Professional Web Applications Themes

SCO resellers: future looks VERY bleak... - SCO

Interesting article at: http://www.advogato.org/article/702.html from a consultant with an interesting angle on SCO's latest antics, and how they will (and are currently, as I know from personal experience) benefit the OS community, and Linux in particular. :--- Start quote. By picking a fight with IBM and the free software comunity, SCO has backed itself into a corner. The company faces a very real possibility of not existing in several years if they don't win their case convincingly. Where does this leave all their partners who have based businesses on their products? Up a creek. Here's where you, the Linux consultant ...

  1. #1

    Default SCO resellers: future looks VERY bleak...

    Interesting article at: http://www.advogato.org/article/702.html from
    a consultant with an interesting angle on SCO's latest antics, and how
    they will (and are currently, as I know from personal experience)
    benefit the OS community, and Linux in particular.

    :--- Start quote.

    By picking a fight with IBM and the free software comunity, SCO has
    backed itself into a corner. The company faces a very real possibility
    of not existing in several years if they don't win their case
    convincingly. Where does this leave all their partners who have based
    businesses on their products? Up a creek. Here's where you, the Linux
    consultant come in: why not reach out to these people and help them
    transition away from SCO's substandard products?

    Are you like me, a lone consultant, or part of a small group focused
    on Linux and other free software technologies? I know I'm always on
    the lookout for new opportunities, and ways to break into new markets.

    SCO has handed us some tools to do just that. With all their
    sabre-rattling, they have shown that they are focusing their business
    on attempting to leach off of Linux via lawsuits and spreading
    disinformation. They realize their actual products are headed
    downhill. That's becoming more obvious to everyone out there.

    The second thing they have given us is a convenient tool at
    http://wdb1.sco.com/sdir_web/owa/ptrLocator.search which shows us all
    of their partners. It's quite an extensive list, with businesses
    located throughout the world, in many diverse sectors. Even in the
    corner of Italy where I live there are a dozen or so businesses listed
    (who I made sure to contact before publishing this!).

    So, your task as an entrepreneur is to go after these guys as new
    business. It's no fault of their own that SCO is behaving the way it
    is. Maybe they should have looked into open source products a while
    ago, but that's not the point. What you have to communicate to them
    is: 1) SCO has picked a fight with an 800 pound gorilla and risks
    extinction within several years. 2) You would like to help them move
    to linux and other free software systems.

    It's really a potential win for both sides - you probably don't have
    much of a chance of directly competing with many of these companies,
    especially if they are firmly entrenched in whatever niche they occupy
    - a lot of them probably just have products that run on SCO. So you
    get a chance to do work in a new area, and they get a lifeline away
    from SCO.

    I don't see much of a downside to it either. Like I said, you probably
    aren't competing with many of these guys in any case, so if worst
    comes to worst, you haven't lost any business, and if you made some
    good points about the shakiness of SCO's position, they will sleep a
    little less easily at night.

    Please remember to be kind, courteous and to consider things from your
    potential client's point of view. Don't rant and rave about what
    slimeballs SCO are, and do attempt to gently pursuade that free
    software might make a better base for the business in question's
    needs.

    :--- End quote.

    Interesting comment to the above article:

    :--- Start quote.

    Not Necessary, posted 9 Sep 2003 by mrorganic (Journeyer)

    If you currently use SCO's stuff, you probably fall into one of three
    groups:
    1. You use OpenServer (nee Xenix) in some kind of embedded role (like
    the cash registers at Mickey D's). If you are this kind of person, you
    either a) are already looking at alternatives like embedded Linux or
    QNX, or b) you don't care what runs on your stuff as long as it works.
    You already know OpenServer is a dead-end product.

    2. You use UnixWare/Open Unix, you know it s rocks, and you've
    already begun to plan a move towards some other *nix (either Linux on
    Intel or Solaris on SPARC).

    3. You are a SCO channel reseller, and you hate and fear Linux because
    it means the end of your business (unless you adapt to something
    else). These channel resellers are people that have been doing this
    for years (decades, in some cases) and are seeing their businesses
    die. These people will follow where ever SCO leads -- even if it means
    going right into the crapper along with SCO.

    This is a Kamikaze run by SCO. They know that their days as sellers of
    software are numbered; no one will want to do business with them after
    this nightmare, even if some of their claims hold up in court (which I
    doubt). They are obviously angling to become a "pure IP" house, where
    they make money from licensing (and frivolous lawsuits). It's their
    only real alternative -- I think Darl McBride knew the company was
    doomed, and decided to play the only card he had.

    An interesting side-effect of this case might be that UNIX finally
    becomes public domain. UNIX has an amazingly tangled history, and I
    don't think anyone really knows who contributed what and under what
    license.

    :--- End quote.

    How long till we set up an emergency fund for all the clientless SCO
    resellers out there, down on their luck due to the actions of the
    greedy, arrogant liars up at SCO HQ?

    --
    FyRE < "Ready Cursor?" >
    FyRE Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SCO resellers: future looks VERY bleak...

    On Tue, Sep 09, 2003, FyRE wrote:

    I find this ironic in that Caldera (who purchased SCO then changed their
    name to SCO Group) originally built its reseller channel by going after
    SCO's Authorized Resellers, very successfully I might add. Celestial has
    been in SCO Reseller since 1987 or 1988 (I could dig through the archives
    to find the exact date if necessary), and signed up as a Caldera Reseller
    shortly after Caldera started recruiting.

    We started installing Caldera Linux in mission-critical applications in
    September 1997, and over the years most of our customers have made the
    switch to Linux, not so much because of price, but because of capabilities,
    ease of installation, and software availability. We still have a very
    small number of OpenServer installations where customers are running 3rd
    party software that runs on it.

    I have some very good friends who are die-hard SCO Resellers, but the vast
    majority of their resellers I've known for at least a decade have already
    shifted most of their Unix business to Linux, OS X, or other *ix platforms.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    Breathe fire, slay dragons, and take chances. Failure is temporary, regret
    is eternal.
    Bill Guest

  3. #3

    FyRE <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote:

    I don't think you'll find very many of us who haven't been into
    Linux etc. for quite some time now.. :-)

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 00:38:00 +0000 (UTC), com wrote:

    >I don't think you'll find very many of us who haven't been into
    >Linux etc. for quite some time now.. :-)[/ref]

    Well I'm guessing you must be pretty ed at Darl and his band of
    criminals then? Not only are they cutting the throat of their own
    company to make themselves a nice wad of cash; but they're doing
    everything their grubby little minds can come up with to try to
    destroy the Open Source community, and Linux. So that covers both of
    your markets.

    It makes you wonder where the World is heading when absolute sbags
    like the SCO "mafia" can profit through lies, threats and media and
    stock price manipulation. It's not setting a good example for our
    youth when they see these heels cashing in on misery. I can only
    hope that Darl and co end up spending an eternity in hell, drinking
    liquid pig 24 hours a day whilst having license agreements printed
    out on sandpaper and shoved up their asses ;-)

    --
    FyRE < "War: The way Americans learn geography" >
    FyRE Guest

  5. #5

    FyRE <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote:
     [/ref]

    I've been ed at SCO's management for long before the latest
    crop took charge.

    I think "criminal" is too strong a word, though. But yeah, I
    am pretty upset about all of it. If you want, you can read
    my opinions at my web page.

    Unfortunately, we don't yet know whether there really is any
    meat behind all this. If there is, SCO has so far managed to
    do just about everything possible to convince me of the opposite
    opinion, but that's not necessarily meaningful. Bumbling
    stupid fools sometimes do win court cases. They also sometimes
    win for all the wrong reasons and frankly that's bothering me more
    than whether SCO is slinging horse manure or not. If code
    really was stolen (and it wasn't code that they themselves lifted
    from somewhere else), fine, they have a right to compensation. But
    technologically naive judges and juries might just award them
    the goods regardless, and THAT would frost me six ways from Sunday.

  6. #6

    com wrote in message news:<bk01dq$m0p$std.com>...
    > [/ref]

    > I've been ed at SCO's management for long before the latest
    > crop took charge.
    >
    > I think "criminal" is too strong a word, though. But yeah, I
    > am pretty upset about all of it. If you want, you can read
    > my opinions at my web page.[/ref]

    Well let me try to change your mind about this.

    Tell me, what reason would SCO have to purchase Vultus? Vultus makes
    a product that runs only under Windows and only on Internet Explorer,
    and SCO makes a Unix operating system which doesn't run Windows
    applications. Vultus happens to have been mostly owned by Canopy.
    The majority of SCO's stock is owned by Canopy. Vultus was located in
    the same physical building as SCO is. From my point of view, Canopy
    directed SCO to buy Vultus so that Canopy could sell Vultus and get
    some of their investment money back. Do you have any other rational
    explanations? This is called investor fraud.

    Tell me, when a bunch of corporate officers start claiming they are
    going to audit AIX users when they have no legal right to do it in
    order to force a settlement with IBM or to be bought out by IBM - is
    that criminal behavior?

    Tell me, when a bunch of corporate officers libel a bunch of people
    and IN ADDITION call them thieves and terrorists, is that criminal
    behavior?

    Tell me, when a bunch of corporate officers state that if you don't
    buy a "license" for SCO Unix (this was their initial plan) they
    wouldn't sue you for using Linux, is that barratry or extortion - are
    either of those criminal behaviors? Especially when they have no
    legal right to do this and they are fully aware of this?

    If SCO isn't run by criminals it's run by something that walks like a
    duck and quacks like a duck, but isn't a duck. Sure seems like a duck
    though. If these excuses for corporate officers aren't criminals,
    it's only because of a nuance in the legal system that they aren't.

    I wouldn't do business with any company that employs either Chris
    Sontag, Darl McBride, or Blake Stowell because they have proven to be
    human garbage and each one of them has shown you cannot entrust your
    business to them. They are nothing but thugs trying to become
    parasites on the the tech sector. If it wasn't for Linux, these 3
    dirtbags wouldn't even have jobs at SCO, maybe they'd even be doing
    something productive. If it wasn't for Linux, Caldera wouldn't have
    been able to buy the SCO name, or SCO Unix, or Xenix. You really
    think these backstabbing lowlifes aren't criminals? I bet most
    mobsters have better morals than these three.
    fuzzywzhe Guest