Professional Web Applications Themes

SCO upgrade prices - SCO

Is it just me? I do NOT understand the upgrade pricing. The price list I have says Trade-In: All versions of SCO OpenServer prior to Release 5.0.6 or any release of SCO Open Desktop, SCO UNIX, or SCO XENIX require a Trade-In license to bring the system current with SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7. When using a Trade-In license to bring the system current with SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7 from any previous SCO Operating System listed above, a Fresh installation is required. A Fresh installation and new license is also required when upgrading SCO Merge 5.1 to NeTraverse Merg e 5.3 ...

  1. #1

    Default SCO upgrade prices

    Is it just me?

    I do NOT understand the upgrade pricing.

    The price list I have says

    Trade-In: All versions of SCO OpenServer prior to Release 5.0.6 or any
    release of SCO Open Desktop, SCO UNIX, or SCO XENIX require a Trade-In
    license to bring the system current with SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7.
    When using a Trade-In license to bring the system current with SCO
    OpenServer Release 5.0.7 from any previous SCO Operating System listed
    above, a Fresh installation is required. A Fresh installation and new
    license is also required when upgrading SCO Merge 5.1 to NeTraverse Merg
    e 5.3 on SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7.

    Inter-Edition Trade-In: Customers wishing to migrate from an SCO
    OpenServer Desktop or SCO OpenServer Host System to the SCO OpenServer
    Enterprise System must also purchase an Inter-Edition Trade-In license
    a s well as an Upgrade or Trade-In license, to bring the system up to
    the current SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7.

    Great. But if you add up the costs, that's the same as buying new!

    So what part numbers do I really need for upgrades from
    pre 5.0.6 and 3.2v4.2 ? Host to Host, Host to Enterprise, etc.

    BTW, I've asked distributors and haven't had a sensible answer yet.

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]

  2. #2

    Default Re: SCO upgrade prices

    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] wrote:
    > Is it just me?
    >
    > I do NOT understand the upgrade pricing.
    >
    > The price list I have says
    >
    > Trade-In: All versions of SCO OpenServer prior to Release 5.0.6
    > or any release of SCO Open Desktop, SCO UNIX, or SCO XENIX require
    > a Trade-In license to bring the system current with SCO OpenServer
    > Release 5.0.7. When using a Trade-In license to bring the system
    > current with SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7 from any previous SCO
    > Operating System listed above, a Fresh installation is required.
    > A Fresh installation and new license is also required when
    > upgrading SCO Merge 5.1 to NeTraverse Merg e 5.3 on SCO OpenServer
    > Release 5.0.7.
    >
    > Inter-Edition Trade-In: Customers wishing to migrate from an SCO
    > OpenServer Desktop or SCO OpenServer Host System to the SCO
    > OpenServer Enterprise System must also purchase an Inter-Edition
    > Trade-In license a s well as an Upgrade or Trade-In license, to
    > bring the system up to the current SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7.
    >
    > Great. But if you add up the costs, that's the same as buying
    > new!
    >
    > So what part numbers do I really need for upgrades from
    > pre 5.0.6 and 3.2v4.2 ? Host to Host, Host to Enterprise, etc.
    >
    > BTW, I've asked distributors and haven't had a sensible answer
    > yet.
    In June, after some discussion on this subject with Tony, I asked DTR
    Business Systems to quote a similar upgrade - 5.0.5 Host to 5.0.7
    Enterprise, and they came up with what Tony says - about the same as
    buying new.

    In July, I converted two SCO 5.0.5 clients (12-user, and 6-user) and
    one Novell client (40-user) to RedHat Linux 9 instead of doing SCO
    upgrades. My time charges for the Linux conversions came out about the
    same as for SCO in-place upgrades or fresh installs.

    --
    Bill Burns, Long Island, NY, USA
    mailto:billbftldesign.com

  3. #3

    Bill:

    I don't know if the following is relevant to you, but this is my own
    experience with a SCO OpenServer upgrade (V5.0.2 to V5.0.7):

    According to SCO, you only need to purchase the electronic upgrade
    license for the base O/S. Then, there is an OSS that you must apply
    to allow you to install your old user bump licenses on the new 5.0.7
    box.

    So, you have to buy the O/S upgrade ($350 - $400 or so) regardless of
    how many users the box supports.

    I hope that this helps!
    Ken Morley Guest

  4. #4

    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] wrote in message news:<bgefgs$viq$3pcls4.std.com>...
    > Is it just me?
    >
    > I do NOT understand the upgrade pricing.
    >
    > The price list I have says
    >
    > Trade-In: All versions of SCO OpenServer prior to Release 5.0.6 or any
    > release of SCO Open Desktop, SCO UNIX, or SCO XENIX require a Trade-In
    > license to bring the system current with SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7.
    > When using a Trade-In license to bring the system current with SCO
    > OpenServer Release 5.0.7 from any previous SCO Operating System listed
    > above, a Fresh installation is required. A Fresh installation and new
    > license is also required when upgrading SCO Merge 5.1 to NeTraverse Merg
    > e 5.3 on SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7.
    >
    > Inter-Edition Trade-In: Customers wishing to migrate from an SCO
    > OpenServer Desktop or SCO OpenServer Host System to the SCO OpenServer
    > Enterprise System must also purchase an Inter-Edition Trade-In license
    > a s well as an Upgrade or Trade-In license, to bring the system up to
    > the current SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7.
    >
    > Great. But if you add up the costs, that's the same as buying new!
    >
    > So what part numbers do I really need for upgrades from
    > pre 5.0.6 and 3.2v4.2 ? Host to Host, Host to Enterprise, etc.
    >
    > BTW, I've asked distributors and haven't had a sensible answer yet.
    Tony,

    Order the media kit (Model number CA200-UX04-5.0.7) and then for a pre
    5.0.6 Host to Host you need:

    LX241-UX10-5.0.7

    This will take you to 507 Host. Then to go from 507 Host to 507
    Enterprise
    you need:

    LX261-X241-5.0.7

    These do not add up to any where near the cost of the full product.
    The difference is above $200.

    Does this help?

    John
    John Boland Guest

  5. #5

    John Boland <jbolandsco.com> wrote:
    >tonyaplawrence.com wrote in message news:<bgefgs$viq$3pcls4.std.com>...
    >> Is it just me?
    >>
    >> I do NOT understand the upgrade pricing.
    >>
    >> The price list I have says
    >>
    >> Trade-In: All versions of SCO OpenServer prior to Release 5.0.6 or any
    >> release of SCO Open Desktop, SCO UNIX, or SCO XENIX require a Trade-In
    >> license to bring the system current with SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7.
    >> When using a Trade-In license to bring the system current with SCO
    >> OpenServer Release 5.0.7 from any previous SCO Operating System listed
    >> above, a Fresh installation is required. A Fresh installation and new
    >> license is also required when upgrading SCO Merge 5.1 to NeTraverse Merg
    >> e 5.3 on SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7.
    >>
    >> Inter-Edition Trade-In: Customers wishing to migrate from an SCO
    >> OpenServer Desktop or SCO OpenServer Host System to the SCO OpenServer
    >> Enterprise System must also purchase an Inter-Edition Trade-In license
    >> a s well as an Upgrade or Trade-In license, to bring the system up to
    >> the current SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7.
    >>
    >> Great. But if you add up the costs, that's the same as buying new!
    >>
    >> So what part numbers do I really need for upgrades from
    >> pre 5.0.6 and 3.2v4.2 ? Host to Host, Host to Enterprise, etc.
    >>
    >> BTW, I've asked distributors and haven't had a sensible answer yet.
    >Tony,
    >Order the media kit (Model number CA200-UX04-5.0.7) and then for a pre
    >5.0.6 Host to Host you need:
    >LX241-UX10-5.0.7
    >This will take you to 507 Host. Then to go from 507 Host to 507
    >Enterprise
    >you need:
    >LX261-X241-5.0.7
    >These do not add up to any where near the cost of the full product.
    >The difference is above $200.
    >Does this help?
    Yes, thanks. But can you explain what that other nonsense means and when
    it would apply?

  6. #6

    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] wrote in message news:<bh8dgc$jnu$1pcls4.std.com>...
    > John Boland <jbolandsco.com> wrote:
    > >tonyaplawrence.com wrote in message news:<bgefgs$viq$3pcls4.std.com>...
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Yes, thanks. But can you explain what that other nonsense means and when
    > it would apply?
    Tony,

    I checked the thread and cannot find any other questions that need a response.
    If you can explain the other issues you have I will be happy to answer them.

    Thanks,

    John
    John Boland Guest

  7. #7

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, John Boland wrote:
    > [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] wrote in message news:<bhaoe6$6i4$1pcls4.std.com>...
    > > What does:
    > >
    > > Inter-Edition Trade-In: Customers wishing to migrate from an SCO
    > > OpenServer Desktop or SCO OpenServer Host System to the SCO OpenServer
    > > Enterprise System must also purchase an Inter-Edition Trade-In license as
    > > well as an Upgrade or Trade-In license, to bring the system up to the
    > > current SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7.
    > >
    > > apply to?
    >
    > Tony,
    >
    > What this text is trying to say is, if you want to go from:
    >
    > OpenServer Desktop 5.0.0/2/4/5/6 to OpenServer Enterprise 5.0.7
    >
    > or from:
    >
    > OpenServer Host 5.0.0/2/4/5/6 to OpenServer Enterprise 5.0.7
    >
    > then you need to purchase:
    >
    > 1) An Upgrade or Trade-In license to get you to 5.0.7 Desktop/Host
    > 2) An Inter-Edition license to get you to 507 Enterprise
    >
    > In other words, the Inter-Edition license upgrade is for 5.0.7 customers
    > only.
    >
    > Does this help?

    John;
    While I agree with your explanation and tell my customers the bad news,
    it does not help that the printed description on the LX261-X241-5.0.7
    Interedition Trade-In License has the following description:

    SCO OpenServer 5.0.7
    Enterprise System From
    SCO OpenServer 5.0.0/
    5.0.5 Host System

    which would SEEM to obviate the need for the LX241-UX10W-5.0.7 Host
    Trade-In License.

    Thank you,
    Lucky

    Lucky Leavell Phone: (800) 481-2393 or (812) 366-4066
    UniXpress - Your Source for SCO FAX: (888) 231-9640 or (812) 366-3618
    1560 Zoar Church Road NE Email: [email]luckyUniXpress.com[/email]
    Corydon, IN 47112-7374 WWW Home Page: [url]http://www.UniXpress.com[/url]
    Lucky Leavell [RIS] Guest

  8. #8

    "Lucky Leavell [RIS]" <risiglou.com> wrote in message news:<Pine.GSO.4.56.0308151131300.18301shell1>...
    > John;
    > While I agree with your explanation and tell my customers the bad news,
    > it does not help that the printed description on the LX261-X241-5.0.7
    > Interedition Trade-In License has the following description:
    >
    > SCO OpenServer 5.0.7
    > Enterprise System From
    > SCO OpenServer 5.0.0/
    > 5.0.5 Host System
    >
    > which would SEEM to obviate the need for the LX241-UX10W-5.0.7 Host
    > Trade-In License.
    Lucky,

    Thanks for pointing this out. This is a mistake in the License Text. I
    am not working to get our Manufacturing group to change the text on
    any new licenses we issue.

    Sorry for the confusion.

    John
    John Boland Guest