suggestions are welcome.

    Best,
    Roberto
    --
    Roberto Zini - Technical Support Manager - email:r.zini<AT>strhold.it
    Technical Support Manager -- Strhold Evolution Division R.E. (ITALY)

    Roberto Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SCO OS 5.0.7 hangs on reboot

    Roberto Zini wrote:

    Well,

    we made some progresses.

    We kind of managed to break out the installation procedure by using the
    "tools" at boot: trick; BTW, I was able to verify that "tools" is able
    to honour the "link=<type>" tag used to link BTLD drivers at boot time
    (I wasn't sure about that).

    Anyway, we were able to mount the root filesystem but everything seemed
    to be OK; /etc/inittab was in order and /etc/init was present.

    The strange thing is that we noticed parts of print jobs embedded into
    the /usr/adm/syslog file, along with several "can't find terminal
    control database ..." messages.

    We recreated the /etc/inittab from the base link kit, recreated the
    /etc/auth/system/ttys as instructed by a SCO's TA, deleted the
    /etc/ioctl.syscon file a verified the /dev/console link under /dev but
    unsuccessfully.

    Still fighting,
    Roberto

    --
    Best,
    Roberto

  3. #3

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 17:51:31 +0200, Roberto Zini <com>
    wrote:

    1 ) Install Linux.
    2 ) Feel the weight of the "dark side" leaving you.
    3 ) Configure, and forget...

    Scott Guest

  4. #4

    Roberto Zini wrote:

    > I forgot to tell that, after mounting the root filesystem and chrooting
    > to it, I was even able to execute "custom" as to check for
    > Broken/Missing Symbolic links and everything (well, except for a couple
    > of man pages) was correct.[/ref]

    Go down the same route, then edit /etc/conf/sdevice.d/scodb, change 'N'
    to 'Y', relink, reboot from hard disk. When it hangs, hit Ctrl-Alt-D to
    get into the kernel debugger. Type "ps()" to get a ps-like display.

    Do the same with a normal system. Ctrl-Alt-D when it's waiting for you
    to hit ^D or enter root password. "ps()". Compare this output to the
    problem system.

    Do a mental `diff` of the two. Ignore differences in specific process
    IDs, times, stuff like that. What processes are either _not_ running or
    _additionally_ running on the problem system?

    Bela Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com> com writes:
    $The strange thing is that we noticed parts of print jobs embedded into
    $the /usr/adm/syslog file, along with several "can't find terminal
    $control database ..." messages.

    Which to me says filesystem corruption, though it's interesting
    that you've found everything else to be clean. Hmm ... I forget;
    did you run the check that makes sure all the files exist and have
    the right perms and stuff, or the one that actually goes and
    does checksums on them all? If random blocks (or parts of blocks)
    of files are being overwritten with random data, that wouldn't
    change any of the perms and other info in the directory entries
    and inodes, but it would affect checksums. Maybe there are some
    files that are more important than /usr/adm/syslog that have
    had some parts of print jobs or "can't find terminal control
    database ..." messages embedded in them ...

    I'm assuming you've run whatever diagnostics are available for the
    hardware and it's checked out OK. To my mind, that leaves either
    the filesystem driver or the SCSI card driver. Everyone else who's
    running 5.0.7 would presumably be using the same filesystem
    driver so that sounds like a low probability. You say you're using
    an unsupported SCSI card for which you dug up a driver somewhere;
    given that you're having problems that seem to be somehow related
    to the SCSI hard drive, this one looks like a warning flag to me.
    Any chance of replacing it with a supported SCSI card?

    Odd that the system would perform properly for a couple of months
    and then suddenly have problems, though.
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn <ca> [/ref][/ref]
    Stephen Guest

  6. #6

    Scott wrote:

    > 1 ) Install Linux.
    > 2 ) Feel the weight of the "dark side" leaving you.
    > 3 ) Configure, and forget...
    >[/ref]

    Well, I don't want to start another flame war between SCO and Linux but,
    from your statement #1), it seems that a) Linux is unbreakable, b) Linux
    never fails and c) Linux is the solution for all mankind problems :-)

    Don't get me wrong: I sympathize with all the operating systems which
    ends with *X so I'm pro SCO OpenServer (Unix) and pro Linux and I can
    give you details of SCO OpenServer5 installations still up and running
    after several YEARS of work without a single problem (just as in the #3
    "install, configure & forget" case) but, again, from the previous post
    it seems that your view is a little bit sort of "distorted".

    However, switching to Linux is not an option for the customer to choose
    at the moment but thank you for your comments.

    Best,
    Roberto

  7. #7

    Stephen M. Dunn wrote:

    Bela & Stephen,

    thanks for your pointers !

    Unfortunately, the system involved in this issue was very important for
    the customer who expressely told us to reinstall if we couldn't find the
    reasons of the failing boot in a couple of hours (which we did) so I'm
    not in the position to perform additional testings since the server was
    returned to the customer last Wednesday:-(

    The strange thing is that, when booted from the emergency floppies or
    from the CD-ROM (after breaking out with "tools" at boottime), the
    system was very fine; fsck did not reported anything unusuale and after
    a successfull mount of the /dev/hd0root filesystem (the one on the HD) +
    chrooting into it, we were able to run the system and (as an example)
    run "custom" to verify the system (even with the "strict database
    compliance" option) and scoadmin.

    As an additional test, thinking of an offending program executed just
    before sulogin, I managed to compare the checkum (sum) of all the
    executables specified in /etc/inittab on the offeding PC against the
    ones on a good 5.0.7 system but unsuccessfully (they were exactly the same).

    So I thought about a damaged device so, after setting up a minimal
    /etc/inittab, I recreated the /dev/console, /dev/systty and /dev/syscon,
    deleted the /etc/ioctl.syscon file and recreated the ttys protected
    security database file but, again, unsuccessfully.

    In a private email, Fabio Giannotti pointed out the fact that, from his
    experience, a normal file could have turned into a FIFO thus causing
    some process to hang while reading data from it: while Fabio's theory
    could apply here, I don't know if the processes which gets executed
    between the loading of the kernel the sulogin could suffer from this
    specific problem (let me remind you that this system could not reach the
    sulogin prompt, not to mention that it was unable to reach init-2 after
    the "boot:" timeout).

    Also, I'm with Stephen concerning the SCSI driver problem; in fact, the
    customer is operating an unsupported SCSI controller (Adaptec 2010S)
    which __seems__ to work fine with the drive for the 2100S; I did not
    perform special workload test as to find out the reliability of the
    system itself - well, apart the usual (for me)

    while true
    do
    find . -type f -exec sum -lr {} \;
    done

    script which ran a whole night without problems - but the customer is
    well aware that this is __NOT__ a supported system and (well, up to next
    crash I think :-) he's fine with it.

    Last thing I'd like to share to the group is the fact that the customer
    uses to shutdowning the server every night as a precaution (against what
    ? Dunno) so perhaps the stress of daily powerup/shutdown ___might___
    have caused troubles with the underlying system.

    I expressly told him to leave the system up and running on a 24x7x365
    basis since modern OS do not have to be switched off daily as to better
    preserve 'em (well, apart from MS ones :-)

    Thanks again for your help !

    Roberto

    --
    Best,
    Roberto

  8. #8

    In article <com>,
    Roberto Zini <com> wrote: [/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    As to 'never breaking' I got a call last week from a site for which
    I do maintenance.

    The could not get mail, no one could come in remotely to acces the
    system, etc. I ssh'd in and it looked ok, but no pop server, no
    telnet [I can't talk them out of that], no ftp.

    The system had gone down when the power was out longer than the
    UPS.

    After searching I found the xinetd was not running. So fired it
    off and nothing. Looked again it was not running.

    I started logging the startup and xinetd started off 15 processes
    just as it should, but the 16th had a problem, and xineted exited
    taking everything else it had started along with it.

    To me this is not what I'd call a robust design. I would prefer to
    have only the problems service fail - but then xinetd is an
    improved method for doing what inetd has done so well - and not
    failing so nastily - in the past.

    Hm - have something against FreeBSD or NetBSD or OpenBSD. None of
    those end in x. Gotcha!!! ;^)

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  9. #9

    Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >>[/ref]
    > [/ref]

    >>[/ref]

    > As to 'never breaking' I got a call last week from a site for which
    > I do maintenance.
    >
    > The could not get mail, no one could come in remotely to acces the
    > system, etc. I ssh'd in and it looked ok, but no pop server, no
    > telnet [I can't talk them out of that], no ftp.
    >[/ref]

    [not so funny stuff deleted :-]

    I think that, at this point, Scott will jump in saying you're a moron
    not even able to administer a lighter :-)

    I think that OSes today have grown to a level of complexity where it's
    almost impossible to guarantee a bug-free system, even with the greatest
    level of testing/stressing under which the OS is put. And I think the
    same goes for Linux and other open source projects, even though I know
    some may disagree ...

    > Hm - have something against FreeBSD or NetBSD or OpenBSD. None of
    > those end in x. Gotcha!!! ;^)
    >[/ref]

    Dammit ! I did not think about 'em ...

    :-)

    --
    Best,
    Roberto

  10. #10

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 17:51:31 +0200, Roberto Zini <com>
    wrote:

    swap >2GB ???

    Stefan

    Stefan Guest

  11. #11

    Stefan Marquardt wrote:

    > swap >2GB ???
    >
    > Stefan
    >[/ref]

    Stefan,

    at the moment I can't check since we returned the box to the owner.

    However, if memory serves, swap was well < than 2GB.

    Thanks,
    Roberto

  12. #12

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:40:05 +0200, Roberto Zini <com>
    wrote:

    what did you change ?

    Stefan

    Stefan Guest

  13. #13

    Stefan Marquardt wrote:

    > what did you change ?
    >
    > Stefan
    >[/ref]

    Well, I was unable to bring the system back to life within the timeline
    given by the customer so I reinstalled the system from scratch :-(

    The good thing is that, given the fact we were able to access the root
    filesystem from the emergency floppies, we were able to backup some
    important files and recover the whole system in less than an hour (not
    to mention that, being the application files held in separate
    filesystems, the customer had not to recover the data from backup since
    it was still there).

    Best,
    Roberto

  14. #14

    In article <com>,
    Roberto Zini <com> wrote: [/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]

    >> what did you change ?
    >>
    >> Stefan[/ref][/ref]

    On installs I perfom - and there are very few SCO around here
    anymore - I always make a pure OS backup after unmounting all the
    other user file systems - and store that with the backup tape.
    Any time OS changes, kernel relinks, etc., are made, a fresh
    OS only tape is made. 99% of the time it is never needed but in a
    handful of cases it has saved many hours.

    Now is the time to unmount those separate filesystem and make
    an OS only backup. I'd also do that before any OS upgrades or
    kernel relinks - as it only took 10 minutes - and it's a great
    insurance policy.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  15. #15

    Bill Vermillion wrote:

    [snip]

    > On installs I perfom - and there are very few SCO around here
    > anymore - I always make a pure OS backup after unmounting all the
    > other user file systems - and store that with the backup tape.
    > Any time OS changes, kernel relinks, etc., are made, a fresh
    > OS only tape is made. 99% of the time it is never needed but in a
    > handful of cases it has saved many hours.
    >
    >[/ref]

    [munch]

    That's a good point; the problem is (was ?) the customer was totally
    Unix-unaware so he "blindly" asked us to perform the installation of the
    box; next, it was the turn of a software house to install the accounting
    package and none of the above players (not to mention the final
    customer) managed to perform a backup copy of the __WHOLE__ system
    (AFAIK, there's a mechanism which only backups the data on the external
    filesystems).

    Just before returning the box to the customer, I installed an evaluation
    copy of backup edge, performed a full backup, created the RecoverEdge
    floppy set and I strongly suggested the user to adopt it for good.

    Time will tell :-)

    Best,
    Roberto