Professional Web Applications Themes

SCO's Stand-up comedian Kieran O’Shaughnessy performs live at AUUG... - SCO

<Insert your own laughter track as you read through the "facts" brought forth by latest clown from the SCO stable> Less than one week after SCO allegedly stated it had no plans to take action against commercial Linux users, the company’s Australia and New Zealand managing director, Kieran "Coco" O’Shaughnessy, has reignited the threat. Speaking as part of a panel session at the Australian Unix Users Group (AUUG) annual conference in Sydney yesterday, O’Shaughnessy faced a hostile audience, including FreeBSD developer and AUUG president, Greg Lehey. At the event O'Shaughnessy was forced to admit the legal threat against Linux users ...

  1. #1

    Default SCO's Stand-up comedian Kieran O’Shaughnessy performs live at AUUG...

    <Insert your own laughter track as you read through the "facts"
    brought forth by latest clown from the SCO stable>

    Less than one week after SCO allegedly stated it had no plans to take
    action against commercial Linux users, the company’s Australia and New
    Zealand managing director, Kieran "Coco" O’Shaughnessy, has reignited
    the threat.

    Speaking as part of a panel session at the Australian Unix Users Group
    (AUUG) annual conference in Sydney yesterday, O’Shaughnessy faced a
    hostile audience, including FreeBSD developer and AUUG president, Greg
    Lehey.

    At the event O'Shaughnessy was forced to admit the legal threat
    against Linux users remained.

    With the audience clearly fuming at what they were hearing,
    O’Shaughnessy pointed out that the company’s legal pursuits were not
    targeted at end-users, but did make a sinister reference to businesses
    that use Linux.

    There may be problems with commercial Linux users, he said. The SCO
    licence for Linux will be available in Australia and New Zealand
    within the next couple of months.

    Despite SCO's reticence when asked to offer a single byte of proof for
    their claims of IP theft by the OS community, O'Shaughnessy blundered,
    "it is our desire to share information among interest groups".

    This IP battle is only one part of SCO’s [extortion] business and is
    an add-on component," he said. "The core of SCO’s business is
    profitable." However, Kieren refused to state exactly what comprises
    the core of SCO's business, since they no longer develop any software
    products, and customers are reportedly fleeing in droves.

    One can only assume the "core" of SCO's business is stock price
    inflation, and nice profits for the directors as they continue to sell
    shares as fast as possible while remaining just under the SEC radar...
    Scott Guest

  3. #3

    Scott wrote:

    Must be time to sell some more stock.

    I'm sure Greg had some choice questions.

    Forced to admit? He probably couldn't wait to get that out in the open.

    I'm sure the Linux community is shaking in their boots. I'm looking for
    my check book right now.

    Translation: "We're not getting much response to our extortion demands
    in the US, so we thought we'd give you folks down under a go".

    You just know that O'Shaughnessy is quietly thinking, "Surely they
    wouldn't ask Fat Tony to actually break an arm to prove his 'case'
    before paying him, so why won't they just cough up the cash for
    us?.....I just don't get it at all."

    And he said all this with a straight face?

    At 50 to (now) 80 thousand bucks a pop, those guys are making money hand
    over fist as they sell off 5,000 shares at a time. You have to admit
    they seem to have adapted their business model to one that makes some
    money for them. ;-) BTW, don't you think that's quite an interesting
    IT job....make outlandishly unsubstantiated claims, sell stock, make
    money. Why didn't we all think of that?

    michael

    Anthony Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, Sep 05, 2003, Scott wrote:

    I would laugh more if this post didn't contain proprietary non-ascii
    characters making it somewhat messy:

    http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    Memoirs -- Bill Clinton is getting $12 million for his memoirs, and his
    wife Hillary got $8 million for hers. That's $20 million for memories from
    two people who for eight years repeatedly testified they couldn't remember
    anything.
    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    Perhaps if it were translated to Latin?
    Dave Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, Sep 12, 2003, Dave Shott wrote:

    Illegitimi no carborundum est.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it is time to
    pause and reflect.''
    -- Mark Twain

    Bill Guest