Professional Web Applications Themes

SCO OS 5.0.6 Initial install creates system panic on Compaq ML570 - SCO

Mike Brown <miketkg.ca> wrote in message news:<3EF9191D.4A266C98tkg.ca>... > Judy Guenther wrote: > > > > Compaq ML570 Server w/4GB Ram, 6-32GB SCSI Hard Drives, Smart-Array > > 5304/128 Controller > > > > During inital install SCO installs correctly, but during first boot > > receives the following: PANIC: srmountfun - error 6 mounting rootdev > > hd(1/42). This occurs each time regardless of which controller the > > hard drives are attached. What has been determined is that after > > system install and during inital boot of O/S if the defbootstr is > > entered at the boot ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: SCO OS 5.0.6 Initial install creates system panic on Compaq ML570

    Mike Brown <miketkg.ca> wrote in message news:<3EF9191D.4A266C98tkg.ca>...
    > Judy Guenther wrote:
    > >
    > > Compaq ML570 Server w/4GB Ram, 6-32GB SCSI Hard Drives, Smart-Array
    > > 5304/128 Controller
    > >
    > > During inital install SCO installs correctly, but during first boot
    > > receives the following: PANIC: srmountfun - error 6 mounting rootdev
    > > hd(1/42). This occurs each time regardless of which controller the
    > > hard drives are attached. What has been determined is that after
    > > system install and during inital boot of O/S if the defbootstr is
    > > entered at the boot prompt and you quit and don't actually load the
    > > btld then the system boots correctly and does so from then on. I know
    > > that the kernel is not re-generated at this time, but is there a
    > > timing issue or possibly something wrong with my hardware?
    >
    > Has the 5304 controller been set as the 1st controller in the BIOS ( RBSU )?
    >
    > Are you loading the EFS5.58 BTLD at boot time with the string
    >
    > defbootstr disable=ciss link=ciss hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    >
    > I have not loaded a ML570 recently, but the 5304 works in 350/370/530 with
    > 5.0.6.
    >
    > Mike
    It is set as the first controller in the BIOS. RBSU does not apply,
    the server is ML570 G1.

    The boot string we were using is:
    defbootstr link=ciss hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    Judy Guenther Guest

  2. #2

    Judy Guenther wrote:

    > Mike Brown <miketkg.ca> wrote in message news:<3EF9191D.4A266C98tkg.ca>...
    > > Judy Guenther wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Compaq ML570 Server w/4GB Ram, 6-32GB SCSI Hard Drives, Smart-Array
    > > > 5304/128 Controller
    > > >
    > > > During inital install SCO installs correctly, but during first boot
    > > > receives the following: PANIC: srmountfun - error 6 mounting rootdev
    > > > hd(1/42). This occurs each time regardless of which controller the
    > > > hard drives are attached. What has been determined is that after
    > > > system install and during inital boot of O/S if the defbootstr is
    > > > entered at the boot prompt and you quit and don't actually load the
    > > > btld then the system boots correctly and does so from then on. I know
    > > > that the kernel is not re-generated at this time, but is there a
    > > > timing issue or possibly something wrong with my hardware?
    > >
    > > Has the 5304 controller been set as the 1st controller in the BIOS ( RBSU )?
    > >
    > > Are you loading the EFS5.58 BTLD at boot time with the string
    > >
    > > defbootstr disable=ciss link=ciss hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    > >
    > > I have not loaded a ML570 recently, but the 5304 works in 350/370/530 with
    > > 5.0.6.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > It is set as the first controller in the BIOS. RBSU does not apply,
    > the server is ML570 G1.
    >
    > The boot string we were using is:
    > defbootstr link=ciss hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    That looks okay. Check in the BIOS under PCI interrupts, and try to set them
    up so the 5304 does not share its interrupt with any other card.

    I have had some problems a while ago with card slots, is the controller in
    a 64bit/66Mhz slot?

    Mike

    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group
    Mike Brown Guest

  3. #3

    Jean-Pierre Radley <jprjpr.com> wrote in message news:<20030625210900.GF1299jpradley.jpr.com>...
    > Judy Guenther typed (on Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 09:15:14AM -0700):
    > | Bela Lubkin <belalsco.com> wrote in message news:<20030625055830.GI22421sco.com>...

    > | > Can you please clarify the above statement? You're apparently using
    > | > some boot strings, maybe during ISL, maybe during post-ISL reboots.
    > | > Show us the actual strings used at each stage, and clearly state what
    > | > happens with each.
    > | >
    > | > Parts I'm confused about: "regardless of which controller the hard
    > | > drives are attached" -- you only mentioned one controller. The machine
    > | > probably has another built in, but don't expect the reader to know that,
    > | > spell it out.
    > | >
    > | > "if the defbootstr is entered at the boot prompt and you quit and don't
    > | > actually load the btld" -- haven't a clue what that means.
    > | >
    > | > If you're using a BTLD (as it sounds like you must be), please name it.
    > | >
    > | > What are the last few lines of output before the panic? I think
    > | > typically there would be some other explanatory error messages before
    > | > the "srmountfun" panic (something like "no root disk controller" -- but
    > | > please type in the exact text of the last few lines of output).

    > | Sorry for the confusion. We are using EFS 5.58B.
    > |
    > | Here is the exact error:
    > |
    > | Error: PANIC: srmountfun - Error 6
    > | mounting rootdev hd (1/42)
    > |
    > | Error 6 opening dumpdev hd (1/41) Dump not completed
    > | Warning: ciss <slot 5>: Event notifier disabled.
    > |

    > | The boot string that was entered when the drives were connected to the
    > | 5304 is:
    > |
    > | defbootstr link=ciss hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    > |
    > | bootstring entered when connected to internal controller was:
    > |
    > | defbootstr link=cha hd=Sdsk Sdsk=cha(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    > |
    > | Here is what is happening. The machine is currently up and running.
    > | We used the first boot string when loading the OS. On first boot
    > | after insallation, we enter the same boot string again.
    >
    > Why??? If you link in a particular BTLD at installation, the kernel that
    > is compiled when installtion finished *contains that driver*. You no
    > longer have to specify its use with a defbootstr command, it's in the
    > /stand/unix kernel.
    >
    > | At the prompt to enter efs diskette, we quit out and the OS came up.
    > | Then, we were unable to see the CDROM drive. Rebooted and did not use
    > | the boot string and OS came up and we were able to see CDROM.

    With further research, HP/Compaq has decided that it's a problem. If
    you build your SCO O/S with the CD-Rom being the "Slave" the above
    situation happens everytime regardless of the server model you install
    it on. (Tried on (2) ML570's and (1) ML370). If you build your O/S
    with the CD-Rom being the "Master" then the installation works fine.
    This has something to do with the latest firmware revisions for the
    Server / Controller / Hard Drives?? HP is in the process of trying to
    correct the problem. Even with the initial build with "Slave", you
    can boot the O/S by entering the boot string and quitting out. After
    this point you must down the server one more time and bring it up
    normally without the boot string in order to use the CD-Rom.

    Thanks for the great suggestions, they were very much appreciated!
    Judy
    Judy Guenther Guest

  4. #4

    Judy Guenther wrote:
    > With further research, HP/Compaq has decided that it's a problem. If
    > you build your SCO O/S with the CD-Rom being the "Slave" the above
    > situation happens everytime regardless of the server model you install
    > it on. (Tried on (2) ML570's and (1) ML370). If you build your O/S
    > with the CD-Rom being the "Master" then the installation works fine.
    > This has something to do with the latest firmware revisions for the
    > Server / Controller / Hard Drives?? HP is in the process of trying to
    > correct the problem. Even with the initial build with "Slave", you
    > can boot the O/S by entering the boot string and quitting out. After
    > this point you must down the server one more time and bring it up
    > normally without the boot string in order to use the CD-Rom.
    >
    > Thanks for the great suggestions, they were very much appreciated!
    > Judy
    Thanks for the information.

    Do you have another IDE device installed that causes the CDROM to
    become the "slave"? Normally if it is the only IDE device you would
    have to jumper it CS or MASTER for it to work.

    It looks like there is some dependency between HP/Compaq's CISS driver
    and the controller mode ( master/slave ) of the CDROM. It is a real
    stretch to guess at what the two have in common, but great detective
    work figuring this one out.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group
    Mike Brown Guest

  5. #5

    Mike Brown <miketkg.ca> wrote in message news:<3EFCECB6.8FA674EAtkg.ca>...
    > Judy Guenther wrote:
    >
    > > With further research, HP/Compaq has decided that it's a problem. If
    > > you build your SCO O/S with the CD-Rom being the "Slave" the above
    > > situation happens everytime regardless of the server model you install
    > > it on. (Tried on (2) ML570's and (1) ML370). If you build your O/S
    > > with the CD-Rom being the "Master" then the installation works fine.
    > > This has something to do with the latest firmware revisions for the
    > > Server / Controller / Hard Drives?? HP is in the process of trying to
    > > correct the problem. Even with the initial build with "Slave", you
    > > can boot the O/S by entering the boot string and quitting out. After
    > > this point you must down the server one more time and bring it up
    > > normally without the boot string in order to use the CD-Rom.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the great suggestions, they were very much appreciated!
    > > Judy
    >
    > Thanks for the information.
    >
    > Do you have another IDE device installed that causes the CDROM to
    > become the "slave"? Normally if it is the only IDE device you would
    > have to jumper it CS or MASTER for it to work.
    >
    > It looks like there is some dependency between HP/Compaq's CISS driver
    > and the controller mode ( master/slave ) of the CDROM. It is a real
    > stretch to guess at what the two have in common, but great detective
    > work figuring this one out.
    >
    > Mike

    Actually, Compaq had originally had me change the jumpers to CS two
    years ago when I originally installed this server and set it to Slave.
    The reason for this is because the server was not seeing the CD-Rom
    drive at all and therefore I could not install the software.
    Apparently, some where along the line they corrected this problem but
    failed to notify anyone of the changes.

    Thanks again for the help!

    Judy
    Judy Guenther Guest