Professional Web Applications Themes

SCOANSI terminal emulation with Konsole on Linux/KDE - SCO

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:33:06 -0700, Matt Lewis wrote: > I have found a nice way to get those difficult scoansi apps exa. (Open > Systems Accounting) OSAS to look nice on linux without messing with the > termcap or any startup values. > > The sco server must have ssh daemon installed for this to work. > > On Linux. > > start konsole with > > konsole --type linux --tn linux > > The --tn linux sets the TERM= variable to linux. Yes this is necessary. > Setting TERM=ansi or TERM=scoansi does not seem to work. > ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: SCOANSI terminal emulation with Konsole on Linux/KDE

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:33:06 -0700, Matt Lewis wrote:
    > I have found a nice way to get those difficult scoansi apps exa. (Open
    > Systems Accounting) OSAS to look nice on linux without messing with the
    > termcap or any startup values.
    >
    > The sco server must have ssh daemon installed for this to work.
    >
    > On Linux.
    >
    > start konsole with
    >
    > konsole --type linux --tn linux
    >
    > The --tn linux sets the TERM= variable to linux. Yes this is necessary.
    > Setting TERM=ansi or TERM=scoansi does not seem to work.
    >
    > This starts a konsole session with terminal type linux console
    >
    > Then in the konsole type
    >
    > ssh -t -l username system command
    >
    > The -t is the most important part here. It forces sco to assign a
    > pseudo tty. Linux uses these settings in some way to correctly make the
    > terminal work. Without the -t the terminal settings are completely
    > different.
    >
    > To open a shell with a nicely setup terminal use
    >
    > ssh -t -l username system sh
    >
    > In konsole you can add a bookmark for this so it is mostly automated.
    >
    > Works for me on Mandrake Linux 9.1 with a scoansi app that has been real
    > difficult to get going until now.
    >
    > Note: You may need to change the default font for the linux konsole for
    > scoansi to work. I use Courier New.
    >
    > --Matt
    That does _not_ create a good scoansi compatible terminal on linux. I
    don't care how well it happens to be working for your particular app.

    after you log in this way, what does echo $TERM say on unix? "linux" ?
    there is no linux termcap or terminfo definitions on a stock sco unix box,
    so 99.9% of programs will not work at all unless they don't need any
    special knowledge of the terminal to work. For example, the "ls" command
    will work, "vi" will not.

    The only other way your app can be working is if it supplies it's _own_
    terminal capability database. Many do.

    Another possibility is if the app just happens to be hard-coded to use
    basic ansi emulation, and just happens to not need anything even remotely
    fancy such as F-keys. In this case it's only working by simple virtue of
    the fact that both scoansi and linux are based on vt/ansi style emulation.

    There is nothing magical about ssh or pseudo-tty's in this either.

    If anything else works on your setup as it is now, then it is only because
    you have in fact "messed with termcap or terminfo" and managed to get
    functional linux definitions added to one or both on the unix box. That is
    what "TERM=linux" works with. You run a program, program reads your $TERM,
    takes that value and searches all of termcap or terminfo for a match or in
    some cases it searches it's own private termcap or other form of private
    terminal capabiliy database, if it finds a match, the program works, if it
    doesn't find it it doesn't work. Simple as that.

    Do not tell people that which you do not know. The most you can say is
    that you found a way to make one particular application work.

    --
    Brian K. White -- [email]brianaljex.com[/email] -- [url]http://www.aljex.com/bkw/[/url]
    filePro BBx Linux SCO Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD #callahans Satriani

    Brian K. White Guest

  2. #2

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:43:28 -0400, "Brian K. White" <brianaljex.com>
    wrote:
    >Do not tell people that which you do not know. The most you can say is
    >that you found a way to make one particular application work.
    Hey, the guy was sharing information. We can all use our judgement
    with respect to its validity.

    Brian Lavender Guest

  3. #3

    Brian K. White wrote:
> [...]
    > the fact that both scoansi and linux are based on vt/ansi style emulation.
    >

    > There is nothing magical about ssh or pseudo-tty's in this either.
    >
    > If anything else works on your setup as it is now, then it is only because
    > you have in fact "messed with termcap or terminfo" and managed to get
    > functional linux definitions added to one or both on the unix box. That is
    > what "TERM=linux" works with. You run a program, program reads your $TERM,
    > takes that value and searches all of termcap or terminfo for a match or in
    > some cases it searches it's own private termcap or other form of private
    > terminal capabiliy database, if it finds a match, the program works, if it
    > doesn't find it it doesn't work. Simple as that.
    >
    > Do not tell people that which you do not know. The most you can say is
    > that you found a way to make one particular application work.

    Try it out. Also the following helps.

    In /etc/rc.d/rc.local append

    consolechars -m cp437
    loadkeys es-cp850