Professional Web Applications Themes

Scratch disk what? - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

The message is a courtesy message only. Photoshop operates optimally when it can write its temporary information to a volume that is different than that of your OS's swap file. If you have only one hard drive, under Edit|Preferences|Memory and Scratch Disks, set it to C:\ instead of Startup. No harm will come from the message nor from running it on C:\. If you have a second hard drive, set it to that, provided you have the free space....

  1. #1

    Default Re: Scratch disk what?

    The message is a courtesy message only. Photoshop operates optimally when it can write its temporary information to a volume that is different than that of your OS's swap file. If you have only one hard drive, under Edit|Preferences|Memory and Scratch Disks, set it to C:\ instead of Startup.

    No harm will come from the message nor from running it on C:\. If you have a second hard drive, set it to that, provided you have the free space.
    YrbkMgr Guest

  2. #2

    Thank you. :)
    Jimmy Vickery Guest

  3. #3

    Uh, I just got that error message again. This time I wrote it down. It reads:

    You currently have Photoshop's primary scratch and Window's primary paging file on the same volume. It is recommended that you set Photoshop's primary scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on a physical drive.

    What does this mean? Also, is this a "problem", or is this one of those warnings that I need to ignore? After all there was only two settings for the scratch disk, and that was "startup" or "Drive C". If there is nothing else left to try, what else is there to do?
    Jimmy Vickery Guest

  4. #4

    It is as I posted in post #1. A courtesy message only. Go to your preferences and set the Scratch disk to drive C:\. Close photoshop, then restart it.
    YrbkMgr Guest

  5. #5

    And the answer hasn't changed.....

    It's not an error, and it means _exactly_ what it says.
    Chris Cox Guest

  6. #6

    Wow, did I break a rule or something.:(
    Jimmy Vickery Guest

  7. #7

    it depends, are you wearing blue today (or is it red...)?
    dave milbut Guest

  8. #8

    What the message doesn't say is *why* that's recommended.

    But *I* did in post #1 <smile>
    YrbkMgr Guest

  9. #9

    Jimmy,
    >>did I break a rule or something<<
    No, that's just Chris's style <g>

    (Chris is one of the Photoshop engineers - if you look at the splash screen
    you will see his name there)

    LenHewitt Guest

  10. #10

    Tony, when are you gonna learn. NO ONE -- EVER reads post #1. :)

    That's what, like the 3rd time this week that's happened?
    dave milbut Guest

  11. #11

    <sigh> yes....
    YrbkMgr Guest

  12. #12

    Len,

    I was concerned with the quote, "The message is a courtesy message only."

    When I read between the lines, I got the impression that my post created a problem. When I worked in the food business that quote was a nice way of saying, "Don't you ever bring this subject up again."

    Also, I understood post #1. However, I didn't reboot when I followed instructions. Therefore, I thought the first question wasn't even realted to the problem when the message poped up in Photoshop again. Also, I am new to computers and it is not like I have taken command of the language yet. :(
    Jimmy Vickery Guest

  13. #13

    I was concerned with the quote, "The message is a courtesy message only."

    When I read between the lines, I got the impression that my post created
    a problem

    jimmy, no. tony's a good guy. That message is a courtesy message to you from photoshop telling you that you're ok, BUT you'll get better performance if you move the scatch file. I agree it's a little confusing. There are a bunch of posts here on that one, going way back. Maybe they can fix it so it doesn't look so much like an error in the next version.

    dave
    dave milbut Guest