Professional Web Applications Themes

Scratch and Windows file error message - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I recently purchased Photoshop 7.0 and when I load it, I get a message reading: You currently have Adobe Photoshop's primary Scatch and Windows' primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop's primary Scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on a different physical drive. I have no idea what this means. I went to Edit and Preferences then Plugins & Scratch Disks and under Scratch Disk, the first box said Startup so I changed it to C:\ and I still received this message. What ...

  1. #1

    Default Scratch and Windows file error message

    I recently purchased Photoshop 7.0 and when I load it, I get a message reading: You currently have Adobe Photoshop's primary Scatch and Windows' primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop's primary Scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on a different physical drive.

    I have no idea what this means. I went to Edit and Preferences then Plugins & Scratch Disks and under Scratch Disk, the first box said Startup so I changed it to C:\ and I still received this message. What does this really mean and how to fix the problem? Thanks.
    jcu2003 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Scratch and Windows file error message

    It means _exactly_ what it says.

    You might want to search other topics that ask the same exact question.
    Chris Cox Guest

  3. #3

    I did search and couldnt find it that's why I asked it here. Thanks for your help though.
    jcu2003 Guest

  4. #4

    It's a courtesy message only.

    If you have two hard drives, set your scratch disc to the second hard drive. If you don't, set it to Startup or "C:". One of them makes the message go away, I just can't remember which one.

    The reason is that PS is very disk intensinve. In a perfect world, you would have the temporary files that PS writes on a volume that is different than your OS's swapfile (usually C).

    Some people create dedicated partitions on their C drive and use that partition for Photoshop. While doing that will make the message go away, there's no increase in performance, while, on a separate physical hard drive there *may* be an increase in performance. If there is an increase in performanc at all, you won't notice it except in the most extreme of cirstance.

    Bottom line? Don't worry about the message, and if you want it to go away, change the scratch file settings under Edit|Preferences.

    Peace,
    Tony
    YrbkMgr Guest

  5. #5

    change the scratch file settings under Edit|Preferences.

    he did tony....

    I went to Edit and Preferences then Plugins & Scratch Disks and under
    Scratch Disk, the first box said Startup so I changed it to C:\ and I
    still received this message.

    That's strange. That should clear it. Are you sure your prefrences are saving? Are they write protectec? Are you an admin on your box?
    dave milbut Guest

  6. #6

    Jeeze - sorry. I missed that.
    YrbkMgr Guest

  7. #7

    Woo Hoo! good to hear you got it sorted.
    YrbkMgr Guest

  8. #8

    cool beans!
    dave milbut Guest

  9. #9

    I am having the same error on PS 7. The fix worked with PS 6 but on PS 7 the screen does not stay on long enough for me to click on Edit! If I cannot click on it I do not know how I will be able to correct the situation. It worked fine for PS6 but the screen stayed on for me to make the correction there. Any ideas of another way I can get to the EDIT ? Thanks. W T Bird
    Unregistered Guest

  10. #10

    How can you go into preferences if you can't open photoshop, due to scratch volume error?
    Unregistered Guest

  11. #11

    Post Re: Scratch and Windows file error message

    Here is the solution. When you open Photoshop quickly press ctrl alt and spacebar at the same time which will allow you to access make the necessary changes. It is better if you have a second hard drive to assign the scratch. Photoshop 7 doesn't do well if you assign it to your large primary drive. Otherwise you will have to partition your primary drive first.
    DonTomas Guest