Professional Web Applications Themes

Screen lightness does not match print lightness in PE2 - Adobe Photoshop Elements

It seems to me that bad monitor calibration would affect the print preview in the same way it affects the opened image. But the print preview looks fine. So I don't believe it is monitor calibration....

  1. #1

    Default Re: Screen lightness does not match print lightness in PE2

    It seems to me that bad monitor calibration would affect the print preview in the same way it affects the opened image. But the print preview looks fine. So I don't believe it is monitor calibration.
    C. Ron Charlton Guest

  2. #2

    Ron, Elements would be the only color managed application of the ones you listed. It's pretty common for images to display differently in it than in others if the monitor hasn't been calibrated.

    I'm not sure your assumptions are necessarily correct. Anything generated by the operating system - such as thumbnails and print preview - aren't a particularly good standard to use for comparison against color managed software. And, you give no information about the printer you're using. That, too, can have a bearing on how your printed images compare with what you see on the screen.

    Have you visited Ian Lyons' site yet? He gives excellent information about all aspects of color management. I'll be back in a minute or two with the link, since I can't seem to find it in my bookmarks on this computer.
    Beth Haney Guest

  3. #3

    Okay, I'll speak up . <G> . Whether or not you select "Color management", Elements ( and Photoshop , too ) ALWAYS display the image "filtered" through the display profile created by Adobe Gamma Utility ( or another such utility ). It probably is a calibration problem, I'm thinking.
    Ian Lyons Image Flow <http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.lyons/ps7-colour/ps7_color.gif>

    <http://www.normankoren.com/Color_mgmt_flow_Sachs.gif>
    <http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_2.html#Fullmonty>
    :-)

    Brent

    ( Can't say I'm much of a resident, anymore, much less an expert, but kind words are always welcome. )
    brent bertram Guest

  4. #4

    What? You want us to gush 'cause you turned up?! :) OK! Nice to see you back, Brent!
    Beth Haney Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Beth,
    I read all the posts every day, anyway. The FORUM is still my browser start page <G>.

    I've had lots of genealogy email activity lately ( but no real progress ).

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  6. #6

    Ron, you don't say what printer you have. I agree with everyone (Hi, Brent!) that a calibration is the place to start, but it your prints are still darkish, I know that on my HP I usually need to set the ink setting down a bit from the default or my prints are dark because they are over-inked.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  7. #7

    To continue on Barbara's comment, you will get varying results depending upon the paper you use. I'd do all my experimenting on a single paper ( preferably a cheap paper , recommended by the printer manufacturer ), until I got results I could count on. Then , I'd widen my paper horizons. In my case, I use the inexpensive Epson Heavyweight Matte paper to proof all my images. The paper takes a good image, and gives me a standard to measure the glossy papers' compatibility.

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks, Brent. I fixed my problem based your help. I ran the Adobe Gamma Utility and adjusted it until the "Before" and "After" appearance was the same.

    I know that isn't ideal, but it lets my use PE2 and not make all of my other applications look like cr*p.

    Thanks to all who posted.

    Ron
    C. Ron Charlton Guest

  9. #9