Professional Web Applications Themes

screensaver prevention - PERL Beginners

Does anyone have a brilliant idea how to prevent my windows NT screensaver from starting using perl? eg. is it possible to move the mouse pointer if it hasn't been moved for the last five minutes or so? any nice and simple to use perl modules that can assist me with mouse movements?? I found several on CPAN, but which one is easiest to use for a simple task as this? JP...

  1. #1

    Default screensaver prevention

    Does anyone have a brilliant idea how to prevent my windows NT screensaver
    from starting using perl?

    eg. is it possible to move the mouse pointer if it hasn't been moved for the
    last five minutes or so?

    any nice and simple to use perl modules that can assist me with mouse
    movements??

    I found several on CPAN, but which one is easiest to use for a simple task
    as this?

    JP

    Jp Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: screensaver prevention

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, JP wrote:

    Why not just change it in the system settings?

    If that's not good enough, why not have Perl poke at the registry so
    that it can change the system settings?

    Why use Perl for this, or any scripting language for that matter?

    --
    Chris Devers com
    http://devers.homeip.net:8080/blog/

    np: 'Loser'
    by Aimee Bender, read by Matt Malloy
    from 'This American Life: Crimebusters and Crossed Wires'
    Chris Guest

  3. #3

    Maybe he doesnt have admin access to the machine? :) Just a thought...

    Dave

    > Why not just change it in the system settings?
    >
    > If that's not good enough, why not have Perl poke at the registry so
    > that it can change the system settings?
    >
    > Why use Perl for this, or any scripting language for that matter?
    >

    > --
    > Chris Devers com
    > http://devers.homeip.net:8080/blog/
    >
    > np: 'Loser'
    > by Aimee Bender, read by Matt Malloy
    > from 'This American Life: Crimebusters and Crossed Wires'
    >
    > --
    > For additional commands, e-mail: org
    > <http://learn.perl.org/> <http://learn.perl.org/first-response>
    >

    > [/ref]
    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Dave Kettmann wrote:

    You mean the screen saver isn't a user-level setting?

    How bizarre...

    --
    Chris Devers com
    http://devers.homeip.net:8080/blog/

    np: 'Santaland Diaries (complete)'
    by David Sedaris
    from 'This American Life'
    Chris Guest

  5. #5

    > Why not just change it in the system settings?
    Because my administrator turned off the permissions to change te settings

    I don't want to poke around on somebody elses system; it is not mine but a
    customer's

    because its fun! and because I know I can do it if I just know which module
    to use to easily move the pointer around.

    I don't know any other scripting language on windows

    of course I can ty my mobile phone to the mouse and call myself every few
    minutes. that way the mouse moves just a little bit by the vibration of the
    phone. but then agian, although it is fun aswell, I don't consider it wise
    to let my mobile lay around my office desk when nobody (trusted) is around
    ;o)

    JP

    Jp Guest

  6. #6

    Here is what I've been trying:

    #!perl

    use warnings;
    use strict;

    use Win32::API;
    use Tk::CursorControl;

    $cursor->moveto(0, 0, -time=>1000);

    but I receive an error:

    Global symbol "$cursor" requires explicit package name at D:\tmp\ste.pl line
    9.
    Execution of D:\tmp\ste.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

    "Jp" <nl> wrote in message
    > Because my administrator turned off the permissions to change te settings

    > I don't want to poke around on somebody elses system; it is not mine but a
    > customer's

    > because its fun! and because I know I can do it if I just know which[/ref]
    module
    > I don't know any other scripting language on windows
    >
    > of course I can ty my mobile phone to the mouse and call myself every few
    > minutes. that way the mouse moves just a little bit by the vibration of[/ref]
    the
    around

    Jp Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, JP wrote:

    It's good that your using 'use strict', but you have to be aware that
    this changes how you have to write your code. The 'use strict' pragma
    forces you to explicitly declare variables by prefixing them with "my"
    the first time they are used.

    Therefore, the fix is simply to edit this line:

    $cursor->moveto(0, 0, -time=>1000);

    to look like this instead:

    my $cursor->moveto(0, 0, -time=>1000);

    That should get you past this error.

    --
    Chris Devers com
    http://devers.homeip.net:8080/blog/

    np: 'Mr. Loh's Not Afraid to Be Naked'
    by Sandra Tsing Loh
    from 'This American Life: Lies, Sissies, and Fiascoes'
    Chris Guest

  8. #8

    On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, JP wrote:

    > Because my administrator turned off the permissions to change te settings[/ref]

    Ok, that changes everything. This was worth mentioning in your first
    mail! :-)