Professional Web Applications Themes

scp problems - again - AIX

I don't know what it is, but I seem to have more problems with scp than all the other bits of ssh put together. Anyway, here is my current problem. I have 3 machines, all connected together via a 10/100 switch. #1 Sun Ultra 80, (called sparrow), Solaris 9, Sun's ssh, based on OpenSSH. #2 HP C3000, (called robin), HP-UX, openssh-3.6p1 #3 IBM RS/6000, (called starling), AIX 5.2, openssh-3.6p1 All 3 machines have the public key of #1 (the Sun) in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys. I can copy a file from the Sun to the HP box (robin) with no problems. sparrow /export/home/davek ...

  1. #1

    Default scp problems - again

    #1 Sun Ultra 80, (called sparrow), Solaris 9, Sun's ssh, based on
    OpenSSH.
    #2 HP C3000, (called robin), HP-UX, openssh-3.6p1
    #3 IBM RS/6000, (called starling), AIX 5.2, openssh-3.6p1

    All 3 machines have the public key of #1 (the Sun) in
    ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.

    I can copy a file from the Sun to the HP box (robin) with no problems.

    sparrow /export/home/davek % /usr/bin/scp -v test.c davekrobin:/tmp
    Executing: program /usr/bin/ssh host robin, user davek, command scp -v
    -t /tmp
    Sending file modes: C0644 295 test.c
    test.c 100%
    |************************************************* ***************|
    295 00:00
    sparrow /export/home/davek %

    But I can't copy the same file to the IBM RS/6000 which is running AIX
    5.2.

    sparrow /export/home/davek % /usr/bin/scp -v test.c
    davekstarling:/tmp
    Executing: program /usr/bin/ssh host starling, user davek, command scp
    -v -t /tmp
    scp: Command not found.
    lost connection

    So why the hell scp is found at one point and not at another is odd.
    Clearly scp was found the second time, since it generates a 'lost
    connection' message.

    So you might conclude the sshd server is not running on the IBM
    (starling), but that is not so, as I can ssh to it with no problems.

    sparrow /export/home/davek % ssh starling

    * Welcome to AIX Version
    5.2! * Please see the
    README file in /usr/lpp/bos for information pertinent to *
    * this release of the AIX Operating
    System.
    starling /home/davek %

    Any ideas ??

    Dr. David Kirkby,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Department of Medical Physics,
    University College London,
    11-20 Capper St, London, WC1E 6JA.
    Tel: 020 7679 6408 Fax: 020 7679 6269
    Internal telephone: ext 46408
    e-mail [email]davekmedphys.ucl.ac.uk[/email]
    Dr. David Kirkby Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: scp problems - again

    In article <3F29C313.49CABBF7ntlworld.com>, Dr. David Kirkby <drkirkbyntlworld.com> wrote:
    > I don't know what it is, but I seem to have more problems with scp
    > than all the other bits of ssh put together. Anyway, here is my
    > current problem.
    >
    > I have 3 machines, all connected together via a 10/100 switch.
    >
    > #1 Sun Ultra 80, (called sparrow), Solaris 9, Sun's ssh, based on
    > OpenSSH.
    > #2 HP C3000, (called robin), HP-UX, openssh-3.6p1
    > #3 IBM RS/6000, (called starling), AIX 5.2, openssh-3.6p1
    >
    > All 3 machines have the public key of #1 (the Sun) in
    > ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.
    >
    > I can copy a file from the Sun to the HP box (robin) with no problems.
    >
    > sparrow /export/home/davek % /usr/bin/scp -v test.c davekrobin:/tmp
    > Executing: program /usr/bin/ssh host robin, user davek, command scp -v
    > -t /tmp
    > Sending file modes: C0644 295 test.c
    > test.c 100%
    >|************************************************ ****************|
    > 295 00:00
    > sparrow /export/home/davek %
    >
    > But I can't copy the same file to the IBM RS/6000 which is running AIX
    > 5.2.
    >
    > sparrow /export/home/davek % /usr/bin/scp -v test.c
    > davekstarling:/tmp
    > Executing: program /usr/bin/ssh host starling, user davek, command scp
    > -v -t /tmp
    > scp: Command not found.
    > lost connection
    Add /usr/local/bin to the end of the line containing 'PATH' in
    /etc/environment on the AIX box. No further action needed -- it will work
    on the next scp attempt.

    /etc/environment (on an AIX machine) always gets executed, even for
    non-interactive logins, so if /usr/local/bin is listed in PATH there, scp
    will work correctly.

    It is best to make sure /usr/local/bin is listed at the *end* of the PATH
    definition or you may run into some seriously weird stuff in very specific
    and unique situations (as we did, once or twice).

    In that case, it was running GNU awk rather than AIX awk, which broke SMIT
    in very interesting ways for a specific SMIT menu screen. Rearranging PATH
    to use /usr/local/bin *last* made everything work again and preserved other
    functionality such as ssh/scp.

    -Dan
    (emailed as a courtesy; also posted to USENET)
    Dan Foster Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    "Dr. David Kirkby" <drkirkbyntlworld.com> writes:
    >But I can't copy the same file to the IBM RS/6000 which is running AIX
    >5.2.
    >sparrow /export/home/davek % /usr/bin/scp -v test.c
    >davekstarling:/tmp
    >Executing: program /usr/bin/ssh host starling, user davek, command scp
    >-v -t /tmp
    >scp: Command not found.
    >lost connection
    It's a path problem.
    >So why the hell scp is found at one point and not at another is odd.
    >Clearly scp was found the second time, since it generates a 'lost
    >connection' message.
    The local scp is found. The remote scp (on starling) is not
    found.

    Check the output from:

    ssh davekstarling 'echo $PATH'
    >So you might conclude the sshd server is not running on the IBM
    No, it is clearly running.

    Neil W Rickert Guest

  6. #6

    "Dr. David Kirkby" <drkirkbyntlworld.com> writes:
    >But I can't copy the same file to the IBM RS/6000 which is running AIX
    >5.2.
    >sparrow /export/home/davek % /usr/bin/scp -v test.c
    >davekstarling:/tmp
    >Executing: program /usr/bin/ssh host starling, user davek, command scp
    >-v -t /tmp
    >scp: Command not found.
    >lost connection
    It's a path problem.

  7. #7

    Dan Foster wrote:

    > In article <3F29C313.49CABBF7ntlworld.com>, Dr. David Kirkby <drkirkbyntlworld.com> wrote:
    > > I don't know what it is, but I seem to have more problems with scp
    > > than all the other bits of ssh put together. Anyway, here is my
    > > current problem.
    > >
    > > I have 3 machines, all connected together via a 10/100 switch.
    > >
    > > #1 Sun Ultra 80, (called sparrow), Solaris 9, Sun's ssh, based on
    > > OpenSSH.
    > > #2 HP C3000, (called robin), HP-UX, openssh-3.6p1
    > > #3 IBM RS/6000, (called starling), AIX 5.2, openssh-3.6p1
    > >
    > > All 3 machines have the public key of #1 (the Sun) in
    > > ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.
    > >
    > > I can copy a file from the Sun to the HP box (robin) with no problems.
    > >
    > > sparrow /export/home/davek % /usr/bin/scp -v test.c davekrobin:/tmp
    > > Executing: program /usr/bin/ssh host robin, user davek, command scp -v
    > > -t /tmp
    > > Sending file modes: C0644 295 test.c
    > > test.c 100%
    > >|************************************************ ****************|
    > > 295 00:00
    > > sparrow /export/home/davek %
    > >
    > > But I can't copy the same file to the IBM RS/6000 which is running AIX
    > > 5.2.
    > >
    > > sparrow /export/home/davek % /usr/bin/scp -v test.c
    > > davekstarling:/tmp
    > > Executing: program /usr/bin/ssh host starling, user davek, command scp
    > > -v -t /tmp
    > > scp: Command not found.
    > > lost connection
    >
    > Add /usr/local/bin to the end of the line containing 'PATH' in
    > /etc/environment on the AIX box. No further action needed -- it will work
    > on the next scp attempt.
    >
    > /etc/environment (on an AIX machine) always gets executed, even for
    > non-interactive logins, so if /usr/local/bin is listed in PATH there, scp
    > will work correctly.
    >
    > It is best to make sure /usr/local/bin is listed at the *end* of the PATH
    > definition or you may run into some seriously weird stuff in very specific
    > and unique situations (as we did, once or twice).
    >
    > In that case, it was running GNU awk rather than AIX awk, which broke SMIT
    > in very interesting ways for a specific SMIT menu screen. Rearranging PATH
    > to use /usr/local/bin *last* made everything work again and preserved other
    > functionality such as ssh/scp.
    >
    > -Dan
    > (emailed as a courtesy; also posted to USENET)
    Thanks Dan,
    I've just switched the IBM off (its in my garage), but will try that
    tommorow. Cheers.

  8. #8